YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But no diving. What? It's January ffs.

I'm amusing myself at everyone elses expense as we make our way to Shetland. Ryan bloody air didn't kill me, bug they did spend the whole flight trying to sell me food, perfume, lottery tickets, scratch cards, and all sorts of other tripe.

Now found myself in Aberdeen for the night. One thing I have done today is capture some proof that comedy & photography share something in common. Timing.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
No diving? Lightweight! We have our dive gear with us and plan to go shore diving later in the week. Although the forecast is a bit grim - heavy snow last time I looked :eek:

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so the report is a kittle weak but it's on the fly :)

report update: have just been to see avatar in 3D and I'm now about £23 lighter, and that's without popcorn. A nice sausage and chip supper washed down with some iron bru, she's a lucky gal eh? The jocks get a hard time from me over some of the stuff they like to eat, but they never disappoint when it comes to chips. The further up north you go, the better they get. Maybe shorter life spans are the result of magnificant use if animal fats in cooking chips and not down to buckfast/tennants extra. Us southern softies may live longer, but that just means more years of torture eating chips cooked in random vegetable oils. Rapeseed is all the rage at the moment, I'm waiting for someone to try it with hempseed oil :D

As for staberdeen, any town/city/village with red light facilities and gentlemens entertainment venues so close to the main shopping centre is surely worthy of a pat on the back.

We'll be up a five to fly to the island, so tune in the same time tomorrow folks for more nonsense.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
already gearing up for Up-helly-ah ....

Vodka and coke .... check
Rain gear ..... check
red bull...... check
tickets for the hall .... check
:D ready

give me a call if you want to meet up Russ.
(No. at the bottom)

OOh went up to Lunna today in the rain and mist, spooky or what. could almost feel the spirits of the Norwegian "Shetland Bus" sailors.

Hazel

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
already gearing up for Up-helly-ah ....

Vodka and coke .... check
Rain gear ..... check
red bull...... check
tickets for the hall .... check
:D ready

give me a call if you want to meet up Russ.
(No. at the bottom)

OOh went up to Lunna today in the rain and mist, spooky or what. could almost feel the spirits of the Norwegian "Shetland Bus" sailors.

Hazel
So did you two motor over there in The Val or did you take an alternative transport? Looking forward to Helen's pics

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
So did you two motor over there in The Val or did you take an alternative transport? Looking forward to Helen's pics
Took the ferry, which was a good idea since we spent around half the journey up weightless as there was a huge swell running from the south east.....and we wanted to bring the car to go shore diving :)

Tis widdling it down with rain just now, so suspect the camera (complete with new tripod) might be getting wrapped in cling film or something :D

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like our flight out here in the morning could be fun. Just been out hunting seals, only saw a couple through the blizzard. The hire car is abandoned at the bottom of the hill where we are staying in sound, it hardly makes it up the hill in the dry. Trying in the snow would be expensive.

You sledging on the knab?

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some pictures as promised. Now I need to go and sort out my fish tank which seems to have gone wrong while I was away

galley they spend a year making just to set on fire :)

Big burley (burly?) men on their way to set the galley on fire

Boat's on fire

someone had a bit too much to drink the night before

view from Sumburgh Head

Basically as far north as you can get without leaving the British Isles

Next stop: North Pole

St Ninians Isle. I think this is where you've got North Sea one side and the Atlantic t'other.

·
Like a chubby Batman......apparently
147 Posts
Here are some pictures as promised. Now I need to go and sort out my fish tank which seems to have gone wrong while I was away

St Ninians Isle. I think this is where you've got North Sea one side and the Atlantic t'other.

Hmmm, nearly but not quite...

You're thinking of Mavis Grind where you can allegedly throw a stone from the north sea on the east side of Shetland, over the road and into the Atlantic on the West. Thats about thirty miles north of Lerwick, just past Brae.

Great photos though, I can still smell the parafin from those torches!!

Cheers

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Hehehe where you took the pic of the houses in Scalloway - where we were staying is pretty much just behind you :D

Andra, it was lovely to meet you and Mrs Andra - see you in the summer :)

·
Like a chubby Batman......apparently
147 Posts
Hehehe where you took the pic of the houses in Scalloway - where we were staying is pretty much just behind you :D

Andra, it was lovely to meet you and Mrs Andra - see you in the summer :)
Thanks, it was great to meet you both too. If i get my finger out, I'll be down your way before summer....:)

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts

.. but you do seem to have a thing about photographing dead birds ' !

... in places beginning with 'S'

;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts