YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t dived in quite a while, October in the red sea and last may in the uk, so I’ve been itching to get back into it. I said to my girlfriend that I was hoping to go for a dive this Sunday, I wasn’t prepared for the response – panic and worry it seems that she‘s terrified of me going diving, worried that something is going to go wrong and it doesn’t seem to matter how much I reassure her that I don’t do anything silly and the people I dive with are all very good and trustworthy, she’s told me that she won’t try to stop me cause she knows how much I love it, but I don’t want her to be sick with worry every time a go, Has anyone had these problems and found a way to overcome them? I don’t want to stop diving, I enjoy it too much but I don’t want put my girlfriend through this.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Show her how much life insurance you have and that she is the beneficiary, or teach her to dive and show her it's not that scary.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had this problem for many years with both my ex and parents…. However, recently its got a lot better it seems that when I qualified as an instructor the people close to be suddenly realised that I actually know what I’m doing and am not going to kill myself!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I haven’t dived in quite a while, October in the red sea and last may in the uk, so I’ve been itching to get back into it. I said to my girlfriend that I was hoping to go for a dive this Sunday, I wasn’t prepared for the response – panic and worry it seems that she‘s terrified of me going diving, worried that something is going to go wrong and it doesn’t seem to matter how much I reassure her that I don’t do anything silly and the people I dive with are all very good and trustworthy, she’s told me that she won’t try to stop me cause she knows how much I love it, but I don’t want her to be sick with worry every time a go, Has anyone had these problems and found a way to overcome them? I don’t want to stop diving, I enjoy it too much but I don’t want put my girlfriend through this.
Persuade her to come along and see all the checks, planning and detail you put into your diving so she'll be reassured you don't just load up, slap a mask on and fall in?
Suggest she has a chat with another fellow diver who she knows and trusts so she can satisfy her concerns by finding out that diving isn't always a sport for suicidal fruitcakes and lethally dangerous?
Let her try it for herself sometime so she can see isn't not so bad?

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
My mother (80) is quite a sensible sort but still phones my up everytime there is an incident somewhere and asks 'was that you!" ....

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Try to explain. Thats all you can do really. Some people worry whatever you try.

My other half is a sensible lady who dives herself, but I know she still worries a bit when I go diving. I do what I can to re-assure her and she knows that I am a methodical, risk-adverse person so not inclined to take risks. I still try to phone her when I am up and safe.

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Try having an affair with her best friend/ *sister*/ mother*/ brother* (* delete as appropriate) and see how she ll be positively encouraging you from then on
Just keep a close eye on your equipment .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Buy a big ass motorbike, park it on the drive and stand outside reving the shit out of it until she comes out, she will soon be asking you 'why dont you go diving this weekend and leave the bike at home'

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
Explain that the best way to remove nitrogen from the body is by sucking it out thro the penis.

·
Wanna Dive Gonna Dive
341 Posts
Give her a good slap and tell her to buck up her ideas......and make sure she's ready to give you a post dive nosh as it's the best way to prevent onset of the bends ;)
CLASSIC (spilt tea all over the keyboard)

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I am actually more worried that SWMBO is totally blasé about my diving and does not worry at all, even if I come home many hours late. (I think that I had better check my equipment again.)

Reactions: 24601

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Explain that the best way to remove nitrogen from the body is by sucking it out thro the penis.
We have a theory that you can concentrate the nitrogen in your testicles then squirt it out in one go.

We call it the "fizzy jizz" theory.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts