YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm looking for ideas for a new Scottish slogan. The winner(Me) gets a bottle of Glengoyne malt from the Glasgow Herald.

Some previous entries;
Scotland-Who swears wins.
Scotland-Land of mist and getting pisht.
Scotland:So good that Sean Connery occasionaly visits.

You get the drift. It's in my Sound of Mull peoples' interest to come up with a winning entry as I'm going to bring the bottle up with me.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please
Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 15 2004,12:03)]I'm looking for ideas for a new Scottish slogan. The winner(Me) gets a bottle of Glengoyne malt from the Glasgow Herald.

Some previous entries;
Scotland-Who swears wins.
Scotland-Land of mist and getting pisht.
Scotland:So good that Sean Connery occasionaly visits.

You get the drift. It's in my SoM peoples interest to come up with a winning entry as I'm going to bring the bottle up with me.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address please
Peter
Scotland so great, even an Englishman claims to be scottish  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Scotchland - an affly haundy thing tae hae!

Scotland - home to Kirks, Kilts and the Glesgae Kiss

Scotland - Pure dead brilliant, ken

Scotland - Cold, wet and....shit, let's move to England

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 15 2004,12:03)]It's in my SoM peoples interest to come up with a winning entry as I'm going to bring the bottle up with me.
<font color='#0000FF'>Personally Peter, I'd say that it's in our interest NOT to help you win if thats the case!  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Jan. 15 2004,12:21)]Scotland - Pure dead brilliant, ken
<font color='#000F22'>Sorry Lou but your mixing your Glasgae and Embra there.

Pure dead brilliant is more of a West Coast thing and Glaswegians never say Ken - meaning think.

But that could mean that you've not only come up with a great slogan but solved the divide between the nation's capital and the soap dodgers from 50 miles away.

Huzzah.

My only contribution would be  -

Scotland I liked it so much I moved from that stinking shitheap called London to come here.

or

If you thought Milton Keynes was bad you've never seen East Kilbride  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

It was on purpose, Gav!  Glad to see you notice the subtlety though.

Only ever lived on the East coast so I had to fit "ken" in somewhere.  There was a particular guy in my uni class from Bo'ness who "kenned" for Scotland.  It took him twice as long to say something purely because of the frequency of "kens" required.  Every sentence had to at least end in ken, but it was preferable if he could shove one in the middle somewhere too.

He even managed the pure genius of "d'ya ken, ken"

Bless him!

Lou

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Bo'ness - if Scotland needed a supository they'd stick it there. A mixture of nice wee house and scary schemes side by side.

There's also a deal of "ken-ing" in Fife and to some extent in East/West Lothian.

However, I've only ever heard one person say "Fandabidozi" once for real and he was from Cumbernauld.

Which brings to mind

Scotland - we brought you the Krankies! - and you kept them.

(I'm told that the Krankies reside in the Midlands of England somewhere.)

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Jan. 15 2004,12:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Jan. 15 2004,12:21)]Scotland - Pure dead brilliant, ken
Pure dead brilliant is more of a West Coast thing and Glaswegians never say Ken - meaning think.
How long did you live in Glasgow? and who told you "ken" means "think".

"A think a ken whit am talkin about, a woz broughit up ther, even if a huv moovd a wawe - know whit a meen like big man?"

I would explain the subtulties of where each piece of this comes from, even if it's not spelt right, but I'm not going to get that drawn in.

Peter, English or not, your living every Englishman's dream, good luck to you mate, wish it was me again.

Jimmy, fae Killy, Glesgi, Wishi, an a few others along the way.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Gav,
    "Ken" means know, not think, as in "D'ye ken whit a mean" and "Ah dinnae ken". Still it's a bit more romantic than "Knaa ah mean mucker" or "Naw pal".

Lou is the leader so far with Scotchland!
Peter

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, I've only ever heard one person say "Fandabidozi" once for real and he was from Cumbernauld.
Wisnae a wee felli called "Baz" wizit?

If so, ah ken um tae and um almost sure thit he originally came fae fife, makin' um a feckin fifer!

Ken is also part of Falkirk colloquialisms, which is nion central, so most definatley not a east coast thing!

Peter, what about this for the slogan?

Support Scotlands smallest state; Englandshire

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Frogman @ Jan. 15 2004,13:53)]Support Scotlands smallest state; Englandshire
"Support Scotland's rarest state, sobriety"  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Worked in Glasgow for the last three years and mae pals fae Glasgow never use Ken, there must be odd pockets there tho'

Falkirk is just odd. Although has some of the finest Jakies in Scotland for humour purposes.

Got to be careful - the Missus was born in Falkirk and as she points out - It's better to meddle with the Devil than with a Falkirk Bairn.

Yes, and sorry, Ken does mean Know, I don't know what came over my brain whilst typing earlier.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

"D'ye Ken John Peel: A favourite ENGLISH hunting song, dating from shortly before the middle of the l9th century. The hero, John Peel, was a Cumberland farmer, who kept a pack of fox hounds. The words of the song are by John Woodcock Graves, a fellow Cumbrian."

·
Registered
108 Posts
Imported post

An Englishman was being tried for being drunk and disorderly. The judge asked him where he had bought the whisky.
" But I didn't buy it, Your Honor," said the Englishman. " A Scotsman gave it to me."
"Fourteen days for perjury." said the judge.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

They use "ken" in Angus too, so it is obviously further spread than we ever knew

In fact, when I first started working in Forfar it was about the only word i understood when the factory folk started on!  Boy, did I get the p*ss ripped out of me......

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Jan. 15 2004,14:18)]"D'ye Ken John Peel: A favourite ENGLISH hunting song, dating from shortly before the middle of the l9th century. The hero, John Peel, was a Cumberland farmer, who kept a pack of fox hounds. The words of the song are by John Woodcock Graves, a fellow Cumbrian."
nowt wrang wid cumbria john  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Some much opportunity; so little time! Yes, some very rich targets here old chap. I've only got a few minutes, so have a bag of these, Peter, and see what you think:

Scotland: Get it up ye! Sideways!

Scotland: Edinburgh and Glasgow: Half-rice-Half-chips?

Scotland: Better Ned than Dead!

[Variations on a theme]:

Scotland: Where even the Foie Gras is Deep Fried!

Scotland: Where the clothes are tie-dyed and the caviar deep-fried!

Scotland: 'Would you like salt, vinegar AND Private Health Care with that Deep Fried Everything sir?

Scotland: Boozers, Schmoozers and Losers!

Scotland: "Checking the Stats at Clatty-Pats!"

Scotland: More Hog than Manay

Scotland: "Burns yer arse all this poetry lark, but..."

Scotland: We suck less!

Scotland: I think therefore I am; You drink therefore you're a bam!

Scotland: Beirut with all the goods bits removed!

Scotland: Get well oiled in Aberdeen

Scotland: More Nat King per mile than Natalie's Dad!

Scotland: I went there once, and it was shut!

Scotland: It's the Nads! Just ask mi Dad!

Scotland: We're not Scotch: that's the drink, you dickhead!

Scotland: Aye, we've one or two wrecks!

Scotland: Excuse me, James, but at whom might you think you are looking? [Trad Arr: derived from the vernacular]

Scotland: The Krankies? Aye, course we knew them when they were a hardcore S&M act!

Scotland: Of course, you English still think 'James Hunt' is a racing car driver!

Scotland: Aye, very good.

Scotland: We don't want to yer toursim; now kindly fuck off......

Scotland: Get fired-in to it!

Scotland: Aye...yes...aye...yes......look! It's fuckin whisky! Stop eulogising it and just fuckin drink it!

Scotland: Sorry, I think you misheard me: when I said you were a 'doss c*nt', it didnay mean I liked ye!

Scotland: We're pure gash at footbaw, by the way.

Scotland: Perhaps our gene-pool needs a little chlorine?

Scotland: Gonni stop doon that??

Scotland: I didnay say "I'm goin fer some 'brekkie'": I said, "I'm goin fer some 'Buckie'!"

Scotland: I didnay say "We're at home to Sweden the night": I said, "You're doon my fuckin heed in the night!"

Scotland: I didnay say " I don't like Papists": I said, "I'm sweating like a rapist!"

Scotland: I didnay say "It was panned by the critics!": I said, "He was gubbed by the Particks!"

Just one or two be going with! Let me see what else I can muster for your hard-earnt bucket of Irn Bru!

Happy Days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts