YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scapa Flow is beckoning again in June. I have dived this before but I have organised the return trip myself this time around, and there are 12 of us going along and we are using the Radiant Queen as we were very pleased with the setup of Emily's boat and the accommodation she offers.

The last time we went back in October 2011 we dived the usual suspects of the Flow, but I was wondering if there are any other "must see" wrecks that we missed last time. We have the entire boat so can dictate the diving locations to suit ourselves.

Last time we dived the following, would anyone care to add to this list any additional "must do" wrecks of the Flow that we may have overlooked?

SMS Dresden
SMS Coln
SMS Kronprinz Willhelm
SMS Karlsruhe
SMS Markgraf
SMS Konig
SMS Brummer
F2 and Barge
Tabarka

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
You could try the James Barrie or the U boat not far from the barrie, the Rhodean but that can be a bit silty, the Mara if your desperate then the bottle dive just outside Lyness could be fun if you like a rummage

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Scapa Flow is beckoning again in June. I have dived this before but I have organised the return trip myself this time around, and there are 12 of us going along and we are using the Radiant Queen as we were very pleased with the setup of Emily's boat and the accommodation she offers.

The last time we went back in October 2011 we dived the usual suspects of the Flow, but I was wondering if there are any other "must see" wrecks that we missed last time. We have the entire boat so can dictate the diving locations to suit ourselves.

Last time we dived the following, would anyone care to add to this list any additional "must do" wrecks of the Flow that we may have overlooked?

SMS Dresden
SMS Coln
SMS Kronprinz Willhelm
SMS Karlsruhe
SMS Markgraf
SMS Konig
SMS Brummer
F2 and Barge
Tabarka

Bayern turrets

Seydlitz scrap

Strathgarry (58M so not for recreational diving)

In any case, if you've only been up to Scapa once there is still loads of diving to do on the usual fleet wrecks. Have you seen the rudders on the Markgraf or the main guns on the KPW?

The James Barrie is a nice little wreck, the emphasis being 'little' and it is quite deep. The Mara is hardly worth considering although there can be seals in the vicinity.

Whatever you decide, have a good time, the Queen is a nice little boat and Emily an excellent skipper.

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts

SMS Dresden
SMS Coln
SMS Kronprinz Willhelm
SMS Karlsruhe
SMS Markgraf
SMS Konig
SMS Brummer
F2 and Barge
Tabarka

At the risk of stating the obvious, why not ask Emily for a list of desirable wrecks, the skippers all know Scapa pretty well. She would probably be able to give you details that don't appear in the books.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Seem to remember a dive on an old dive boat that was returning from refit when it sank ! Was rather un-nerving to jump of a good dive boat to look at a not so good one, personally I did not think it was worth diving & I cannot remember the name of it. Think trimixer was on the same trip ?

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Seem to remember a dive on an old dive boat that was returning from refit when it sank ! Was rather un-nerving to jump of a good dive boat to look at a not so good one, personally I did not think it was worth diving & I cannot remember the name of it. Think trimixer was on the same trip ?
That was the Mara matey. I was indeed on the trip, Gordon told me it was a seal pup that was nibbling my fins as we swam round it. That was a memorable trip because I also saw two seals while we were mooching round the cruisers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Trimixer - I already have the list from Emily. I just wanted to listen to other people's input on alternative wrecks in the Flow - sometimes a gem may appear that has not been considered.

The deeper wrecks (50m+) are pushing the ability of the group as a whole, so will not be considered as we cannot all do the dive as not everyone has a trimix ticket, or wants to go to those depths. The other wrecks (and Turrets) mentioned above will be discussed during the coming weeks over a beer or two and a list generated for Emily's consideration.

Thanks for your input.

·
Wreck Ferret in training
566 Posts
The "bendy" (James) Barrie and the Gobernobor Boris (sorry, sure this one is spelt wrong but great blockship dive)

·
Registered
157 Posts
i've always considered the gobernador as one of the nicest dives in Orkney. normally brilliant vis, loads of light and loads of life. it's like diving in a fishtank. stick it on your list if you've never done it

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
The Doyle was great when I did it a couple of years ago but I hear it has collapsed now which is a shame. I found the Gobie relatively boring in comparison! The UB-116 was a great dive when I did it as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts