YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick trip report as others on the boat will add to it :)

Salsette Monday 16th April
depth 44m run time 62
dive boat Top Gun :frown:
Viz 2-3 meters and dark

Left the harbour at 09:30 due to the late arrival of the Gas monkey in the Aqua Hotel, well off to the site, shot perfectly on Mid ships, i travelled around the decks looking for a crab for the skipper, which i got and then carried on doing a few swim throughs still a good wreck to visit

Warrior II Tuesday 17th April
depth 56m run time 68
Dive boat Scimitar :D
Viz 3 - 4 meters very dark

we left the harbour at 08:00 in the morning i was still half asleep so headed off to the bunks for a sleep arrived on the site and smudge shotted the wreck with a grapple and it caught in well, so well it disappeared below the waves, :) Smudge declared that when it comes back up in the next 30 minutes (or he will eat his hat) we can go diving.

after 45 minutes of school boy taunts from me "you've lost the shot" and "Helena's going to kill you" the shot appeared (look on Smudges face Classic) and we went in very dark but some good spidge i found a few things but didn't have the crow bar marked the areas and will return crowbar in hand, at 35 minutes i drifted off for the deco stage :frown: very cold at the end. chuffed to find i was the last on the boat and pasties waiting :)

good to see

Mark (I'll get you my pritty's) Powell
MJH
Rob
GLOC (I'm sure the wreck was here)
John and Spider-man (you know who you are)

Graham

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
My thoughts on the two days (in no particular order):

Crabs look really pissed off around Milldog

The Salsette may be a big wreck but not so big that can't miss it :embarassed:

Getting underneath the Salsette is a bad idea :embarassed:

Rooibos tea is horrible when it's coming out through your nose and over the side of the boat :embarassed:

Smudge is a kick ass skipper with a top boat and crew - the difference between the two operations was stark. Especially for mix diving I think the presence of an extra crew hand makes all the difference - if something went horribly wrong how could a lone skipper recover a casualty into the boat?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My 2p worth...

I was less than impressed when we were swapped from Goose to Top Gun, it was just to cramped with 9 of us. :frown:

GLOC making it all the way out to the Salsette and back without chundering.

Milldog NOT pulling the shot off the Salsette this time... :embarassed:

The Salsette was very dark with crap viz so we ran a line from the starboard rail down across the remains of the deck to the seabed. We then followed the deck towards the bow. Found a nice looking bit of brass but failed to detach it from the wreck despite giving it some "encouragement".

I agree with the other comments regarding Smudge & Scimitar. Great boat a great day out even though I didn't see the wreck. I wasn't 100% happy when we did a bubble check at 6m on the way down so I called the dive.

Overall a cracking couple of days with a nice bunch of people. Finally congrats to Spiderman & Marianne on passing your Trimix course.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasn't me either

trust me gov'nor :)

Graham

1 - 7 of 7 Posts