YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a comment from a guy in our office I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me? Why is it considered rude to point? I have to say I fail to understand it myself. Does anyone here think it is rude to point? Why?

I'm genuinely interested in people's opinions on this :)

Cheers/Nic

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Following a comment from a guy in our office I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me? Why is it considered rude to point? I have to say I fail to understand it myself. Does anyone here think it is rude to point? Why?

I'm genuinely interested in people's opinions on this :)

Cheers/Nic
It doesn't bother me at all, but it did get right up the nose of my lad's football coach when I was doing it during an argument we had whilst 'on-tour' early last month.

Well. it was either the finger pointing or me telling him how much of a useless c**t he was and that I was going to try to get him replaced next season. He disliked it so much he tried to lay one one me, but as he was more pissed than I was, he failed to connect and fell over :D

How's the cold by the way? I was laid up in bed all day Wednesday & Thursday feeling like shit. I'm blaming The Duck.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I suppose it depends what part of your body you point with ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I suppose "not pointing" is to stop the pointee being embarrassed?

Not to mention people in the vicinity of the pointee thinking, incorrectly, that they are the pointee and wondering WTF is going on and thinking maybe they'd better thump the pointer just in case offence has been offered.

Of course, aliens and wizards wouldn't point in case an errant spell slipped out ...........?

Fish don't point 'cause their fins aren't long enough! Hah, bloody fish ........ might think they're the dog's lobbocks when they're swimming round us divers but you wait till they get an itchy snout!!! Hah, who's laughing now you bloody fish!!! Bet you'd swap a fin for an arm now!!! Take that I say you slimy smug gits!!!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Another thread slips down....

I don't mind being pointed at but if the person doing the pointing is aggresive (or laughing hysterically :) ) then that puts a different light on things.

:D

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I remember it being considered rude to point when I was in the Philippines. Instead, you had to do a sort of reverse nod in the general direction of the pointee.

A damn sight easier just to point if you ask me...
dan

·
23,946 Posts
Another thread slips down....
Please note it was not me that .........

I don't mind being pointed at but if the person doing the pointing is aggresive (or laughing hysterically :) ) then that puts a different light on things.
What about 'if they're drooling'?

·
23,946 Posts
At my age I'd have to feel flattered :embarassed:
Flattened is def the position he'd lik ............. oh, sorry, FLATTERED! :)

At your age? What age is that young lady?

Flattered? You must be the only woman that feels that way because I nev ....................... oh dear, it's me isn't it. :frown:

:teeth:

·
23,946 Posts
Keep 'em coming :D
At my age? You're 'avin a larf!

:teeth:

'Kinell, now it's (Shakespeare insulter) saying "Thou gleeking pottle-deep barnacle!" - what's one of those when it's at home? Sounds good though? Anyone able to translate? The insults are, allegedly, all genuine from Shakes[eare's works.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.