YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Scapa flow

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Paul Oliver 
#1 ·
Just to let everyone who gived me advice on scapa i got here after long long journey from Dover weather has been pants but guess what, we have still been diving and getting 8 meters viz . but even weather is getting better .
2 wrecks yesterday scallops,crab,mussel for tea loverly

1st Karlsruhe
2nd Dresden

Dresden i have never been on a ship so big...awesome so far
Thumbs up for the skipper BoB

Halton Charters (01856) 851532: Details of the Boat

#3 ·
Did it in APRIL.....

We were up with Bob from HALTON Charters in APRIL and had excellant time although you look to be getting better viz as ours deteriorated with some high tides .............overall found the battleships being turtle were a bit dull and the cruisers were the dogs nuts for entry and interesting bits .........well and helped by sun giving better viz
Ask Bob about his piece of divers memorabilia the NAVY LUNG TESTER !
Enjoy
db

Bobs favourite questions 'How long to the dive site?' and 'What did you do before you got into this?' 'Are you the only gay in the village?'

#6 ·
We were up with Bob from HALTON Charters in APRIL and had excellant time although you look to be getting better viz as ours deteriorated with some high tides .............overall found the battleships being turtle were a bit dull and the cruisers were the dogs nuts for entry and interesting bits .........well and helped by sun giving better viz
Ask Bob about his piece of divers memorabilia the NAVY LUNG TESTER !
Enjoy
db

i am enjoying all of it even bob's wind up's

Bobs favourite questions 'How long to the dive site?' and 'What did you do before you got into this?' 'Are you the only gay in the village?'
yes viz was 8m on sunday 10-12m this morning on the coln dive and 15m plus on what i think is called a block ship doyle.

Bob's a good laugh, glad to hear that you're having a great time in Scapa. Some of my favourite wrecks were the real shallow one's, personally I thought all the really big wrecks were dull (but then I didn't have forever down there!). Have a great week!

yes great time thanks to the yd'ers who posted about scapa to be honest enjoying it all. Coln is my best wreck so far. scallops,mussels,crab loverly.
borrowed off bob so far: a spade,books,2 DVD's, analyser

off to watch mate fly fishing now good place for a dive club holiday
hope the weather is good for your diving were ever you are it's getting better here sun's shining, sea's calm

#4 ·
Bob's a good laugh, glad to hear that you're having a great time in Scapa. Some of my favourite wrecks were the real shallow one's, personally I thought all the really big wrecks were dull (but then I didn't have forever down there!). Have a great week!

#9 ·
Are the Scallops ok to eat at the moment?

Can't eat anything these days can you. Thanks i'll break the good news to my mate who's digging garden worms in the garden if i don't post i am in hospital !

Bio-toxins warning for Scapa Flow - Orkney Today

J.
Find the swimthrough on the Brummer. It's great. If me and Janos can get through it, anyone can.
I will ask to dive this one. right deffo fishing now mmmmmmm feel a little quezzy now prin: !

#21 · (Edited)
Blimey i did not think the swim throughs were THAT Big :)

I will have to check them out again in August :D

The Koln is also my top wreck, closely followed by the Brummer and Dresden and they will each be getting at least 2 visits in August :)

#11 ·
glad you are having a better time than I did when I went in April.:)

#13 ·
I was up there with Bob last week, weather was a bit cr@p but we still had a fantastic time. Viz was best on the Barrie.

Have lots of fun...

MM

#16 ·
The warning about scallops is localised to Scapa flow itself and not to the surrounding isles, so if you are up here and wanting scallops, check with the restaurant they are using scallops from outside the flow, I know the Ferry Inn is one such place.
On another note, I am still eating scallops I get out of the flow and it hasn't done me MUCH harm:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.