YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Last week whilest diving in anglesey, I snapped my reel, as i was a bit rough with it (and to be fair it was cheap).

Im going to the farnes this weekend, and whilst i can borrow a reel, I was thinking about getting a safety spool, as someone mentioned the idea to me on here.

My questions are how do you deploy using a spool, do you literally just stick your finger through the hole in the middle and inflate the blob?
how hard would i find it?

I like the idea of a spool as i could use the line from my broken reel so would serve as a nice replacement, im just concern as to whether i could use it ok (only ever used and seen reels deploy dsmbs)

Thanks

Shaun

·
WHOO HOO...look free mask and smorkel thingy.....
1,647 Posts
hold spool in hand facing up use thumb and second finger on either side of the core use forefinger as brake/guide. only inflate blob a little and let boyles law do the rest.
riggghhht let us know how you get on.

good luck...oh yeah wear a glove. :D

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
There are a few posts about this subject on here, and one of them includes a short video clip by And deploying a bag (think this is it but can't view video clips at work)

They are not difficult to use but take a couple of goes to get right. I wouldn't use one on a live dive if I hadn't deployed one before. And when you do it, don't stick your finger through the middle, it might jam and you would go up.

Regards

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
My questions are how do you deploy using a spool, do you literally just stick your finger through the hole in the middle and inflate the blob?
how hard would i find it?
DO NOT....stick your finger through the middle of it!!! If it snags then you'll be going up with it!

With the spool it should be ever so slightly negatively bouyant and so when you release it you don't need to hold the spool just let it unwind then as it starts to drop you can catch it. Or...if you don't feel confident about that then cup your hand over the top....like a yoyo...with the line travelling through your middle fingers. OR.....pinch the hole gently between finger and thumb.

Reeling in can be tricky until you are used to it. You need a double ender clip. Clip over the line. Tension the line and then using the double ender as the centre point (fulcrum) wind the spool around the fulcrum to wind in the line.

I would recommend you get plenty of practice before you use it in anger. Once you have the knack then make sure you alternate between reel and spool to keep the skill polished.

For the Farnes trip....I'd borrow a reel. You need to practice the spool before taking it on a proper dive.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the advice, I will definatly borrow a reel for now, but i will definately consider trying a spool.

That video has helped a little bit, although i couldnt really see his hands. I think i get how you reel it in,

What size double ender would you use? does a bigger one make it any easy to reel in?

I think just the deployment scares me.

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.

Don't let go of it - while it might be neutral in the water - there really is no need.

Don't ram your fingers into the core - hold the core loosely between thumb and index or middle finger - or - hold in your inverted palm and allow the line to go through your fingers up to the surface.

Also - Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.

And lastly - Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.

as for the double ender - the one that comes with it..

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.

Also Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.

And lastly - Get someone (who knows what they are doing) to demonstrate it to you.
Is there an echo in there :D

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Thanks Fi, I knew Clare had done one, but couldn't find the link from her DIR Diver - Home website

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys,

I might buy one and give it a go in the safety of a puddle.

at least in there at worst ill just let go of the bugger.

Thanks

Shaun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts