YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi there, Started diving 3 yrs ago on a holiday to Mauritius, I came late to this sport being 50+ at the time. Since then 85 dives Basic nitrox & AOW in warmer climes, Red Sea day & Liveaboard, Antigua, Tennerife, Curacao and Sardinia. Planned trip to Grand Turk in January, cannot wait.No experience of UK diving and I think I would need a little convincing on that point,I have worked in the N Sea for the last 17 yrs on an oil production platform and although I see some wonderful sites out there from shark to killer whale, seals and abundant fish & bird life around the platform. I still know that its only 11*c on a good day.After saying all that I enjoy a good social weekend or weekdays away, maybe I could hold the soup flask for someone with a pint of "Mr J Smiths" in the other.Trips to warmer climes I'm your man, or as Terry Wogan calls people of my age, I'm your " Tired Old Git".
It's a great site, in colour too, who says us Yorkshire lads dont know how to live.....Sithee

Peter B...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

11*C is nice and toasty in a dry-bag so less of the complaining and get in amongst it that man! It's when it hits 4*C you start to question your sanity.

If you don't you'll be missing a #### of a lot of good stuff so get sorted with the boys on here and you'll never look back... Ask Bren (Mr Cold water convert) Tierney

PS Jealous... very much

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi John,  nice to have to you with us.

If its convincing you want you've come to the right place.  Although the best way to do it would be to give it a try - get yerself to a great site (may I suggest St Abbs? - I know, a little controversial on this site) and give it a try. You'll enjoy it.  It won't be cold if you're appropriately dressed.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter,

A warm welcome to YD mate. Err....Tim...he's called Peter - John's the other recent recruit mate!! ;)

As Drifty says, get yourself a dry-bag and we'll take you to any number of training sites before we take you off to the Oggin. We've an abundance of Instructors on here, so we can do it any style, any agency. You will not look back.

I've been diving nearly 14 years and only in the last two have I been doing it in the UK - very different to diving in the Blue, but just as rewarding - if not more so.

Welcome aboard mate and whether you dive with us or not, you're more than welcome to accompany us on any dive and share the giggle and banter, of which there is a decidedly high quotient!! Look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers,

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Hello Peter, good to have you with us.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Bren Tierney on 2:14 pm on Dec. 1, 2002
Err....Tim...he's called Peter - John's the other recent recruit mate!! ;)
<span =''>

#### that Narcosis (Ahem).

Sorry Peter.  Still welcome aboard.

I shall now slink slowly away.

(Edited by Timing at 4:32 pm on Dec. 1, 2002)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome & the invitations from everyone,
i may take you up on it in the summer.
I'm at work at the moment, a Hooligan blowing outside set to reach 100 knots by 3 in the morning. You lucky people on dry land, Dive Safe and always risk assess...  

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter
Welcome to the boards mate - I know exactly what you mean about starting late (51 - did PADI OW in June) but hey where have I been all my life??!! My first dive after doing the course out in Turkey was off Anglesey at end of August (just a bit of a difference!) God man, you must really see some sites out there - wildlife/marine life/ weather (especially weather).
Looking forward to your posts and see you next summer!!
Cheers
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts