YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 10 of us booked up to do some different sites with Gary and Deepbull off Topgun last weekend and a great time was had by all I think, the sites lived up to Frosty's billing as wonderful sites although they were let down by the absolute carp vis that we had to contend with.
Day 1 the plan was to dive East Rutts and the Wreck of The Herzegon Cecille. So 9 of us set off after Frosty decided a day in bed with QS was more to his taste.
East Rutts was stunningly beautiful and in good vis I would love to dive it again, smothered in life a wall dive with the top of the reef at 8 or 10 metres. I got a few shots but the vis forced me to shoot macro, Uwila went in with his wide angle setup and I'm not optimistic.
The Wreck in the afternoon was slightly less succesful only two people found the wreck but reports are that it was very pretty, lying on bright sand and covered in life, wish I'd found it as the vis was far better on this dive.
Dinner in the evening in the Borri and we were joined by Kirstie and Turbs for a drink, lovely to see them too.
Next day and 10 off us set off this time, QS had decided that she needed a rest and sent Frosty off to play. 1st dive was Burgh Island and the vis was worse than the previous day, another reef full of gullies, nudi's some of the biggest spider crabs I have ever seen and plenty of light, just atrocious plankton everywhere.
The afternoon was again closer inshore, the wreck of the rammilies was somewhere under the kelp but whilst there was more lovely life there was even worse plankton.

Gary and Ade looked after us brilliantly. Topgun is a great boat to dive off and Ade saved two people from making fools of themselves and managed to do it discretely and without extracting any urine. This from a man who advertises his hobby on the back of his fleece :D (you have to see what he's advertising for yourselves)

Great weekend and my thanks to Goggles, Wow Diver, Uwila, Russthedude, Madam Wheelie Bin, Will D, Diving Fred, Frosty, Prometheus and of course Gary and Ade.

It was also great to see some old faces in and around the Mountbatten, Cheers, Ellie, Duck, Steve and co, great to see you all.
Sample of the vis, no backscatter but this was taken less than a foot from Uwila.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
I can only echo those words Pete. Shame about the vis but it was great craic. Gary's legendery catering, superb skippering, Ade's ever helpful attention and generous application of KY jelly. All of these added up to a very pleasant day out.

Oh, and I followed Uwilla's wise advice when I got home.... :love:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Oh, and I followed Uwilla's wise advice when I got home.... :love:
I hope QS was apropriately grateful? ;)

A great weekend on a well run boat - you'll never find better service than that which we had from Gary and Ade. Thanks chaps!

As someone who has jumped in with my suit open, I was saddened to see Ade rescue 2 people from joining the club...:D It was sooooo close with one certain firemanly type person!

Cheers, Chris

G

·
sounds like you need to dive with Dougie at Aquanauts on Outcast, they seem to be diving with 15m viz whilst all the other Plymouth skippers only seem to be able to find 3-5m :rolleyes:

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Nowt to do with the skipper, the sites were selected by us.
As for the plankton bloom it is noutoriousley sperradick in the south west.
The water may be clear one moment then you cant see your arm it is that thick at times. :D

·
Unusually Large Member
1,122 Posts
sounds like you need to dive with Dougie at Aquanauts on Outcast, they seem to be diving with 15m viz whilst all the other Plymouth skippers only seem to be able to find 3-5m :rolleyes:
Definitely decent vis on the Elk on Sunday.
The Totnes Castle however was a different story.

As for the plankton bloom it is noutoriousley sperradick in the south west.
The water may be clear one moment then you cant see your arm it is that thick at times. :D
Sporadic indeed....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wrighty found 5m+ on the Maine on Saturday and 12m+ on the Elk on Sunday!
We did try the Totnes Castle, but one of our trip did the decent thing by jumping in and descending down to 30m ish (he only knew this on the surface once he could see his gauges!) and saying to me, who was just about to leap in, not to bother. Thanks to Steve for looking elsewhere and finding some cracking vis on the Elk.
Very patchy vis in and around Plymouth at the moment.

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
The viz is very strange at the moment. Turbs and I dived the drop-off on Fri night and the viz was very good down at 32m. We did three dives on Sun with a student - Mewstone Ledges, Glen Strathallen and Cannonball Alley and the viz was good at all three. The water is full of those funny light brown bits but they're fairly big so you can still see a decent distance. The viz on the Glen was the best of the three, but it's usually pretty good there because of the sea-bed.

Saw a Moon Jellyfish on every dive - more than I've ever seen before, I think. And I'm pretty sure it was a different one each time :D

Diving the Coronation tonight, be interesting to see what it's like over there.

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
TBH, when we did the dropoff I was expecting good horizontal viz as we'd be below the plankton, but quite dark as it was about 18:30 and the plankton at shallower levels blocking the light, however we had good vis and good light pen. too.
It is improving as I've dived the Waterfront a few times recently for training and the trend is towards clearer water - except when the students bounce across the bottom :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts