YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am booked on the Bounteous Sea in July to dive Scapa. It's the first time I will have dived Scapa, and the first time I've ben on a UK liveaboard. I haven't done that much hard boat diving in the UK either (mostly RIBs).

So I just wondered whether anyone who has dived on this boat before has any useful info to share? How easy or otherwise is it to get out? Does anyone know the approximate water temperature in late July?

Many thanks

Elaine

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
It's now the MV Valkyrie, you should check the booking is still ok. Run by Hazel and Helen and we did the first week they did as the Valkyrie about 2 weeks ago. Great accommodation, they have a lift (hooray) and Hazel and Helen are lovely.

Water temp in July will be a balmy 11-12 degrees.

Personally my favourite Scapa dives are the Kronprinz, Coln, James Barrie and the blockships. Apparently there are some reefs too...

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
And don't listen to Garf. He goes inside wrecks then has A Bit Of A Cry.
My deco plan for the markgraf this year....

ascend to 33 Metres for 1 minute sob
ascend to 30 metres for 1 minute "bit of a weep"
Ascend to 27 metres for 1 minute wet snotty bawling
Ascend to 24 metres for 1 minute soiling myself
Ascend to 21 metres for 1 minute asking if mummy can come get me
Ascend through intermediate stops maintaining gentle wracking sobs
Maintain 6 metre stop through floods of tears.
Surface. Alone. Probably. Again. FFS.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
My deco plan for the markgraf this year....

ascend to 33 Metres for 1 minute sob
ascend to 30 metres for 1 minute "bit of a weep"
Ascend to 27 metres for 1 minute wet snotty bawling
Ascend to 24 metres for 1 minute soiling myself
Ascend to 21 metres for 1 minute asking if mummy can come get me
Ascend through intermediate stops maintaining gentle wracking sobs
Maintain 6 metre stop through floods of tears.
Surface. Alone. Probably. Again. FFS.
WARNING! EXCEPTIONALLY FUNNY JOKE FOLLOWS. AM EXPECTING TO BE GREENED UNTIL YOUR MOUSE BUTTON WEARS OUT

Is that "Deco on the cry"?

WHY THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I am booked on the Bounteous Sea in July to dive Scapa. It's the first time I will have dived Scapa, and the first time I've ben on a UK liveaboard. I haven't done that much hard boat diving in the UK either (mostly RIBs).

So I just wondered whether anyone who has dived on this boat before has any useful info to share? How easy or otherwise is it to get out? Does anyone know the approximate water temperature in late July?

Many thanks

Elaine
Elaine - the main thing about this boat that you need to know is that it isn't called Bounteous Sea any more - it's now MV Valkyrie s- hopefully there hasn't been any confusion with your booking. It was certainly a nice boat as the Bounteous Sea last year and I'm sure Hazel and Helen will have improved things even more - now with a lift I think?

Water temps around 14 degrees last July IIRC

Hope that helps

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
keep meaning to green woz for his signature quoting Janos, so deco on the cry definately gets a green... :teeth:

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Hi Elaine, Im Helen (the crew) and so can hopefully answer some of your questions.

Garf, bad Garf, no biscuit. - i suspect he is referring to the fact that everyone who has been to scapa has been on the best boat ever - and there are 12 boats working the flow so lots of opinions floating around about who is best ;) We are all different.

Also someone on got a bit lost inside one of the wrecks (hence the Deco on the cry).....and there was a bit of a disagreement the other day on here about what was a good dive in Orkney.

PM me the name of your group organiser, or the exact dates of your trip and i can give you more information and answer all your questions, no matter how daft they may seem.

Ta

H

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
punny!

Is that "Deco on the cry"?
remind me ....was that dive done on a CCR (crying continously rebreather)
or was it on Oc sa ? (openly crying - sob aqua)

sorry couldnt resist.

As for the origional question on the thread, please as Helen said, pm either her or me with your trip dates and group organisers name and we can get back to you with what you need to know.

Hazel

ps all trips booked on the boat are running so there should be no problem at all :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts