YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,

I'm currently planning a trip Scapa, and i'm looking for possible boats. The one i have in mind is the Sunrise run by Dougie Leask.

Can anyone tell me more about this boat, and what its really like as it looks good.

Cheers,

Tim  

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

The boat we went on this year

MV Bounteous Sea

l looked over the Sunrise whilst moored near us, l'm glad we went on the Bounteous Sea, its a bigger boat with more open deck space.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I went on the Jean Elaine twice last year.  She, along with sunrise, are the two most expensive boats up there.  However with Jean Elaine, you get Ronnie, the Glasweigan crewman who is quite honestly worth every penny extra.  If it is rough he helps you up the ladder and has a cup of tea/coffee/soup in your hand before your arse has hit the bench!
The skipper Andy is fantastic, and i think my favourite place is sat in the chair (with seatbelts......its ex-lifeboat) steering her down the flow.
Ronnies fried brekkies are great - made me put on weight though!

Handy hints - drive as far as Helmsdale and stay in the youth hostel overnight for £9, drive the last wee bit in the morning to Scrabster.  Much better than driving overnight.
Take a camping mat to pad your bottles/kit for the ferry.
Go and see Ben at Scapa Scuba - ask to see the Gimp Mask!
Drink in the Ferry Inn - its where the locals drink.
Do the northern isles trip if you get the chance - the Tommelina is worth it alone.

Jean Elaine homepage

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Tim

Are you organising a trip for your club/friends/YD? It might be worth posting once you have it up and running if you are looking for no.s.

I ran one last year as all my club were "up for it", I ended up with half from other clubs as "it all went quiet over there" when it was time to cough up the cash.

Their loss though, it was a belting week and everything was great, we even got within 100m of a pod of Killer Whales on the outside of the flow where we had been doing a scenic dive. If we had been in the water a half hour longer, they would have came right over us - scary thought.

James

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I had a good look over Sunrise last year - we were on a different boat - and she does look a good'un.
I reckon you won't go far wrong.  Come to think of it - is there such a thing as a bad dive boat out of Stromness? The only one I can think of is the exact double of the one we were on that kept leaping out of the way when I was trying to stagger onto her after a mad night's Orkney hospitality.
TBH I'm feckin amazed I survived the week...

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Jan. 06 2004,22:49)]Come to think of it - is there such a thing as a bad dive boat out of Stromness?
Yes, and its called the Girl Mina.

We used it the first time in Scapa.

Terry the skipper was a larf' though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narkedat50 @ Jan. 06 2004,22:44)]Tim

Are you organising a trip for your club/friends/YD? It might be worth posting once you have it up and running if you are looking for no.s.

I ran one last year as all my club were "up for it", I ended up with half from other clubs as "it all went quiet over there" when it was time to cough up the cash.

Their loss though, it was a belting week and everything was great, we even got within 100m of a pod of Killer Whales on the outside of the flow where we had been doing a scenic dive. If we had been in the water a half hour longer, they would have came right over us - scary thought.

James
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you organising a trip for your club/friends/YD?
To start with yeah its gonna be a club trip, but if there are places available i'll let you guys know as i rather go with people i have at least heard of than complete strangers.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

I'm still getting the hang of this program so sorry about the quote thingy above!!!

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tiewrapdiver @ Jan. 06 2004,23:31)]To start with yeah its gonna be a club trip, but if there are places available i'll let you guys know as i rather go with people i have at least heard of than complete strangers.
<font color='#000080'>our club or your home club?

and what do you mean, complete strangers? we're all friends here on YD!  

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi Tim,

Our club went on the Jean Elaine and agree with Porg she is an amazing boat! Has a really good deck layout, loads of room and extra wide benchs so you can actually sit on them with your kit on, rather than perching on the edge! Also has covered changing/ drying area which is just above the engine room so always nice and warm! Andy the skipper is fab, very friendly and flexible. Ronnie the mate is brilliant! Will literally pull you up the ladder on a rope and he seems to be psychic as everytime time you just think you want a cup of tea/ biscuit etc. he's right there! Amazing!
Tried to book it again for 2004 but I didn't get in touch til Sept/ Oct '03 and they were booked by August! Definatly gonna book for 2005 though!

Cheers,

Jen

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Hi kate, I didn't mean the YD guys are strangers, i meant the general public.

The trip is for my club at home, but if places are available certain members of our club could be invited.  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts