YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poseidon assists in the investigation of a diving accident in Norway.

On Saturday, May 8th, 2010, a diver was found dead at a depth of four meters in Øygarden, northwest of Bergen, Norway. The cause of the accident is still unclear.

According to the Police Department in Bergen the diver was equipped with a Discovery rebreather from Poseidon.
Poseidon is keeping an ongoing dialogue with the Bergen Police Department and has offered to contribute to the investigation into the cause of the accident. If and when the Police so requests, the company will send its experts to Norway to extract and analyse the log files from the equipment's dive computer.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Thoughts to all involved. Not a lot else I can say really :(

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
This is awful.... so Poseidon are saying the unit was bump started. Well having read the review on it, I'm not suprised people are getting upset not being able to dive it due to one error or another...!!
TS not sure what you're driving at?

From the report (for those that haven't read it) - the unit failed two pre-dive checks due to insufficient battery charge, it was bump started and then dived for some time despite all alarms being triggered until the battery finally failed and the unit shut down. No attempt was made to bail out onto OC.

The report signed by company, independent authority and police say "nothing wrong with unit".

Only the good taste rules prevent me from speculating what the user was thinking.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Frankly I see this as Darwinism. If you are stupid enough to dive a unit, having over-ridden its startup sequence then ignored all its alarms.... what else is the unit supposed to do... fire an ejector seat??

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
Non essential systems were shut down to preserve battery power, which was used to maintain
life support functions for as long as possible
Anyone know what kind of systems this would mean? I'm thinking HUD but that's about as far as i got.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Frankly I see this as Darwinism. If you are stupid enough to dive a unit, having over-ridden its startup sequence then ignored all its alarms.... what else is the unit supposed to do... fire an ejector seat??
yes it looks v darwin

from a nother post
( handset was showing over 50% battery power on the handset yet it failed 6 times in a row to start each time referring to test 48 (battery power level). I recharged the battery and even then it wouldn’t start )

now if you know your battery is in working order and has a full charge but the ccr says no dive test48 ,, then mybe the bump start is looking ok to some ,,

black box says diver went in with low battery dont mean shit ,, if the ccr can say no dive test 48
low battery even with a half charge ,, 15 hr worth of diving ,, its a fook up unit ,, end of

cant be trusted to start up ,, cant be trusted to give right information about bat life ,, when in start up or when its found on the back of a diver at 4m ,,

more to this than just stupid ,, sorry thats just my 2p

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
there were other romours about that dive that did not add up..

but it does not mater a diver died its not good... looks like the unit was not part of the problem

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
there were other romours about that dive that did not add up..

but it does not mater a diver died its not good... looks like the unit was not part of the problem
yes some have said the diver was unfit to dive the ccr some have said he my have been pissed even ,, some say he was untrained ,, yet he was trained to know how to bump start it , but not trained to know how to dive it ,,

some say he was a very experienced diver some say he was Training to be an instructor ,,

v odd .

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
yes it looks v darwin

from a nother post
( handset was showing over 50% battery power on the handset yet it failed 6 times in a row to start each time referring to test 48 (battery power level). I recharged the battery and even then it wouldn’t start )

now if you know your battery is in working order and has a full charge but the ccr says no dive test48 ,, then mybe the bump start is looking ok to some ,,

black box says diver went in with low battery dont mean shit ,, if the ccr can say no dive test 48
low battery even with a half charge ,, 15 hr worth of diving ,, its a fook up unit ,, end of

cant be trusted to start up ,, cant be trusted to give right information about bat life ,, when in start up or when its found on the back of a diver at 4m ,,

more to this than just stupid ,, sorry thats just my 2p
If it won't pass the battery test even if the battery is full, then the unit shouldn't have been dived - the problem should have been resolved by a technician or whoever, not ignored.

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
What a nice thread, we have a dead diver described as 'stupid' and 'a moron' by divers at very differnt ends of the experience scale.
I think all of us have done silly things, look at the muppet thread, the only reason that we are not 'stupid morons' is that we are here to defend ourselves.

In a thread a few weeks ago, I was one of those pro discussion/speculation and envisaged a positive thread when coroner's reports are published.
Comments on this thread show YD in it's worst light and I now think the mods have made the right decision!

Guys, I think we can all draw the correct conclusions from the report, we don't need to spray paint it on his headstone.

Just my 0.02

1 - 20 of 54 Posts