YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Red Sea And Beyond
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is unbelievable.

News: Ryanair in fat fee row

Ryanair has announced controversial plans to introduce a “fat tax” for passengers weighing more than 20 stone.
From next April 1 passengers will be weighed when they check in and charged an extra £10 if they exceed the weight limit.
In an exclusive interview with Flightmapping.com, Ryanair boss, Michael O’Leary, denied the airline was discriminating against larger members of society.
He said: “Our plans are actually the fairest way of dealing with the growing problem of accommodating overweight people on our flights. We already charge passengers to have baggage in the hold, so we felt that it was about time that we made people who carry extra baggage around their waist pay a bit more for the convenience.”
He added: “We also have to use extra fuel, adding unnecessarily to carbon dioxide emissions. We are already Europe's youngest and greenest airline, now we want to be Europe's leanest airline - this is something that fat cat Stelios can never do with Easyjet."
Ryanair is not the first airline to penalise obese customers. US carrier Southwest has a policy of making overweight passengers pay for a second seat.
Obesity rights groups have responded with outrage at Ryanair's plans. Former Olympic javelin champion, Fatima Whitbread, spokesperson for campaign group Fat and Fit, said: “Why do these corporate giants always pick on us? This fat fascism has to stop.”

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
beaten to it

·
It will never work!!
126 Posts
fat tax

It is unfair in comparison to the actual weight of the aircraft and fuel on board.... maybe the airline should be paying more tax out of its profits as it doesn't seem to pay any tax on its fuel..

This is sort of related to a problem I had this Winter... I had problems getting into my drysuit and after I weighed up the situation ( excuse the pun ) I found it cheaper to go on a diet than buy a new drysuit ---- let's hope I can keep it off !!:embarassed:

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
This is unbelievable.

News: Ryanair in fat fee row

We are already Europe's youngest and greenest airline, now we want to be Europe's leanest airline - this is something that fat cat Stelios can never do with Easyjet."
Ryanair is not the first airline to penalise obese customers. US carrier Southwest has a policy of making overweight passengers pay for a second seat.
Obesity rights groups have responded with outrage at Ryanair's plans. Former Olympic javelin champion, Fatima Whitbread, spokesperson for campaign group Fat and Fit, said: “Why do these corporate giants always pick on us? This fat fascism has to stop.”
Ahem...:D

·
Red Sea And Beyond
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a twat, I so want to pull the thread, that's my Friday faux pas.

Don't forget when I post as me I am "Blonde Inside".

I can't believe I missed it.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Maybe an april fool but im all for it !

If someone weighs 20 stone and pays the same price for a ticket as me i want the right to carry 10 stone more luggage free!

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Well it could stop us all carrying kit in our oversized coat pockets :redface:

Mind you maybe Lydia is worried she might be affected by the extra charge ? :tongue:

·
Red Sea And Beyond
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it could stop us all carrying kit in our oversized coat pockets :redface:

Mind you maybe Lydia is worried she might be affected by the extra charge ? :tongue:

COLIN !!!!!!!!!

You know you should never discuss a lady's weight, its not polite, and before you say it. :teeth:

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
well I'm only going by what I was told :angel: & that was that you weren't so "weightless" any more ? LOL:wink:

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
April fool or not - what a great idea. Then all will pay for that excess baggage !!!

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
Obviously a good idea. Have you ever tried sitting next to Mr Creosote on a flight.

Oh for a waafer thin mint!

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Maybe an april fool but im all for it !

If someone weighs 20 stone and pays the same price for a ticket as me i want the right to carry 10 stone more luggage free!
Anyone who knows me is aware that I carry a few extra pounds (not 20 stone I may add so it won't cost me any more), but it's fine for an airline to charge this for overweight people if it discounts for underweight people otherwise it's just discrimination.

So £10 off if under 10 stone? what do you think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts