YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Midget sub. probably shite but you'll be kicking yourselves if you miss it and then find out it was excellent.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I'd spotted that but was going to start another thread about it.
I had to tape it as i was talking to my wifes 'Uncle Billy' about his depth record in 1956 of 200 ft.  Really interesting bloke to talk to.  Lots of years as Navy clearance diver and then as a SAT diver when he came out and then moved onto submersible developement, name dropper extraordinare.... he'd give Bren a run for his money.  

Family funerals bring them out everytime.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

The Flying Enterprise programme was excellent, plenty of history and facts, not too much nonsense about kit.  Subtitles caused you watch the whole programme rather than just having it on in the background.  Visibility was outstanding, looking forward to diving it once i've paid enough money.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Saw the salvage squad thing... apart from the standard channel 4 presentation (1/4 of the program tells you what they told you before the break, 1/4 tells you what they will tell you after the break, and a little bit in the middle about the show in question...) I found it interesting!

The subs went from a "hey, wouldn't it be good if we..." into production in 8 weeks. Of the first 37 subs sent out on missions, only 2 returned... Most of the pilots died from the cold in the unheated subs...

However, once "the squad" (or rather Fleet Services Ltd) had renovated the sub, it worked really well in the dock...

Overall, worth watching

abucks

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

I've been reading a book called 'Underwater warriors' and watching this made the book more interesting as you can get an idea of scale.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

How do you find out in advance when things are on National Geographic? when ever I get control of the remote I check it out and catch the last 5 minutes of something fascinating!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Julia

I have no idea as i get the last 5 min normally as well

As for the Flying Enterprise - very good, could have done with a bit more diving and a bit less history.

How about them old hardhat divers getting into a wreck that deep - True Grit or what, bloody mad as well.

Pity they had to use a Geordie Presenter so we needed subtitles.  

Dive safe

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts