YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mini bus leaving London on Friday 6 July at 0830, stop overnight at Glasgow. ( You can put your kit on the mini bus and fly up and back if you wish )

Return Sat 14 on 0630 ferry

Self catering live aboard

All in cost £685 including air, travel, minibus hire, ferry tickets, accommodation, charter, fuel, food ( apart from evening meal) * Previous years has resulted in a small refund of about £60 to £80 each after all the costs are covered from the total cost.

Not included:
Insurance
Nitrox ( paid in cash at the end of the week)

Please note Alan has run this trip for 18 years so he is very well known by the skipper and crew and has this trip down to the finest detail.

He is an Advanced BSAC Instructor so its also possible to discuss some training opportunities for sign off's.

Here is a link to last year's trip with write up and videos......

Trip Report: Scapa Flow 2011 Croydon BSAC Blog

Contact Alan Glen direct for full details 07818 406 156 -

Email Address ( alanbigsplash at gmail dot com )

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3 spaces left !! Minimum could maybe go to 12 and take another 5.

Hurry hurry it's a cracking trip.

Marc D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the details of the trip from this June 2011 which will give you an idea of the 2012 trip.

The Plan for Scapa Flow 2011

The Dive Charter
SUNRISE is chartered from 18 June to 25 June on a live aboard and self catering basis. We may travel out from Scapa for a few days to visit the Northern Islands weather permitting.

Gas
Air is supplied free on board. SUNRISE has its own compressor and charging panel. Cylinder filling is performed by the crew. After each dive you disconnect the first stage from any cylinder you need filled. Each Jacket / cylinder set can stay assembled all week and each diver will be given a name tag so that gas charges are easily recorded.
NITROX is charged at a minimum per cylinder / per litre depending on the percentage and cylinder size. Cost defined nearer the time.

Diving
There will be 2 dives a day and possibly a snorkel session if we are near seals. ( Barrel of Butter island) We are constrained by the tides when diving the block ships and the wrecks out around the islands, however tidal issues are not normally an issue in Scapa Flow. This week was chosen because it gave as much time as possible nearer to neap tides rather than spring tides.

Travel
Out
The minibus will leave Streatham at 0830 on Friday 17 June
The minibus will travel north on the M40 / M6 and we will pick up additional expedition members on the way.
The minibus will arrive at Hamilton at approx 1830 on Friday 18 June
The minibus will depart from Hamilton at 0515 on 25th June
The minibus will load onto the ferry to Orkney at approx 1230
The minibus will be used to visit neolithic heritage sights etc post dive
Return
The minibus will depart on the 0630 ferry from Stromness on sat 25 June and arrive back in London at approx 2300 hours.
Flying,
If you decide to Fly, we can take your kit in the minibus. We can collect you at Kirkwall airfield at approx 1730 on Sat 18 June. Slight reduction in cost by approx £50.

Skill level
You need to be a BSAC Sports Diver ( or equivalent ) as a minimum and be dive fit, medically fit and a current member of BSAC or similar for 3rd party insurance purposes. You should be able to deploy your own DSMB and perform decompression stops adequately.

Equipment
Sunrise has 12 x 12 Litre cylinders on board. 15Litre cylinders are available for hire. Details of cost available later. Most expedition members appear to use 2 x 12 Litre cylinders. I am eager to keep weight in the minibus to a minimum. An alternative air source is essential. If you will use a single cylinder bring your Pony in the minibus. Lead weights are available on board and only special weight belts in the minibus please.

Accommodation
Unless you choose to fly to Kirkwall airfield, we will all be staying at the Avonbridge hotel at Hamilton, in twin non smoking rooms.
On Board we will be sleeping in twin cabins

Food
We will set out for Kirkwall after unloading the minibus onto Sunrise. We will stock up on food for a week and then top up milk, eggs, etc etc as the week progresses.
Every morning we will have a help yourself continental type breakfast before the first dive. After the first dive we will have a cooked breakfast. After the second dive of the day we will have a snack and have an evening meal in a pub or similar. Just help your self to what is there. Tea and Coffee is on a DIY basis through out the day, just remember to ask the skipper if he wants some as well. We will always include the crew in the cooking every morning. We will take it is turns to cook and keep the place clean.

Payment
I have a separate Scapa Flow account and would like to pay for everything on the card or by cheque.
I need £100 as a deposit and the total payment ( £675) by 6 weeks before we set out on 18 June
Please make cheques out to Alan Glen Scapa Flow. You are still liable for the full amount if you cannot come along unless you find some one with adequate skills, to take you place.

For 10 people, £675 each includes: ( Everyone pays the same)
  • Cost of charter
  • Cost of fuel surcharge around Northern Isles
  • Minibus hire
  • Minibus damage deposit
  • Minibus ferry return
  • Foot passenger ferry return
  • Twin room accommodation at Hamilton
  • Food fund
  • Fuel fund
Not included
  • Holiday insurance of any kind ( The NHS will look after you in the recompression chamber)
  • Cost of Nitrox ( Payable in cash at the end of the week)
  • Cost of an evening meal
Refund
Where possible all left over cash will be distributed at the end of the holiday once all the debits have come out of the account.

Worth while reading
The Grand Scuttle by Dan van der Vat
The man who bought a navy by Gerald Bowman
Various dive books
Check out : www.sunrisecharters.co.ukfor details of the boat and the wrecks

Skill Development
I am a BSAC Advanced instructor and activities permitting, I may be able to witness / sign off some skills development so bring your log books. All dives will be properly logged and recorded.

Repairs
I shall have enough tools on board and also some spares and there is good back up with dive shops in Stromness for anything from dry suit zip replacement to pressure test / DV rebuilds.

I am happy to clarify any of the above. 07818 406 156

Alan

Marc D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few spaces still available. Please note this trip also includes some sight seeing trips as well if you want it as the mini bus is there so Alan knows lots of local places of interest. Diving and history if you want it.

Marc D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£100 deposit now

£585 balance due 6 weeks before I.e around 25th may

I have 3 places up for grabs.

This person can bring a buddy, just needs to be dive fit / medically fit / BSAC member for insurance cover or similar / BSAC sports diver minimum grade or equivalent, and must be able to live on a boat for a week without going mad...

In the past 19 years I have run this trip we always have some surplus left out of the pool of monies which is returned to each person at the end after we have caluclated the full costs. This is between £50 and £100 normally.

Thanks

Alan Glen

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
***************** PRICE DROP ************************

Hi all, Just 2 spaces remaining now and time is getting on so we have decided to reduce the price and take a small loss rather than a total loss. So if your interested we are looking for £550.00 a person. Thats £135.00 saving per person.

If you are interested in joining this well run and long standing trip which includes other visits around the area in the mini bus if you want to go along as part of the whole trip then get in touch quickly. Its a great trip becuase you get to go diving and see some of the area.

Call Alan to clarify details 07818 406 156

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last 2 spaces still available at a very good discount now.

Sensible offers welcome.

Call Alan direct to discuss.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts