YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

DIVER'S BODY TO BE RECOVERED
Police divers are due to recover the body of a man who went missing during a dive to a wreck off Orkney.

A search was launched after he was reported overdue by his boat MV Sunrise in Scapa Flow while surveying the German battle cruiser Brummer.

A body has been located within the wreck, said police, and divers are due to head out to the site for recovery.

RECEIVED: 21/10/2003 13:57:34

Peter

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Sad news Peter - those wrecks are so tempting to get further and further into - let's hope this is the last fatality of the year.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Amen to that brother.

RIP.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Not been a good week in Scotland, Loch Aline first, then Scapa.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

A man diving the wreck of the Brummer in Scapa Flow failed to return from the dive on Monday 20 October, his body was located later the same day by fellow divers.

The diver was part of a group aboard charter boat MV Sunrise on a week-long dive trip to explore the wrecks of Scapa Flow.

The alarm was raised at 4pm when the man was reported overdue from the dive. Local dive boats assisted with a search of the surface.

The dive group on MV Sunrise re-entered the water to search the wreck, and located the man's body. Unable to recover the body, they reported the position to the police. The police diving team have now located the body and are currently attempting a recovery.

Shetland Coastguard confirmed that the continuing difficulty with recovery is due to the body being inside a compartment within the wreck, and the conditions of the wreckage in that area are described as 'fragile'.

The wreck of the Brummer is one of the most popular sites in Scapa. Lying on her side at 33m on the seabed, the 140m-long WW1 German light cruiser contains may breaks allowing divers to penetrate the disintegrating interior.

Taken from D/Net

Peter

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Have been a bit worried about this one. Was hoping to of been on this scapa trip myself as some people cancelled at the last minute but I was unable to get the time of work so couldn't go however my buddy was able to go and upon hearing about this thought it could of been him. Heard from him today and he is ok however his buddy isn't... which is sad news indeed.

Not good to hear about this sort of stuff even worst if you know those concerned.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Dan,

I'm sure you don't need us to ask but please pass on our sympathy to all family and friends concerned if you get the opportunity.

Perhaps more so than usual, a case of "there but for the grace of God".

Dive safe, all.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I've just read on Teletext that Navy divers recovered him today. hopefully that's a "small" weight off his families mind at the moment.

Peter

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Don't Know if there is any truth in it but some of my club members are diving there at the moment, and have been told to keep away from the Brummer as it is being treated as a crime sceen.

Louigi.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Until investigations have concluded then divers will be asked to keep away.

The term "crime scene" would also cover accidents above the water.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i hope this diver rests in peace condolences to his family and to his buddy that has lost probably part of himself that day!! when u say the wreck is being treated as a crime scene is that a suspicion of some kind of foul play or just the term being used for the accident any official angle on this guys

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

No there wasn't any foul play but someone has died so either way the police have to investigate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts