YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Royal Mail - help!

794 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gixerdiver 
#1 ·
Have been waiting ages for a Sea & Sea lens (but that's another story), today it arrived and I was at work. Usually they leave a card and I collect parcels from the sorting office. Today, they decided to leave it in one of the flats downstairs. I don't know who lives there, but I went down to pick it up and they didn't answer. I could hear someone talking so I'm fairly sure they were in.

I've just buzzed them again, lights were on, but nobody is answering. I'll try again tomorrow, but what would happen if they decide to "keep" my parcel? The lens would be of no use to them, but there is eBay I suppose. The delivery card states "Parcel left at no.3" so I do have proof it wasn't left with me, but going on previous experience with Royal Mail I'm starting to worry. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I've waited so long for it, and won't have time to replace it before my holiday. I also can't afford to throw away £250! Anyone know if they'd have to cover it? :(

#2 ·
Try grabbing your postman in the morning and get him to try to get it back for you, they might be more likely to open the door for them perhaps, or contact your post office and speak to the manager and explain the problem.

Personally I hate it when the PO does this, I would far rather collect it from the sorting office.

If its a rented flat perhaps try the landlord?

Anyway good luck, have a fab holiday:)

#3 · (Edited)
Unless you have specifically allowed them to deliver it to an alternative address, I believe it's there responsbility to get it to the named address.

If they leave it in the responsbility of another person and they knick it, RM are still responsible as I would see it.

Was it sent SD? If not then Royal Mail Recorded Delivery is to a maximum of around £30 I belive so may be a pain.

EDIT:
Just checked RM site
"For stamped and metered items a postage refund plus compensation on the basis of actual loss, where evidence of posting and evidence of value can be provided. This compensation is subject to the maximum payable being the lower of the market value of the item and statutory maximum of 100 x 1st Class stamps at the first weight step.

Postage refund (a minimum payment of 6 x 1st Class letter stamps at the first weight step) shall be payable where only basic evidence is provided or the item is of no intrinsic value."

If it wasn't sent SD it sounds like they can compensate you for your lens by giving you 100 1st class stamps... lucky you :(

#8 ·
well if they claim its never been delivered then its down to the post office / ur postman to prove who they delivered it to and u would be able to take it further as it would be theft, i'm sure it will work it self out and u will be playing with your new lens in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.