YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let everyone who gived me advice on scapa i got here after long long journey from Dover weather has been pants but guess what, we have still been diving and getting 8 meters viz . but even weather is getting better .
2 wrecks yesterday scallops,crab,mussel for tea loverly

1st Karlsruhe
2nd Dresden

Dresden i have never been on a ship so big...awesome so far
Thumbs up for the skipper BoB

Halton Charters (01856) 851532: Details of the Boat

·
more posts than dives? book a boat asap
1,079 Posts
wait you hit the markgraf of the kronz prinz then!!

·
Wrecking the Plan
569 Posts
Did it in APRIL.....

We were up with Bob from HALTON Charters in APRIL and had excellant time although you look to be getting better viz as ours deteriorated with some high tides .............overall found the battleships being turtle were a bit dull and the cruisers were the dogs nuts for entry and interesting bits .........well and helped by sun giving better viz
Ask Bob about his piece of divers memorabilia the NAVY LUNG TESTER !
Enjoy
db

Bobs favourite questions 'How long to the dive site?' and 'What did you do before you got into this?' 'Are you the only gay in the village?'

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Bob's a good laugh, glad to hear that you're having a great time in Scapa. Some of my favourite wrecks were the real shallow one's, personally I thought all the really big wrecks were dull (but then I didn't have forever down there!). Have a great week!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were up with Bob from HALTON Charters in APRIL and had excellant time although you look to be getting better viz as ours deteriorated with some high tides .............overall found the battleships being turtle were a bit dull and the cruisers were the dogs nuts for entry and interesting bits .........well and helped by sun giving better viz
Ask Bob about his piece of divers memorabilia the NAVY LUNG TESTER !
Enjoy
db

i am enjoying all of it even bob's wind up's

Bobs favourite questions 'How long to the dive site?' and 'What did you do before you got into this?' 'Are you the only gay in the village?'
yes viz was 8m on sunday 10-12m this morning on the coln dive and 15m plus on what i think is called a block ship doyle.

Bob's a good laugh, glad to hear that you're having a great time in Scapa. Some of my favourite wrecks were the real shallow one's, personally I thought all the really big wrecks were dull (but then I didn't have forever down there!). Have a great week!

yes great time thanks to the yd'ers who posted about scapa to be honest enjoying it all. Coln is my best wreck so far. scallops,mussels,crab loverly.
borrowed off bob so far: a spade,books,2 DVD's, analyser

off to watch mate fly fishing now good place for a dive club holiday
hope the weather is good for your diving were ever you are it's getting better here sun's shining, sea's calm

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are the Scallops ok to eat at the moment?

Can't eat anything these days can you. Thanks i'll break the good news to my mate who's digging garden worms in the garden if i don't post i am in hospital !

Bio-toxins warning for Scapa Flow - Orkney Today

J.
Find the swimthrough on the Brummer. It's great. If me and Janos can get through it, anyone can.
I will ask to dive this one. right deffo fishing now mmmmmmm feel a little quezzy now prin: !

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
glad you are having a better time than I did when I went in April.:)

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
I was up there with Bob last week, weather was a bit [email protected] but we still had a fantastic time. Viz was best on the Barrie.

Have lots of fun...

MM

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Unfortunately...

Was this the week when two of your guys ended up in the pot ?
Tell us, how did that happen ?
Umm, that'll teach me to insist on copies of logbooks before letting people book onto trips and therefore really check dive experience aswell as quals (I think it went along the lines of) "I've done 300+ dives and I'm a PADI RD".

This meant "**** all" when I later find out that none were in the UK and after his 1st couple of "warm-up" Scapa dives he was panicing on the Margraaf (on the upturned hull) :frown:

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Glad you're having fun Roy.

Scapa is my diving spiritual home, love it, been there five times and going next year for the sixth.

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
The warning about scallops is localised to Scapa flow itself and not to the surrounding isles, so if you are up here and wanting scallops, check with the restaurant they are using scallops from outside the flow, I know the Ferry Inn is one such place.
On another note, I am still eating scallops I get out of the flow and it hasn't done me MUCH harm:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Umm, that'll teach me to insist on copies of logbooks before letting people book onto trips and therefore really check dive experience aswell as quals (I think it went along the lines of) "I've done 300+ dives and I'm a PADI RD".

This meant "**** all" when I later find out that none were in the UK and after his 1st couple of "warm-up" Scapa dives he was panicing on the Margraaf (on the upturned hull) :frown:
Thanks for the reply Nick, it was a long time ago now but I still remember it as being more the case of some dodgy divers

All the best

Ian

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wait you hit the markgraf of the kronz prinz then!!

yes dived the kronzprinz this morning fantastic dive. I did get a divers backup when i told him i was feeding the tropical blue fish,haddock,wrasse with a sea creature on the hull of the ship in 15metes viz

"How did you get the nickname 'Dodgy Bob' then???"
With BOB's pranks i did have a go at passing the navy diving breathing test. bob was very very very very happy to show that to me. BoB has a write up in this month's dive or diver mag: I should off re-read that as it warn's people of his pranks ! That's the only dodgy thing ive found about BOB Top bloke i think hope i get a discount if he reads this !

Glad you're having fun Roy.

Scapa is my diving spiritual home, love it, been there five times and going next year for the sixth.
Yes howard as you might of guessed i think it's brilliant even in most weathers you can get a dive in. I find it hard when only few people rave about it i think it's a must for all cold water divers. I have not been to many places but this is 20 times better than red sea in my oppinion of course.

The warning about scallops is localised to Scapa flow itself and not to the surrounding isles, so if you are up here and wanting scallops, check with the restaurant they are using scallops from outside the flow, I know the Ferry Inn is one such place.
On another note, I am still eating scallops I get out of the flow and it hasn't done me MUCH harm:D
Yes i was ok after scallops,crab the other night i guess i'll carry on eating them. The Ferry inn last night loverly steak and I think we will be watching England win 6-0 in there tommrow night

roy

·
Scapa Flow Charter Boat Skipper
784 Posts
Bob luv

If I ever dive scapa, I'm gonna go with Bob too: I'm going to breathe down his neck, just like Roy did.

Mind you, it can be really annoying having a cup of tea thrust in your hand before you have even had a chance to take your dive kit off. He could maybe wait a minute till you're sat down on the bench, at least.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts