YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Gu.ys

This weekend we were honoured by the precence of the Reciever Of Wrecks in Dover. Riding around on a very nice Coastguard Boat the ROW was watching dive club activity and visiting Dive boats in the Channel.

Fortunatly on Saturday they were so impressed with my trailer reversing down the slip they left us alone. Today they had a chat with our top cover, who fortunatly was one of our more sensible and less glib members.

I fortunatly during this visit was rumagging through the holds of the very impressive Lariston a 290" long 42" beam cargo steamer that sunk in 1899 and stands 12m proud in 31m, and knew nothing about it till later.

Regards

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Yep they were at Dover today and we were given a little chat to.

The ROW's were to very atractive young ladys so we were hoping they would come out with us on our dive but no such luck.

Mind you all we got was an egg layden lobster off of the Brazen and that went streight back once we noticed.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

What can they do? I thought that even if you offloaded a ton of gold bullion in front of the ROW as long as it ended up declared then that's OK.
Methinks it must've just been a nice day!!!!!

Peter

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Funny you should say that , it was sunny and flat calm

Mark Chase

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Peter

It was extremly calm and the water very clear, and we even got the boat out just before the Thunder and Lightening hit Dover.

No they cannot do much, they were mainly asking if we knew the procedures for recovered booty, our top cover was a copper who bit off the instant responce of "Clean it up and hang it in the porch" too something more sencible.

Rather interesting that the Coastguard were not asking if we had filed routes and destinations as the MCA is now requesting.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>ROW doing the rounds I expect.
Won't be long before she hits the Dorset coastline.
I know for a fact that she is a fair weather sailor.
Cheers
Bob.

ps Terry looks like you should be OK for a while.
Till she gets to your side of the country.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bob,
We had her last year at Holyhead "diving-festival"

Actually we have quite a good working relationship with her-
she managed to sort out an "anchor saga" for us in which the plod (?) got involved in double-quick time. ...mind you, the droits for the roofing slates  -which were "no problem..carry on" - seem very long in the settling...hmm -another task on the list!
  Have fun,
                      Terry

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all,

Yep i'm back again at last.

Both the RoW and her sidekick had the pleasure to have a good ride out on the Dover SAC's club boat ( ex 41ft Watson class lifeboat, Original boat at Penlee in 1926 ).

Other a hours ride the MCA OSPREY came along side and a transfer was performed at pacing of 5 kts.

All concerned were very impressed with actions from the Dover Club  

ANdy

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>I suspect the ROW is just checking whether the numbers of item recovered match the numbers of forms received ... [note to self.. must do last years forms..]

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread, but can any of those diving at Dover point me at a purveyor of fine Nitrox in that area that is willing/able to fill late and at weekends? Or might even be able to collect/deliver between dives at Dover Marina? Willing to cover cost of petrol etc. I know I'm not asking much, but here is hoping...

Alternatively a club compressor that doesn't mind topping up on O2 would also be welcome. We can bring air filters, O2 etc

I'm diving down there in August and the Folkstone shop has shut down by the sounds of it, and so have SeaScape and I am running out of places to get fills from at not too outrageous prices. Anybody able to assist???

Cheers

A

·
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Anke

The kit at the Folkstone shop was bought by a guy who has it set up (As a dive shop) in the back of his Autocentre at Units 8 & 9 North Close, Shorncliffe Industrial Estate, Folkstone, Kent, CT20 3UH. I don't know his name but try 01303 243149. I understand his timings are rather flexable.

Our compressor is at Herne Bay, so a bit far away. Simply Scuba are at Whitstable so again a bit far, but managable between dives. Don't know if they are open to late opening options.

8-10m of Vis off Dover at the moment, even got 3m in the Thames Estuary Monday night.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]aquaholic Posted on June 11 2003,11:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suspect the ROW is just checking whether the numbers of item recovered match the numbers of forms received ... [note to self.. must do last years forms..]
Snap must get round to filling mine in for last year.
Otherwise may be getting a visit.
Cheers for the reminder.
Bob

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ June 11 2003,20:03)]8 & 9 North Close, Shorncliffe Industrial Estate, Folkstone, Kent, CT20 3UH. I don't know his name but try 01303 243149. I understand his timings are rather flexable.
<font color='#008080'>Hi Paul,

thanks for the details. I've check it out and the guy at Shorncliffe wants ukp 4.95 for a single tank air fill.. unfortunately he may be our only real option. We are looking into Simply Scuba too. Do you know if Sea-Lift are still operating in Dover Marina?

Hopefully the viz will stay for a bit. Will be in Dover 1-3 Aug and 16 - 24 August.. so plenty of time for viz to change - hohum. Please keep me posted..

Best

Anke

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there,

I will have a word with Dover Sub Aqua club for you, perhaps we could a  deal on use of our compressor,which is in the town.

SEALIFT no longer in the marine matey, not for at least a year.

Andy

ex sealift lad ,,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts