• I am already an RNLI member

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not an RNLI member

Votes: 0 0.0%

RNLI membership

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  ANDY 64 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Stand up and be counted...

#3 ·
Imported post

My thinking on this is straight forward - you pay taxes which (in theory at least) gets you ambulance and doctor/nurse type action, as & hopefully where required. It's invisible, taken at source so it's that kind of warm blanket type feeling of 'I know it's there if I ever need it'.

Well the RNLI are funded purely through charitable donations; we're all divers, and I'm not gonna leave something as essential as having the opportunity of having my sorry arse dragged out of the Oggin to chance!

Bren & Fiona - Govenors of the RNLI (and that's not a boast, more a symbol of the importance on which I place the RNLI).

Cost me about £150 a year, and I hope I never have the need to call upon there services for that )or any) amount - conversely, if my donation means that others may live/benefit, then it's money well spent.

#4 ·
Imported post

Life Guv (9/10 years) here, like Bren, as a reflection of its importance. Ususally put in the money pots whenever I am at any LB station as the return on my original fee is probably not as good for the RNLI as it used to be..

Any sea diver should be a member, because it will be WHEN, not IF you need them.

As various Governments keep trying to cut back on the other rescue services, the RNLI and other lifeboat setups keep taking up the baton.

Support them.

#5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I know that the RNLI have done a sterling job on the thames in the last year and a bit... and good on 'em
but I still think that the government wanted the RNLI to do the job, as it was much cheaper for them (HM theiving b*****ds) than using the Met Police River division....

abucksdiver

#6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>"Offshore" member since last year and always encouraging others to take it up, cheap at half the price and if you're ever pulled out of the water by these guys you'll feel guilty you only gave the bog-standard rate.
Heroes to a man  

Chee-az
Steve

#7 ·
Imported post

Like others on this forum, RNLI Governor out of consideration of value of the service.

Bear in mind that if you are a taxpayer and pay by direct debit you can arrange a deed of covenant (you can cancel at any time).   This allows the RNLI you can to claim back the tax that you have paid to the government.  Now I don't know about you but I know where I'd like my tax to go.

John

#8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>As I don't live in the Uk & don't dive there I'm not a member, however whenever I'm there and see a kity box I always give a donation. Not many countries have such a charity and the british are lucky to have one, it makes the diving and all seafearers feel that bit more safe if something goes wrong.

#9 ·
Imported post

Like others on this forum, RNLI Governor out of consideration of value of the service.

Bear in mind that if you are a taxpayer and pay by direct debit you can arrange a deed of covenant (you can cancel at any time).   This allows the RNLI to claim back the tax that you have paid to the government!  Now I don't know about you but I know where I'd like my tax to go.

John

#10 ·
Imported post

Oh, and another reason why the RNLI is so important - not just for us divers - this from today's Telegraph:

"Currents carry four girls to sea

An eight-year-old girl was in critical condition at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, last night after she and three friends were swept out to sea as they played beside the pier at Cromer, Norfolk.

The girls were caught by strong currents on Saturday afternoon. A six-year-old was rescued by a lifeguard and two others, aged 11 and 12, managed to get back to the beach by clinging to the pier supports. A Cromer inshore lifeboat crew rescued the eight-year-old, who was resuscitated after being brought to shore."

#12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The Deed of Covenant scheme was replaced by Gift Aid.  If you are a UK tax payer you should sign and return the form with your membership, this enables the charity to claim back 28p in the pound it doesn't cost you anything.

#13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Unfortunately this is only one of the first incidents of the season to which my friends will undoubtedly be called.
Again no doubt we will end up walking the beaches with lanterns in hand and dogs running in front looking for another lost child.

The life boat crews along here cirtainly earn their keep. But all of our gallant crews would appreciate a hand from the general public. Please to encourage the use of care by our visitors so that they may enjoy our coast line, and return home happy to have been here and to all come again next year.

Louigi.

#17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>offshore member and donate regularly on top of that.

dont know if anyone was at brixham the other week to witness the fantastic display put on on a sunday aft, very entertaining.

if your not a member, you should rush out and join now!!

you can bank on it your gonna need em someday!!

quite entertaining actually.... the word was out for breakwater beach to be empty by 1400hrs and low and behold two divers had to be virtually pushed from the water by both offshore and inshore craft, much to the amusement of the four hundred or so people gathered on the car park.

theres always two in't there

regards

mark

#18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nitrox @ Aug. 06 2003,18:32)]you can bank on it your gonna need em someday!!
...exactly why I've signed up recently, having realised how important they are, after starting some UK diving this year.

Hadn't fully appreciated the fact they are 100% charity funded - nowt from HM gov!

#19 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Have to hold my hand up, shamefacedley, one of those things I keep meaning to do but keeps passing me by. Now I have the link from a previous post I will do it now, just hope the doorbell or phone or whatever doesnt distract me in the meantime.

A very brave bunch of people who deserve more credit than they get.

#20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Offshore member for the last 3 years, always make a point of seeing these guys at the dive show and bunging them a few extra bob.
The Offshore minimum sub is £48 but you can pay monthly by DD so you'll never notice it, plus they can claim your tax back.
You know it makes sense:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.