YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a number of you know I tend to cope with the daily stress of work(doctor) by spending as much time as my good wife will allow, underwater off the NE coast (mainly the Farnes). One of my best friends is a skipper at Seahouses and we are acutely aware of diver safety.

Every year we see a number of divers carried off by heli to various deco chambers etc
We have in the past organised various training events for such "dramas" > http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/features/Reallife-drama-hits-exercise.5444723.jp
This tends to peak as the diver numbers increase during the warmer months.

Although diving is a comparatively safe sport, every year we are saddened to learn of visiting divers getting injured or experiencing accidents as these are often avoided with some simple precautions.

Those who know all this can log off now but to those who are seasonal divers please keep in mind the following points:

• DO NOT DIVE IF YOU FEEL UNWELL

• IF IT IS YOUR FIRST DIVE FOR A WHILE (e.g. after a Winter break) WE WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU KEEP YOU FIRST FEW DIVES QUITE SHALLOW (e.g. less than 20m)

• DIVING IN THE NORTH SEA CAN BE COLD AND TIRING. PLEASE DIVE WELL WITHIN YOUR LIMITS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS

• BEWARE IF YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT AND UNFIT – KEEP YOUR DIVES SIMPLE AND DO SOME EXERCISE BETWEEN DIVE TRIPS TO GET FITTER

• DO NOT DIVE WITH TOO MUCH LEAD (i.e. over-weighted/heavy)

• IF UNHAPPY DURING A DIVE IT IS BETTER TO SIMPLY SURFACE AND TRY THE NEXT DIVE RATHER THAN CONTINUE AND GET MORE STRESSED

• IF YOU HAVE HAD A PROBLEM DURING A DIVE – PLEASE TELL YOUR DIVE MARSHALL AND THE BOAT SKIPPER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER SURFACING

• EAT AND DRINK ENOUGH TO STAY WELL HYDRATED AND WARM

• HAVE ENOUGH CLOTHES WITH YOU TO KEEP WARM BETWEEN DIVES

• ALCOHOL AND DIVING DO NOT MIX WELL – MODERATION PLEASE!

• DO NOT FEEL FORCED INTO DOING A DIVE YOU ARE UNHAPPY ABOUT – SOME OF THE VERY BEST DIVING EXPERIENCES AT THE FARNES CAN BE HAD IN LESS THAN 10M OF WATER!

In the unlikely event of a diving emergency think:

Notify the Coastguard as soon as possible on VHF Channel 16

All the very best & Safe diving for 2010.
Ben "Seal diver"
YouTube - bburville's Channel

1 - 1 of 1 Posts