YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Hello one & all

I'm in the process of getting costings & availability of a boat/s in scapa for next year. I know that it is a long way off, but they get booked up early!

So, please indicate if this idea interests you, then when I have dates I'll post them and we can go ahead.

HOWEVER, THIS WILL BE MONEY UP FRONT TO RESERVE A PLACE. AS A DEPOSIT HAS TO BE PAID TO SECURE THE BOOKING.

I've dived up there 3 times, and if you haven't - why not.
This could be your chance.

Chris

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Chris,
you sweet-talking so and so! I am definately interested in a scapa trip.
jules

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

Any time - any price!

Count me in!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>When are you thinking of going? I'm off in Sept this year but would still be potentially interested to go again post-May 2004.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>I'm presently waiting for replies from operators in Scapa.

One has replied & that is Bob Anderson who runs the MV Halton, www.mvhalton.co.uk, and has dates available. The 29th May till 6th August and 12-17th September have already gone, all the rest are available at the moment but the enquiries are starting to come in for next year.

Charges are:

Live-aboard

£2200  for the boat per party of 12 per week
£220  per week per head for individuals.

Day boat

£1800  for the boat per party of 12 per week
£180  per week per head for individuals.

Please note that a 20% deposit is needed to secure the booking.

What would people be interested in, live on board or ashore. I think it would be fun to be on the water for the hell of it. It opens up a whole new world to those who have never really experianced UK diving!!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Interested.....

These Liveaboards, being as they ain't the type with jacuzzi and sunbed, do they dock in town in the evenings, or stay out at sea?  I can imagine a week at sea with shite weather could get very wearing, very quickly.  If they came in to dry land at night though it could be ok.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Put me down as a 'very likey possible' for the moment. Just need to see what Fi's diary's looking like. I've also got some other names for boats and skippers Chris, I'll dig them out and let ya have them.

I've never dived Scapa, but the history behind it means that it is a trip I'll try desperately not to miss!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou/Chris,
                The best way to "do" Scapa is from a liveaboard. It leaves you with so many other options available(Sule Stack, Manina, North Shoal to name a couple). These can be done as a day boat but it's a looooooong day(Sule Stack up at 5am, back at 10pm). One of the ideal ways is days 1 + 2, dive the fleet and blockships and go to shore at night, day 3, folk can either off-gas on shore or dive the fleet, days 4 + 5 leave shore, go to wrecks/spectacular scenics on the outer isles and sleep in open water.
 By far the best diving is out of the flow, but nobody ever sees past the well known Scapa wrecks.
 I'd be up for it though!!!!!

Peter

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

sounds like PK has a good plan there. Personally I would like to get off the boat at least once or twice for a hot bath and decent bed, so his plan sounds fine.
I am definately interested and as far as dates go would prefer it to be outside the school hols. How about mid june/early july? or after the start of september?I assume that the livaboards have compressors? Nitrox?

looking forward to it already

jules

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Julia. I can run a mean diving trip as you'll find out

Peter

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 21 2003,15:16)] By far the best diving is out of the flow, but nobody ever sees past the well known Scapa wrecks.

Peter mate.

People go up to Scapa for the wrecks, mostly intact, easily penetratable and almost no days lost due to bad weather so why bother with sceanic dives outside the flow.

Dive the batleships once each, the cruisers, Brummer, Dresden and the Koln are awesome and worth diving two times each the Karlsruhe once, forget the F2 and maybe do a couple of girlie good vis dives on the blockships total twelve dives, no time to go outside the flow.

l`m off to Scapa for the fourth time in three weeks Yippee
l recon l`ll be driving through wegiland about 4 am, OK if l call in for brecky Peter?

Chris, our group has used four different boats, we`re using the Anette Rosenkilde for the third time this year.
PM me if you want any info.

l`d say put my name down however l`m part way through organising our Scapa trip for 2004.

Next year l might even follow Peter`s advice and go outside the flow.

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

just thought...what kind of depths are we thinking of??

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Julia,

There's a very good guide book to Scapa by Rod Macdonald with the Ronseal title of "Dive Scapa Flow", published by Mainstream. I'll bring it to Mull with me for you to look at - I promise it will get you excited (though I guess in diving terms it doesn't take much!).

To answer your question, the sea bed at Scapa is generally around 40m, but as most of the wrecks are at least 20m high (big ships!) most of the diving is well within normal recreational limits.

I've never been (had one trip aborted to my dismay) but by all accounts the most sensational diving in UK waters.

If this trip gets off the ground, I'm on it!

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

well.. work permitting I wanna be on this one.  gimme some sates and I can give you a yay or nay.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi all,

I would say to go with the liveboard option even if you don't go out of the flow you will probably have the option to moor in a different port each night, as to depths as Mark said they start quite shallow but you have to go deeper to see anything of interest as they are either on their side or upside down.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Make my name a %99 definite for the trip. The only time I cant get off work is August but I was planning to go diving in Scotland in July anyway. I will look forward to it. Liveaboard or On-shore sounds Just as good to me, Liveaboard Pips it if I am pushed to choose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Imported post

Having never dived Scapa but heard good things about it from those who have, I would be up for it if the dates are right.

Barry

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Damn

I am already booked into the Dive Cellar with Canterbury Divers in Aug 04.

I wonder if i could get a second week off to dive? When hell freezes over she says.

Ho Hum

Maybe i'll see some of you up there, we will be the 12 southern softies drinking shandy - i think not.

Q - will we get altitude sickness being that far north?

Q - Do they really deep fry their mars bars?

Have a good trip all,

Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts