YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few on here are sailors ... but does anyone own a MIRROR ?

I'm thinking about getting one mainly for my 2 boys to sail about in Dover harbour, but to also use it for some off the beach fun aswell .

Thoughts and ideas, most welcome

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
I know a few on here are sailors ... but does anyone own a MIRROR ?

I'm thinking about getting one mainly for my 2 boys to sail about in Dover harbour, but to also use it for some off the beach fun aswell .

Thoughts and ideas, most welcome
I never liked them as they are pretty sore on the rear. A cadet, GP14 or enterprise are all good, of course it depends on your boys, but i was sailing all of the above at twelve.

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
They must of been going for years now, i remember my dad teaching us to sail in those in a gravel pit near staines, that was mid 70's

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I learnt to sail in one and got use of one to use with my kids. I agree that they're not the most modern thing on the water now but still think they'e a good choice as they're so versatile and dead easy to handle.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I never liked them as they are pretty sore on the rear. A cadet, GP14 or enterprise are all good, of course it depends on your boys, but i was sailing all of the above at twelve.
Ent could be a bit of a handful, I always found it sore on my head. The Enterprise is notoriously "oversailed", a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing I always thought, don't know about these days but the PYR when I was sailing didn't tell the full story IMHO.

If they haven't sailed before, a Mirror is ideal, very forgiving and easily controlled by lightweight bodies. Once they get a bit bigger than 14-15, especially if they are big lads, they might want to go a bit more racey. No problem though as Mirrors hold their value.

Gaff rig is a PITA though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Other boat to have a look at is a Topper. Dead simple to rig and sails well single handed.

As it is not made from wood the upkeep is much less as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I learned in a mirror on the Camel estuary at Padstow. Good fun boat with a planing hull. Quite small though so 3 of you would have trouble fitting in, especially as the kids grow.

GP14 was my next boat, I see someone suggested this above, might be a bit big for your first boat though. Mirror's can be sailed single handedly quite easily, GP 14 really needs 2.

Enterprise fits in between the 2. I used to like these.

Having said all that, these are boats I used to sail 20 years ago. Personally I'd look for a more modern GRP replacement of these, I'm afraid I've been out of sailing too long to know what these would be. The Topper mentioned above was just becomming popular when I stopped.

I had a look on ebay recently and Mirror's are selling for silly money, I just bought a 4 birth sea going yacht for less than Mirror's are going for...and it's GRP and won't need half the attention the Mirror will. Sure the mirror was good fun, but it's not THAT good. I think maybe nostalgia is keeping the prices up rather than the actual quality of the boat.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Mirrors were great in their day (and mine) :teeth: but I can't believe things haven't moved on a little. I'd have thought you'd be better off popping in to a local sailing club and chatting to some of the current memebers.

I too sailed enterprises, GP14s, and Cadets but I also sailed 420s which were great and should do what you want. I sailed OK's and Fins. I would steer away from the last 2 as well as toppers for the simple fact that they are really solo sailing boats and you said you wanted to sail with your boys, not sit on the shore watching them as they tack across the bay.

Pete

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
I learned in a Mirror and Topper and sailed a Cadet. I started sailing about 8. I think the Mirror is a cracking little boat.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I'll get this in before Mildog (cnut face) does all sailors should carry a mirror so they can see how their new suit looks after they've surrendered :embarassed:

Back on topic i've only had a quick go in a MIRROR and i was quite impressed but surely things have moved on by now.

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
I learnt in a Mirror and it was fun, it was also good for fishing in Ichenore (sp?) harbour with a little seagull on the back. We aslo had an enterprise and I learnt to race in Bosuns.

IIRC, there was a 14 ft Mirror (Miracle, Mirrocle or something like that).

Also wasn't the Mirror available as a kit? If so you may want to make sure that yours was built well, although, given their age, if it's still floating now, it probably was. :)

r
P

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Crikey this brings back memories!

One of the best days of my life was hanging off a jerry rigged Enterprise trapeze, with my then girlfriends brother sliding up and down the gunwhale hanging on for dear life to the tiller extension in an un-forecast storm for about two hours. Toe-straps stretched to breaking point.

Sheer adrenaline at an age where drowning or serious injuries are for older people. We made it back exhausted and high as kites.

COMING ABOUT!!!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy,

I have one sitting in Hastings. Call me.

Andrew
Shame I didn't see this earlier.

BOYS are sorted now ...

Mirror with road and launching trailers with 2 full suits of sails but 8 sails in total..... just a small minor patch that needs glassing and they need to repaint the road trailer .

COST £ 0.00 :D given to them by a member of my watch who has now became a 30 ft WAFI

Cheers everyone for your imputs ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts