YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>For anyone who is interested:

19 of the worlds 21 species of albatross are now in danger of extinction, largely due to longline fishing. This type of fishing kills more than 300,000 seabirds annually, including 100,000 albatrosses. The birds either drown or die of their injuries after coming into contact with baited hooks on lines up to 80 miles long.  Albatrosses reproduce slowly - it can be 12 years before they breed, and they generally only produce one egg every two years - so they cannot withstand this sort of pressure.

It only takes a few simple measures to make longline fishing safer for birds, such as setting lines at night and setting them through tubes which take the lines underwater and out of reach of the albatrosses faster.  Please support Birdlife International and the RSPB in their Save The Albatross campaign, intended to make licenced fishing vessels safer for seabirds and to try to stop pirate fishing.

You can sign the Birdlife International online petition here

RSPB link

Birdlife International link

The RSPB is starting a new fundraising campaign to support this work.  If you would like to donate, please contact me or email [email protected]

Thanks, Kate

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Nice one Kate, I've posted your message and links on my old uni club site too seeing as there's hordes of putative Zoologists and Marine Biologists there although whether any of today's Z/MB students actually really care about such issues is debatable

Cheers
steve

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

What flavour is it?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Imported post

I've been trying to save the Albatross for a few years now, only need two more and I'll have the complete set...

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

done and I've e mailed it to several friends.....having travelled to Antarctica specially to see the wandering albatross, I can vouch for their beauty and for the fact that their numbers are dwindling cos of long line fishing. I will send a donation:(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Added my name, why do we destroy everything else & each other?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Name on petition.  

You do have to think that if we cannot even stop our own fisherman from breaking the terms under which they are allowed to fish and land catches there cannot be much hope held out for stopping those who work entirely outside the law.  Sad though it is.....

Lou

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Signed and circulated among Swedish divers.

·
'Actual Yorkshireman'
281 Posts
Imported post

Sorted !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts