YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

4 spaces on trip to scapa.  

The trip includes mini bus hire (17) seat, all fuel, Ferry Crossing, Hard Boat 7 days, Breakfast, Packed Lunch and Evening Meal, Unlimited Tea / Coffee whilst on the boat, Accommodation which has its own Sauna, DAN Insurance, O2 & First Aid.

If all this is not enough the Ed of Sport Diver magazine will be with us for the 2nd year running.

Please note that there are only 4 spaces left so do not delay in booking.  

For further details. Please contact [email protected] for details

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Cost?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Having seen all the other Forums spammed with posts from a company named Divefun advertising trips, I wasn't on my own in thinking it all got rather repetative and was glad to leave it behind on the likes of Handbag.net and uk Rec Scuba.

If its coincidence the latest Scapa Trip post is from another organisation with an identical name, then I apoligise for any offence.

Point being, if its a commercial trip organised out of a shop or business then I personally feel it should be in the Member Services section.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Absolutely Tony.

The guy's got three posts and is basically spamming his business.

I personally would not go on a trip with him as if he cannot understand the correct protocol for ADVERTISING then then the difficulties of trip preparation may well be beyond him ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Guys / Girls,

If I have caused any offence by posting on the site then I am sorry.  Divefun is very similar to that of YD but probably in a little more advanced in its development.

I have a full time day job that I could never replace with diving and this alone provides me with sufficiant income to provide for my family.

Divefun was started out of a diving incedent that I mention within surface interval.   I wave watched the YD site with interest over several months and was amazed that as a group of divers that we could not provide new divers with the benefit of our collective experiance in what was my FIRST POST ON YD.

My second was to thank digger for his reply.

Like YD Divefun have costs and as any of you know the organising of trips takes some time.

Divefun beleive that all trips should be run with full first aid, O2 and even a AED which cost £2k to purchase.

This is why we have TWO DAN o2 kits, 2 first aid kits and trip leaders that know how to use them.  

Like YD we have web hosting costs along with further costs of insurance (DAN) and po box no.  

I am also a qualified instructor but do not teach but prefer to offer the benefit of my experiance to new divers that we meet at Stoney.

I hope that this clears things up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Mike,

Did you not read the mail above?

I do not run a business I have a full time day job and look after a £22M per year sales budget. I do find it strange that a fellow diver with 1203 posts can have a pop with me having 5 posts!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divefunscuba @ Feb. 28 2004,15:21)]I do find it strange that a fellow diver with 1203 posts can have a pop with me having 5 posts!
<font color='#000F22'>Why - you are spamming a business that you run. Your daytime activities have nothing to do with abusing board etiquette

If you wish to advertise I suggest you stick your post in member services ...

Your earlier observation that YD was not "as developed" as your business is nonsense. You are comparing two entirely different things.

YD trips are organised by members not YD itself.

YD trips are non-profit making everybody pays their share and no more.

If you were completely unaware of the protocol then so be it - let's move on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

Gavin,

Your reply is why i do not often post to web sites.

Yet again you have failed to read my post.  As to say that my day time job has nothing to do with it again you are missing the point.

I have full time job outside of diving which more than provides for my family. Therefore Divefun is NOT a business.

A Business is :

1. business •n. (100%)
a person's regular occupation or trade.

Divefun is neither.

You do not have to explain how YD is run as I know that.  I had a post to make regarding the trip that I am organising and therefore I placed it in  the planned trips section.

I am not going to say any more on the matter nor am i going to move the post as it has been posted in the correct section.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

FWIW Here's my 2p.

I think it all comes down to whether you are making a profit from it or not. If you're shelling out some cash and splitting the cost equally then I think it's fine to be in this section. But if you're taking a cut, then it's not.

The fact that you're using DiveFunScuba as a login name and the way your original post comes across as an advert (IMHOTEP) does suggest the latter.

Laters,
   Janos

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Janos and Tony hit the nail on the head.

Either "Divefun" completely misunderstands the nature of "not for profit" or he is being deliberately obtuse.

But Divefun !

If you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart and not making any profit then more power to your elbow and I apologise unreservedly.

Otherwise, members services is where you should post as Georgina has done with her delightful apartment and other have done before her.

I have looked at your site and believe that it is commercial in the sense that you offer "corporate packages" and offer a "premium membership" for £25.

Believe me when I say that I hope you'll continue to post on YD but please observe protocol for everyone's sake.

YD's position as a group of individuals who sometime dive together has produced a record membership, lots of fun and for me  - some great friends. This is probably partly due to having been unsullied by commercial considerations. Long may that continue.

There are diving professionals who post regularly on this site, from skippers and boat owners to instructors and divemasters.

Their input is most welcome and it has to be said some have provided fantastic discounts to fellow YDers.

I'm looking forward to next weekend's trip to Mull, diving on a fantastic boat with good accomodation, lunches part of the deal - all for a song. This trip was organised by Peter Kelly who will pay the same as everyone else and despite the time it has taken him - he wouldn't expect anything else. That is the YD spirit.

I'll buy him a few pints if he smiles at me  

Ditto Mark Davis - despite being very busy in his professional life he found time to organise a Red Sea trip and was a major force behind YD-stock.

BTW - dictionary time.

Business - Any particular action engaged in for gain.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Okay come on people, its seems reasonably clear that it is a trip not a general advert so this is the right section. If Andy posts asking if 'anyone wants anything done on Taurus over Easter weekend' people don't jump down his throat. Hope that isn't taken the wrong way because I'm aware I'm new but its not a criticism its just a statement. I assume (bloody well hope) that Andy makes a profit but don't really dwell on the issue. If we fancy the trip we can book on it, if not we don't. Profit doesn't really come into it, what if you orqanised a trip and took the usual free place for full boat for yourself rather than reducing everyone's cost. That's profit but I assume no one is gonna care. Its a trip, he's a new member, its not even his primary business, why jump down his throat and put him off. As to 'premium membership', we all have red balls here don't we? Just my thoughts. Iestyn:)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Iestyn @ Feb. 28 2004,20:17)]What if you orqanised a trip and took the usual free place for full boat for yourself rather than reducing everyone's cost.
<font color='#000F22'>That's not the way we've been doing it for the last two years - I'd like that to continue.

My reading of Andy's kind offer over Easter was he was giving YDers first refusal - that goes with his usual fine attitude to these kind of things.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It was indeed a kind offer and at a great price which is why I booked it and if I don't care if one guy makes a profit I don't see why I should expect another to give a full breakdown of a trip's cost.

To me it looks bloody good value but I still can't afford it so c'est la vie:) Its a trip and deserves to be in the trip section along with anyone elses.

I think if I ever got round to organising something I'd just split it equally as would probably feel like a freeloader otherwise but equally if someone else was organising a trip it wouldn't even occur to me to ask if that's what he was doing which is what your doing here. If I found out they were'nt I wouldn't care as long as I was happy with the price, and if I wasn't I wouldn't have booked on to it.

On a side note I have looked at the website and it looks fair, the weekends are more than you'd pay direct but not much and you pay to remove all risk of not filling a boat and being left with a huge bill, especially if you only have a buddy not a club making charter awkward. Seems a fair deal. In particular the EFR courses are a bloody bargain and I will go on one if the whole YD voluntary one falls through.

All in all I don't understand the need to criticise a trip being advertised in the trips section. If you don't want to go, don't book.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Same question,

Cost?

Or have i missed something. Our club trip is £350 at Dive Cellar in mid Aug this is Boat, dives, accom (half board) and travel (subject to final arrangements) for 12.

I like to have a comparison, gas is extra subject to  EAN %.

As for the dive mentoring, we do it for a reasonable club membership fee which includes cheap air (£10 a year) and Nitrox (£2 a fill). Mentored from try dive (£5) through (Ocean - Sport - Dive Leader to Advanced diver - so 4 courses for a one off cost of £100 total).

So offering a service is fine, but lets put it into context.

Cost?

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Says £550 on his website. Diving, accomodation, full board, travel from London, can't remember rest. Website name just about visible on bottom of AVATAR.

Obviously not as good value as your club but I just figure for someone outside the club system given the nightmare of the travel, plus the difficulties in filling a boat. Its far from unfair, and if he doesn't fill it it won't be very profitable at all!.

Also ther more trips posted the better, just because their commercial to a greater or lesser extent, doesn't mean we won't be tempted, if we're not we can ignore them:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>air and 15l tanks and weights as well, also likely to be useful to a newbie outside the club system.
www.divefun.co.uk

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Having read all the arguments, I'll have to go with Parahandy on this one.

Put the post where it belonges, member services. If we take loads of commercial posts we will loose YD to advertisements. Maybe we should have a "chargeable" commercial trip promo section to raise funds for YD and offer the members a service at the same time?

James  

·
Registered
233 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Not a bad idea at all, like hanbagnet's last minute spaces, but chargeing the skippers gives a risk of being subject to commercial control, why not free as would be a genuinely useful service to us.

I can see the argument that its at least important to see what's a commercial trip and what's not and that would be a good way of doing it. In the meantime maybe if it was made absolutely clear? Just think its actually a useful post about a tempting trip and planned trips is where I'd look for that.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Iestyn.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My reading of Andy's kind offer over Easter was he was giving YDers first refusal - that goes with his usual fine attitude to these kind of things.
 Let me refine the posting by Gavin.

Firstly, when i became a member of this site,months back. I was not a boat owner, but just a humble diver earning a good wage with some good time off to also go diving with my local club as well. However, i had the chance to buy a dive charter company and went for it.

With the EASTER trip, firstly i was booked by another dive club , that cancelled, and like Gavin said , i offered YDer's a first chance to dive..... OK the 4 days got a good amount of divers , and as i've been told , that most dive boats start thier seasons from Easter.....I have also offered all yder's for that weekend my winter rate at £ 15 a dive, and NOT charged for a whole boat charter.

Past charters in the past with fellow YDer's onboard , have seen the boat go out with 2 or 4 divers on, ( THERE IS NO PROFIT ) << juz, alan,mark chase >> can back me up there,I even offered just to take Mark and Andy P for a dive,as they couldn't get on some of the other days,,, however, the way i see it is , if there is a chance that some YDer's can meet up and have a dive , it's a good social event. I do consider YD being my local DIVE CLUB to which i am a member of .

Dave ( Skipper ) & I are both dive charter boat skippers/ operators on a commercial scale,but i would carry YDer's anytime if there is a dive they want to do with me,which some have / or in the planning stages.

Andy

(((( NOT RANTING ))))

1 - 20 of 28 Posts