YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

by popular demand here is the recipe for scallops el Diablo.

1) Go for a dive and fill a goodybag with scallops, send it up with a lifting bag and then half fill a second goody bag. Come up when you get low on air, no deco time, or scallops.<GRIN> laugh at everyone else cos they didnt find as many.

2) Do the necessary with the scallops throwing back the coral and the other gubbins and just keeping the circular white meat bit.

3) wash and dry each scallop and slice in half depthwise to form two thinner discs. Flour lightly on a board.

4) Chop up a couple of cloves of garlic, a large handful of fresh basil and a half a red chilli (no seeds) into itsy bitys pieces.
Squeeze a lemon.

4) Heat up some olive oil in  pan and flash fry the scallops on both sides till they are lightly browned.

5) add the garlic, basil, chilli and lemon juice to the scallops in the pan move it around a bit to mingle the flavours then serve.

6) serve on a plate with lettuce  and a blob of mayonaise.
oh and a bottle of dry white wine to wash it down, a chenin blanc from the new world would be splendid.

Yum Scrum

We had these in mull and some people had thirds!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 16 2003,20:44)]
1) Go for a dive and fill a goodybag with scallops, send it up with a lifting bag and then half fill a second goody bag. Come up when you get low on air, no deco time, or scallops.<GRIN> laugh at everyone else cos they didnt find as many.

2) Do the necessary with the scallops throwing back the coral and the other gubbins and just keeping the circular white meat bit.
Cooking them wastes soooo much time, you can eat them as soon as you get back in the boat.  It's worth doing just to watch the seasicks faces.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Yep, we ate them raw on Islay and they tasted fine. Another way to cook them is to place the chopped meat of 2 or 3 in one of the shells, pour cream over it, add your favourite herbs and spices and pop the shell under the grill for a couple of minutes. Scrumptious!

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

bumped this to the top becuase a lot of people asked for the recipe when i cooked them at the weekend.

For 4 people as a starter you need 12 scallops, half a chilli, a clove of garlic, 2 lemons, and a big handful of basil.....just scale up the quantities if you are cooking for more.

Jules
x

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ Sep. 16 2003,21:17)]Cooking them wastes soooo much time, you can eat them as soon as you get back in the boat.  It's worth doing just to watch the seasicks faces.
why wait till you are back on the boat - have them on deco stops; a good way to pass the time.  

Simon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>By strange conincidence, got a load of scallops yesterday and will try out your yummy sounding recipe tonight.

From somebody not brave or macho enough to eat them raw

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Mar. 10 2004,09:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 16 2003,20:44)]scallops throwing back the coral
Why are you getting rid of this bit?

Regards

Confused
This recipe only uses the round white meat bit. I know some people do eat the Coral (the orangey bit) but personally i dont like it and Ithink same goes for a lot of people.

If you do the encessary in the boat on the way back then you can throw all the shells and left over bits in the dsea and back into the food chain.
jules

·
Registered
262 Posts
Imported post

IS there a season for scallops ? Thought I'd ask before I give myself a serious dose of food poisoning......

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

i understand that the  season is all year but you should only take those scallops which are larger than a mans hand in size. All others are deemed too small and must be put back itno the sea to grow some more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

All sounds a bit too fancy to me.

Cut the white meat into two "discs", splash of white wine and a thingy of garlic in a hot frying pan, show them the heat, remove from pan and trough away! (trough- Yorkshire for consume!)

Regards a season for scallops, don't think there is as such, but be advised that the "powers that be" ocassionally ban scallop fishing round these parts when the toxin levels in them get too high.
Can't remember the name, think it's called "ASP".

Q1. How big is a man's hand?
Q2. Is it true what they say about men with big hands?

Errr, I'll get me coat (again!)

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ Mar. 10 2004,21:09)]Regards a season for scallops, don't think there is as such, but be advised that the "powers that be" ocassionally ban scallop fishing round these parts when the toxin levels in them get too high.
Can't remember the name, think it's called "ASP".
I think that was the other reason for disguarding the coral...

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Sounds great, Jules.  I've added some shredded ginger to the same recipe which was nice.

Also, try frying bits of good bacon slowly until crisp in butter and then do the scallops (I like the coral!) which I score cross-wise.  Good on a salad.  OR, whip the scallops etc out after a minute or so, stick in some creme frais or double cream and heat like crazy.  Chuck in a bit more butter and lots of black pepper.  Chuck the scallops back in then trough immediately!

Bit of an Atkins one that - those on low fat diets stay away, it'll give you a coronary...  

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>As promised, tried your recipe and it was fantastic, did add some Sake, stir fried vegetables and a bottle of red wine though.:p

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Mar. 10 2004,22:15)]Also, try frying bits of good bacon slowly until crisp
Janos' first law of cooking: Practically any savoury dish can be improved by adding bacon.

Laters,
   Janos

PS - I like the coral too, but I remove it and add it right at the end, if I can be arsed. If not I leave it on.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janos @ Mar. 11 2004,22:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Mar. 10 2004,22:15)]Also, try frying bits of good bacon slowly until crisp
Janos' first law of cooking: Practically any savoury dish can be improved by adding bacon.

Laters,
   Janos

PS - I like the coral too, but I remove it and add it right at the end, if I can be arsed. If not I leave it on.
Coral..... I though it was its tadger....  

Only joking

Simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts