YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet again the long slog up the country to get a ferry to Orkney....yet again a great week aboard the Valkyrie with some good divers and the best crew in the Flow (feel free to disagree....:D)

Commiserations to MartyC who developed a bad throat and couldn't dive but the other guys had fun. The Duck was particularly pleased because he got to dive the Bayern turrets and the Strathgarry, both were totally new dives for him.

The boat wasn't full which Hazel said made it easier to do a first week and make sure that everything was working as it should. The modifications over the winter include a couple of new portholes so the starboard thunderbox now has light and the galley a bit more ventilation over the sink. I know painting had been done....some of it was still tacky:D

Food was the usual parade of sumptuousness with the addition of starters (it'll be silver service next) and I would recommend the cheese and onion tartlets.

Not much to report on the dive front cos I was a bit wheezy meself and only did three dives, Dresden, Konig and Koln but I'm back up in September so I'll make up for the deficit. Took some nice pics on the Konig, plenty of vis and lots of growths.

Thanks again to H & H for another terrific week of diving (apparently the shot dropped on the Strath was a direct hit:D) good food and the sort of banter that is natural when a bunch of dive addicts get together.

Roll on September......

·
-
120 Posts
This was agreat trip for me, my first time in the "Flow" and first time on the "Valkyrie".
It was always a trip i have put off and i don't know why but i will certainly do it again but maybe when it is a little warmer, 5degrees out of the water 7 dgrees in!

Highlight was the Strathgarry with some seriously accurate shotlaying by Hazel! Vis was 15m++ and except for the temperature i could have been in the Red Sea.

It was great to share the boat with a great bunch of dive nerds er! i meant dive gods! ;)
Food was fantastic but i only put on about 2 pounds over the week, Helen what went wrong!

Thanks and well done to all!
Denis

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I think Marty should give up and move to Egypt. Glad the Val is up to it's usual standards. I just know that every trip report I see mentioning the Val and Scapa this year will be painful. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think Marty should give up and move to Egypt. Glad the Val is up to it's usual standards. I just know that every trip report I see mentioning the Val and Scapa this year will be painful. Maybe next year.
You may be right, if you would care to fund said move I would be more than willing to give it a go :wink:
The boat was great the crew better than ever and the guy's were a lot of fun (and no not in the biblical sense) - the throat infection was a real pita but sh#t happens and I'm back later in the year - so yar boo sucks to everyone who took the michael :shade:

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
This was my first time on any liveaboard & I have already threatened to return, probably not this year but definitely next . I actually lost weight during the week !
Comiserations to Marty & to Keith but also many thanks to Marty for the loan of his O3 switch .
The highlight of the week was the Strathgary , 58m to the bed & Rob, Simon & I could see the Duck on the opposite end to us which is about 30m !
I watched him come from the top of the wreck to the shotline & I was on my 18m deco stop so again about 30m .
Now I do have some "Photos" that I am not certain if I should post ? They involve 2 certain people & a party on the Friday night :) what you you think ?

·
Warm water Diver
647 Posts
Now I do have some "Photos" that I am not certain if I should post ? They involve 2 certain people & a party on the Friday night :) what you you think ?

Yea, it was a fab week, the food the diving the company, it really was. i thourghly enjoyed meeting a group of new guys and had a good laugh in the process.
AS for the the 2 pics, well iv 2 also taken ot the same two persons, but i value my life and its not nice goin overboard with no drysuit on....lol..also the fact that im back again for more shortly too....so if you wana go for it colin, be my guest, im not.....lol

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was my first time on any liveaboard & I have already threatened to return, probably not this year but definitely next . I actually lost weight during the week !
Comiserations to Marty & to Keith but also many thanks to Marty for the loan of his O3 switch .
The highlight of the week was the Strathgary , 58m to the bed & Rob, Simon & I could see the Duck on the opposite end to us which is about 30m !
I watched him come from the top of the wreck to the shotline & I was on my 18m deco stop so again about 30m .
Unless you are a real whiz with photoshop or any of the proprietary editing software you should really be asking yourself why you would want to put any future Scapa diving in jeopardy.....the ladies have a great sense of humour, certainly, but they will hunt you down without mercy if you do something that really needn't be done. By the way, the ladies looked loverly

·
5,509 Posts
Don't worry I value my diving to much ! I can honestly blame somebody else for the idea though & plead temporary insanity :)

·
5,509 Posts
Yes thanks very nice indeed but have decided I'm a coward at heart ! (+ I have to go to the boat on Friday to collect something & I do not want to get wet !)

·
5,509 Posts
Well I actually went today & jolly glad I did ....... Big piece of Helens carrot cake on the table ! Help yourself I was told, so I did & it was lovely :)
Sorry Alistair:popcorn:
Hopefully coming back up in September for another week.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Royal Oak

One thing we forgot to mention guys.

On behalf of us all I have to say thank you to Hazel for taking us up to see the position where the Royal Oak went down, very somber moment thinking of all those who went down with her.
You wouldn't think taking a turn around a buoy would be a memorable experience, but I found it quite moving.:sad:

·
5,509 Posts
Agreed & it still has that feeling even looking at the photo's I took of the buoy .

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was going to pretend that the Royal Oak buoy was of passing interest but I notice I took rather a lot of pictures and I couldn't help remembering that my dad was in the Navy and spent time at Scapa. Hazel struck exactly the right note when she came on the dive deck to remind us that over 600 men went down with the ship. Sobering to think that the cost of freedom can be so high when others pick up the tab on our behalf.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts