YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>This topic came up on the boat the other day, and i was surprised after chatting with some other charter boat skippers.

" SHOTLINES ".

It came about when doing the shot, that some skippers, shoot the shot, first pair of divers sort it out,tie off waster then fire anchor to surface.
Once the last pair are in , the skipper than pulls the shotline  

Now i for one will LEAVE the shot in , until ALL my divers are back onboard.

WHY.

Because a diver may wish to ascend the shot.

BUT MAINLY

If there is a problem, and a search needs to be carried out, at least the lifeboat/helicopter and other boats have a datum point.

YES, i have been on jobs to recover bodies, and when we get to the site there is no shotline or datum point, and it means searching the entire wreck.

Anyone throw some more comments

Andy

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Personally, I prefer that the first pair in (usually most experienced or competent) tie in with the waster and send the shot up. I think that the shot should then be left until all divers are on board.

But also that all divers should agree to come up either on a dsmb so that all buddy pairs are drifting or on the shot so that none are rather than half and half.

For me, DSMB is easier than playing superman, also means that you can call the dive at any time without worrying about finding the shot again.

Juz

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

I prefer shot to be left in as I prefer coming back to the shot and ascending it. Grew up diving prior to DSMBs and also allows you to improve navigation etc.

But mainly, (prior to a search as you point out - god forbid) it allows a fixed reference point for others (ie divers) to see where the wreck is from the surface, judge if current is picking up, judge how far folk on SMBs are drifting etc.
I know skippers may be able to judge that with equipment but for us it allows us a ref point to look out to see where abouts we should be looking for bubbles, SMBs etc.

Also allows me to tie a porthole on to the line and get you to lift it  
rather than sending it up on a bag and you swiping it and saying the bag did not arrive on the surface  

Just my tuppence.

Simon

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also allows me to tie a porthole on to the line and get you to lift it
And under the TAURUS DIVING SALVAGE LAWS 2004 ,,, it becomes my porthole, as i recovered it with my equipment  

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Feb. 17 2004,12:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also allows me to tie a porthole on to the line and get you to lift it
And under the TAURUS DIVING SALVAGE LAWS 2004 ,,, it becomes my porthole, as i recovered it with my equipment  
D'oh!

that would be the Constantly Updated TDSL 2004 Laws, I take it....

Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts