YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wanted to be a saturation diver when i was younger but as my family had a building firm and i was pushed and shoved into an apprenticeship bricklayer, was told was daft and didnt know what was talkin about diviing!!!dnt get me wrong being a bricky not all bad i've travelld made a mark in life,took up diving while on holiday in turkey opend my eyes as i wasnt taught very well money was there teaching crowding as many tourists on to a gulut{small boat} not very safe,got home im now fully trained to advanced/openwater at moment am doing rescue diver but theres something missing still want to be sat diver only drawback i've just turned 40 am i to old?????? slainte

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
In short, yes. I talked to a few companies recruiting commies, and they wanted a few years experience. They also wanted me to be mid-20s. I'm mid-20s now, so no chance of that. At 40 you're too old to realistically get into it. Companies could maybe use you for a year or two, but the risk for older guys is higher, simple as that, and also what sort of career could you have - 5 years maybe, if that? Plus it's a bloody hard job. Everyone I know who was a sat diver has now retured to become a PADI instructor in the sunshine, and their bodies are slowing down just nicely. If you want to make a living (which is what it will be, barely) then get into instructing in a few years - and it will take you a few years to become a decent instructor.

I would also suggest you went and spent some time talking to commies who have been there and done it, and you will hear the reality of the job. Underwater plumbing. For hours. In the freezing cold. On your own. With slim to no chance if it goes wrong properly. It's one of those jobs which sounds funa nd exciting until you actually get into the day to day of it. Keep diving as a hobby and you'll be enjoying it forever. Become a commie and spoil it.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Oh, and did I mention that many of the job s a sat diver might do are now being replaced by robots? SO you are in an increasingly competitive market.

Plus the guys in the north sea didn't go on strike for nothing. The pay isn't what it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seen a video at school or should i say betemax in careers day, one of my teachers brothers was a sat diver and he turned me to the darkside!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In short, yes. I talked to a few companies recruiting commies, and they wanted a few years experience. They also wanted me to be mid-20s. I'm mid-20s now, so no chance of that. At 40 you're too old to realistically get into it. Companies could maybe use you for a year or two, but the risk for older guys is higher, simple as that, and also what sort of career could you have - 5 years maybe, if that? Plus it's a bloody hard job. Everyone I know who was a sat diver has now retured to become a PADI instructor in the sunshine, and their bodies are slowing down just nicely. If you want to make a living (which is what it will be, barely) then get into instructing in a few years - and it will take you a few years to become a decent instructor.

I would also suggest you went and spent some time talking to commies who have been there and done it, and you will hear the reality of the job. Underwater plumbing. For hours. In the freezing cold. On your own. With slim to no chance if it goes wrong properly. It's one of those jobs which sounds funa nd exciting until you actually get into the day to day of it. Keep diving as a hobby and you'll be enjoying it forever. Become a commie and spoil it.

Digs.
cheers digger already knew that,youve just burst my bubble hahahahah slainte

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Can I ask how long ago that was? Preuming if you're 40 now then you're talking about the glory days of sat diving (as I understand it) when guys were earning £1K a day and death and serious injury was common. Those are the guys who are now PADI instructors, and many at 40ish as well. You couldn't get them to go back for £1K a day now, and they wouldn't earn anything near that, even with all their experience. It used to be one of those jobs where guys who didn't have a lot of O levels could earn a lot of money and drive fast cars, so was glamorised a bit. Now people can see what it's really like, and it ain't all that glamorous.

Digs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well i'm starting work in July as a commie and I only have my part 4 and in my opinion it is good money. :teeth:

I think the average age of a Sat Diver in the North Sea is late 40's, might need correcting on that.
Before you become a SAT diver it is common for you to do a couple years of inland civils work. Then if you have the hours and experience you can go do your sat course.

your training would go:
HSE Scuba £2522
HSE Surface Supply £3874
HSE Surface Supply Top-Up £1720
HSE SAT £10,280

(Prices based on Fort Willy)

I think it's hardx to become a SAT diver in a couple of years and even if you could do it it would cost you £18.5 grand + accomodation + food etc, and don't forget you wouldn't be working during this time.

Your first SAT dives would probably be in shithole places as well, where the living conditions are crap and safet conditions arn't much better.

The North Sea is jam packed with divers at the minute and that is where the big bucks are.

N. Sea sat divers are on £1000ish a day, and generally you are looking at 30 day sats for say 6 month of the year. So thats £180,000 before tax.

I do know a couple of SAT divers, one of which is very young and making a fair game of it, and plenty of money too. But SAT divers careers are fairly short lived and dangerous.

Im sure some people will correct me, but im only going on what i've thought about myself and things i've been told,

HTH,

Dan

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
You can still earn £1K a day sat diving in the North Sea? I hadn't heard that.

Who are you off to work for Dan? And what are they getting you doing?

Digs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Can I ask how long ago that was? Preuming if you're 40 now then you're talking about the glory days of sat diving (as I understand it) when guys were earning £1K a day and death and serious injury was common. Those are the guys who are now PADI instructors, and many at 40ish as well. You couldn't get them to go back for £1K a day now, and they wouldn't earn anything near that, even with all their experience. It used to be one of those jobs where guys who didn't have a lot of O levels could earn a lot of money and drive fast cars, so was glamorised a bit. Now people can see what it's really like, and it ain't all that glamorous.

Digs.
1983 digs wouldnt say they where glory days wasnt alot of work going about thatchers days shuttin most of britain down guess thats why alot of boys seen the green of the money either sat or whatever???

·
Registered
989 Posts
You can still earn £1K a day sat diving in the North Sea? I hadn't heard that.

Who are you off to work for Dan? And what are they getting you doing?

Digs.
the last SAT diver i was speaking to was making 1K a day, thats what they got from the payrise.

I'm guna be working for a company called BridgeZone Ltd, based in Tiverton.

Working on the underwater inspection team, they have a lot of contracts for the railways and do all the railway bridges. They are also putting me through rope access and confined space training, and possibly my HSE Surface Supply if im lucky. The reason its good money is because i'll be going to them with a Civil Engineering degree as well.

HTH
Dan

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Good stuff. Good luck with the new job. Though once you're paying tax your opinion of a decent wage might change a bit :D

Digs.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Oh, and did I mention that many of the job s a sat diver might do are now being replaced by robots? SO you are in an increasingly competitive market.

Robots... obllox... sorry Digger but they tried the ROV thing 15 years back and we all feared for our livelyhood. But hey, it turns out the Rarely Operational Vehicles can't replace a man in the water on construction jobs so right now sat divers are having the best time since the '70's in both work and dosh.

This from an offshore superindendent - working fulltime.:)

You were probably/possibly right about the age thing, though that is a grey area now with the amount of work around and as someone pointed out sat divers average out at betwwen 40 and 50+ these days - don't ya 'Buster'?

Regards,

Berko

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Just seems to me that if they were going to replace anyone with robots then sat divers would be some of the first to go, what with them being more expensive than the shallow and easy stuff. I can't imagine in 20 years time we will be sending people underwater to test and fix things, that's all. It seems to be something that every time I talk to commies about they tell me there's something else companies are looking at getting ROVs to do.

Do sat divers average as old as that? Surely with £1K a day on offer there's thousands of 20-somethings out there from all over the world looking for a living? I don't think I'd want to have a 50 year-old on the end of the line working hard at depth if it were me, their bodies surely aren't going to handle it all that well?

Digs.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
The problem is Diggs... there's a fcuking big hole behind the 'old hands'. Before hurricane Katrina - the lovely little girl (I'm aware of the deaths in Louisiana folks so don't have a go) - there was little work around and plenty of divers, old-ish and very experienced - more than enough of em. Post Katrina with 100+ oil platforms destroyed in the Gulf of Mexico (yes hundreds) there aren't anywhere near enough experienced or semi-experienced personnel around. So, diving companies world-wide are in a wage war to get the divers to complete their contracts - eee, lovely!:)

The above story is why that fcukwit A. Berk 1st posted around a year ago - to let guys who really had the 'passion' to do it, to let them know that now was the time... there may never be a purple patch like this again. Not for me thats for sure:frown: another 2 years and I'm out!
DON'T COPY THAT LAST STATEMENT! :redface:

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
So there's a short-term high-demand for sat divers? Which will presumably subside again in a couple of years once Katrina's damage has been repaired.

So while it might make a few fast bucks, you're then left with a bunch of expensive qualifications, and no career.

Stunning!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yep as I understand it there is a massive labour shortage of young(ish) sat divers especially in the N. Sea.
Once the old hands retire this shortage will become noticeable and I can see wages going up even further,

Supply and Demand and all that jazz

Once again only going on what i've bin told and a bit of my own grey matter :redface:

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
So there's a short-term high-demand for sat divers? Which will presumably subside again in a couple of years once Katrina's damage has been repaired.

So while it might make a few fast bucks, you're then left with a bunch of expensive qualifications, and no career.

Stunning!
Thats just about what my old dad said to me when I left the Navy in '75 and I hadn't a real argument at the time I just 'needed' to do what I always wanted. And what-do-you-know... I'm at the tail-end of a carrer that should've ended years ago!

Still here - still doing it:teeth:

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Before you become a SAT diver it is common for you to do a couple years of inland civils work. Then if you have the hours and experience you can go do your sat course.

Sorry Dan, but another post about sat diving that is way off target. You need 'offshore' experience to get sat work mate - that's offshore air-diving - civils doesn't help you learn about the oilfield.

And as regards conditions well, although there are some odd places in this world when you are offshore, in India say - you'd not know the difference between it and offshore Brazil - lots of sea and big boats steaming around. So offshore Thailand is like offshore Cameroon/Tunisia/Trinadad.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sorry Dan, but another post about sat diving that is way off target. You need 'offshore' experience to get sat work mate - that's offshore air-diving - civils doesn't help you learn about the oilfield.

And as regards conditions well, although there are some odd places in this world when you are offshore, in India say - you'd not know the difference between it and offshore Brazil - lots of sea and big boats steaming around. So offshore Thailand is like offshore Cameroon/Tunisia/Trinadad.
Yep my bad, you need your Part 1 and 50 hours and 50 dives of offshore air diving (wet bell and all that) to do your sat course. But the norm seems to be that before you go offshore at all you need some civils, as far as I am aware. Is this right Berk?

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts