YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Morning all,

I'm going to be buying me some twins in the next couple of weeks and after reading several of these threads (Cheers Andy2tanx!) I'm very tempted to go straight to inverted twins. I understand how to rig them to dive them with a long hose, but as most of my diving is club based, and as people (are taught to) go for the octopus I'm keen to rig them with a donatable octopus, which may or may not be on a long hose.
If I have a long(ish?) hosed octopus, can I / should I have a long(ish?) primary. And how long should long be in each of these cases.

So many decisions to make, it's making my head hurt.

Anyways, has anyone got any experience of this?

Cheers,
     Janos

PS - Also, am I better off waiting for the show or getting my tanks from Kent Diving for £289? Can't harm to have a look round the show can it?

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Wait for the show, wait till sunday late on (cos they will only have to carry them to the van to take them back to the shop), pretend to be pissed, - they will give you a good deal to get rid of you!  Tried and tested method

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Really! And I thought you were such a sweet innocent, eh Porg?  

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Moi? sweet an innocent.....never.  I was introduced as having more balls than a lot of the blokes in my club, and a guy swore infront of me and then said "oops, ladies present", and one of the othes said "no, thats helen, not a lady".  What can i say, im a troll.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Personally I think the dive show(s) is/are over-rated, I find that I can get dive show prices (or as near as dammit) by shopping around. Plus you have to factor in the travelling, fuel costs, entrance fee, sundries en-route and back, blah blah blah...

Re inverts, long hoses (primary or otherwise) tend to be of the 6feet (2 metre) variety. Absolutely no reason why you couldn't have long(ish) hoses on both primary and secondary, as long as it's stowed tidily, whats the big deal?  

I use my regular octo hose for my necklaced backup (just a workable length) but will be getting a 1.5 metre hose in the future. For instructing purposes I've thought about rigging my long hose primary  as the "donatable" octo in the typical upside down fashion, for the benefit of the beginners, to avoid potential confusion, my 1.5m secondary will then become my primary - easy peasy lemon squeezy

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Cheers Steve,

How are you planning to route your hoses? Are you you going to 'trap' one between wing and tanks, or are you going to have both fully donatable? Also how are you planning on routing your octopus? Over the shoulder or perhaps up down and then under the arm?

As is prolly obvious from the above, trying to visualise this whilst lacking the tanks is doing my head in.

I've already persuaded the missus to measure different hose routes with lengths of string. Hours of fun (for me at least).

Laters,
    Janos

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>If anyone wants to buy a perfect condition 7ft long hose I just happen to have one for sale (got a spare). Offers accepted. Can post.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Janos

I use a 1.5m neclaced and a 2m primary works fine for me.

safe diving,
steve

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

twinvert pics

go here for pics i put on earlier this year
andy

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My primary hose goes in the channel between the BP and the tanks, the secondary will too when I get the 1.5m hose but at the moment it comes up the front of the rig, the BC hose is still a short hose too so comes up the front of the rig and my BC hoses/inflatevalve assembly is bungied under my arm to the front of the harness. Sorry I don't have any pix as I don't have a digicam yet.
HTH
steve

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Cheers for all the answers,

Steve, I'm still confused with one thing, if you plan to route both your hoses between wing and plate, won't that mean you can't fully hand off either of the hoses? Or is a 2m hose long enough to hand off despite going between plate and wing.

Apologies if I'm being thick here, I've been playing round with my 'simulated' twinset, (still simulted as I've decided that it can't hurt to look round the show) but bits of of string don't behave like hoses.

Laters,
   Janos

PS - Yes I know it's a Friday night, but I've got a few cans of Guinness as well as my string.  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts