YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I recently got a flyer in one of the dive magazines to join the RNLI. I think it's around £50 a year or something and you get a magazine and that kind of thing.

I'm new to UK diving so I've only tackled inland sites so far. But sooner or later I'll be venturing into the sea and taking on the inherent risk of becoming a "customer" of the RNLI.

Two questions then :-

Are any divers on this board members ?

Do you think divers should be supporting the RNLI ?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Yes - Yes.

Fine organisation - never had to use them but I personally know a few crew members.

They get no gov't grant so the only way to keep the show on the road is through contributions.

£50 a year - say you do 100 dives a year - that's 50p a dive!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richard,

I agree profoundly with Gav and others! EVERY diver (unless you intend never diving in the sea?!) should join, at some level, the RNLI. It's a bit like your home contents insurance: you hope you never have to claim due to your house burning down and taking everything you hold dear with it, but you're glad you've got cover - just in case!

I hope none of us are ever 'customers' of this fine and august charity, but am damned glad they exist for some time whenever they may have to drag my sorry arse out of the oggin. The sums involved in membership are massively reasonable (I'm a Joint Governor with my wife - £105 a year) and, as Gav says, they get absolutely NO cash from the Gov't at all - they exist purely on public donations.

Money VERY well spent! Sign up today!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Imported post

I am an X crew member of the Withernsea ILB and had met Brian Bevan on numerous occasions as the Humber lifeboat was only 15 miles away.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Imported post

Whole heartedly agree - every diver should join!

Having been on a dive boat at night when the prop dropped off about 7 miles offshore, I can assure everyone that the sight of the lifeboat is very welcome.  

The membership fee is a very small price to pay for the service.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Yup - I've got a standing order set up so I don't even have to think about it. I just get the magzine and catalogue of naff gifts from time to time

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Even though i know a couple of crews, i wouldn't pay money for them. They're almost as bad as the National trust and the church.  Most of them only do it for the T-shirt.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your post ??

If they are happy to be given a T-Shirt for the service they offer, seems like we've got the better deal  

1 - 10 of 10 Posts