YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I was checking out the cylinders on offer from Go Dive at LIDS, they as usual had a good price, with a tenner extra for nitrox (o2 clean).  The gut in front of me got a couple of cylinders.  The sales guy picked up two 3ltr cylinders from the same box, he stuck a "Breathing Air" sticker on the first and then a "Nitrox N2O2" sticker on the second.  How can they charge £10 extra when it was obvious that all the cylinders are clean from the factory.  Makes me sick when shops rip people off so blatently.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

I dont supose you noticed how much they were charging did you? I managed to pick up a £litre O2 clean pony from Stoney Cove for £65

Simon A

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Didnt actually buy anything myself, was looking at the twinsets at the time, but if I remember correctly a 3ltr was either £55 or £59 + £10 nitrox rip off fee.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>but you can buy the stickers for £2 (i think from BSAC), so buy air, and stick a nitrox sticker on and save yourself £8 BTW we won't got into what nasty people Go-Dive are, but lets just say they have a pleasent nickname round the notts uni club

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

I also got one from Stoney Cove as they were 65 but didn't charge extra for the O2 clean and Nitrox sticker.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Mar. 29 2004,12:37)]but you can buy the stickers for £2 (i think from BSAC), so buy air, and stick a nitrox sticker on and save yourself £8
The problem isn't the nitrox contents sticker but the O2 test cylinder. These tend to be printed with the name of the of the shop/centre which cleaned your cylinder that year and so generally aren't available.

The thing which gets me is getting air cylinders cleaned after they have been filled. Even if its never been filled from a "dirty" compressor they still want £25 for cleaning it around my way!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

There is, of course, nothing to stop you printing your own Oxygen-clean labels, SO LONG AS the cylinder IS actually clean..

A bit of dishwasher detergent takes care of THAT, of course..

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>We had an argment with them not so long ago on similar lines, and they trotted out the O2 clean grease argument, whilst telling us to piss off. That's Go-Dive for you. Talka pretty useless game, and are even worse if you have any problems. I've stopped shopping there altogether. Prices are cheaper elsewhere, even on the fabers that no-one thought they would compete with. Stoney's 3l tanks are the same price and are reasonble about cleaning, and if you have problems the guys at will help. They swapped DINa dn A-clamp fittings for nothing for me and Mary, and we didn't even buy anything!

This is a sham, but it's a dive industry sham, and they're all at it. Vote with your feet guys. Please.

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

Even better than that, how about this thought.

Recent story from the local IDEST cylinder service centre we use.

Guy came in after NEC Dive Show with a cylinder for a nitrox fill.

No Nitrox sticker on the cylinder so they refused.  The owner then produces the sticker from his pocket and says "Oh, they gave me this and told me to stick it on myself".

The IDEST centre then looked at the cylinder - the valve was only fitted finger tight and may well have done nasty things under pressue and better than that, the valve components weren't O2 compatible anyway.

When the guys from the IDEST centre rang the supplier of the cylinder to tell them of their concerns, they were told "so what?".  And this is a very large, well known supplier too.

The incident was reported to the HSE.

The bottom line was that the owner of the tank had to get it O2 cleaned and the valve innards changed, so the cylinder ended up costing him much more than he'd bargained for anyway.

Perhaps there's a moral in this somewhere - anyway up, it's worth checking what you've got if you've justed got a "hot bargain" from LIDS .....

HTH

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Have to agree with Digger. I won't shop there anymore, there are friendlier, more professional places that offer the same prices and will even do price match if GD do have it cheaper.

I reckon they developed ego's when they were the cheapest, but now can't really justify the arrogance.

Anyway, thats just my opinion

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Well

I've always used Kent Diving and from my looking around i think they were the cheapest by a fair bit there. They are also convenient for me if i want after sales service.

There was a damn long and slow que around them. I did start to get a bit arsey with their attitude, but then there was total demand for their prices and i got what i wanted for less than i had planned.

Regards

Paul

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Another vote here for Kent (both at the show and in Dartford) Their tanks are cheaper, and hey're nice people too.

However Divers Warehouse are the kings of customer service for me. Despite it being a show weekend, they've managed to replace the zip on my drysuit and get it back to me in less than a week of me posting it to them.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janos @ Mar. 31 2004,16:29)]Another vote here for Kent (both at the show and in Dartford) Their tanks are cheaper, and hey're nice people too.
Yes they are nice people but they put 'orrible valves on their tanks so by the time you pay to have nice MDE ones put on they aren't much cheaper. However, if you get them in a good mood they sometimes change the valves FOC  

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren27 @ Mar. 29 2004,12:27)]How can they charge £10 extra when it was obvious that all the cylinders are clean from the factory.  Makes me sick when shops rip people off so blatently.
They can charge extra because you (and I) are willing to pay
it. Absolutley every shop (not just in diving) in the land does
exactly the same.

It's called marketing.

It only becomes a rip off when you find out!

TerryH

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Janos

Agreed about Divers Warehouse, if i am buying online thats where i go. I'm trying to avoid stopping off there on my way to Scapa this summer.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

For twin 10's, which is what I was looking at I think Kent diving were just beaten on price by SDS who had better looking bands too.  Both SoS manifolds though as I recall.  Are the SoS ones that bad?  Ok, I know that MDE are the ones to get, but they can be £50 more and for what?

Lou

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

its a very strange thread this??? as ive bought stuff from mark at go dive and get an absolute bargain on a greenforce torch BUT his sales and marketing techniques leave a little to be desired!!!! on asking for the price on the phone a reply came back but are you ready to buy at this minute in time
and i thought to myself is this guy taking the p*ss so i said look i want a price for the torch r u gunnna give me one or not ??and then a reply of ,,,have u had any quotes for the torch as i will be able to beat any price uve had from anyone in the country so i knew i had ,got a quote of 210 from sds at sheffield then he says well i will do it for 175  
 although i do agree with digger if a diver isnt happy with  service from some kind of retail dive outlet or a company thats web based ,u just vote with ur feet  
 and never use them again!!! and u also tell ur friends not to use them ive always believed if as a consumer u feel u r getting a good deal and not being fobbed off u will use the establishment again !!!simple as that !!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts