YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just back from two weeks in Thailand. We are lucky to have dodged the ash and transited via KL so also luckily missed out on the trouble in Bangkok. Flights by Malaysia air £528 and super service. Lovely staff.

4 old gits fly out to meet the private yacht (58 foot cutter rigged sloop) and skipper (old school chum) at Yacht Haven Marina near Phuket airport. We are guests/crew and managing our own DIY live-aboard for a 500 mile cruise. Its a super-nice yacht 23tons rigged with Main, Genoa, Staysail and Cruising chute with a 170hp yanmar auxiliary engine. 4 metre Rib, Bauer compressor, 3 sleeping cabins, plus saloon, galley, engine room, and 2 bathrooms. Own fresh water plant, icemaker, and full air con.

My jobs are diver cox, compressor duty (pumping and filters), launch and recover the RIB (25hp o/b), raising and lowering sails, dropping/raising anchor, taking watches on the helm and a couple of nights cooking in the galley. Oh and I forgot - scrubbing the growth off from under the hull.

Itinery is Koh Mai Thon and Koh Hi (Koh is Thai for island) south of Phuket. Then sail out to the Similans for a few days, Then on to the Surin islands via Koh Bon then Koh Tachai. Return home visiting Richelieu, island hopping via Koh Tachai and Koh Bon. Night sail back to Cholong , then East of Phuket to Koh Mai Dok and the King Cruiser wreck. We anchor or moor overnight in any likely spots and go onshore to eat when the opportunity arises. Last day is sight seeing round the hongs in Phra Nga Bay (James Bond Island) while we fiss off before flying home.

Lots of fun and vast amount of beer drunk. I've logged 30 dives. The Similans park was shut to visitors so we had it to ourselves virtually after a cash arrangement with the rangers. I expected the top dives to be the Similans and Richelieu but in fact Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and the Surins were the best.

Highlights were diving with 12 dolphins, having a Manta swim onto my DSMB line, being bumped by a leopard shark, being inside a chimney of circling barracuda, and Simon having his toes bit by a turtle.

Fabulous trip. This isn't something you can buy commercialy. This is my forth jollyboys. Previous trips were cruise down the Phillipines (Apo, Coron, Malapascua) North and West Borneo (Langkayang and Jap wrecks at Otusun Bay), and KK to Singapore ( Layang Layang, Tiomans and south china reefs).

Other costs £125 contribution to the fuel and mess bills. So a no money jaunt with good mates!!

Next trip planned is the Andaman Islands!!!

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Wuold you like a bit more salt to rub in to the wounds:D
Glad you had a fantastic trip with good diving,food,fun and hard work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts