YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Anywhere I can find this info out as it might be getting considered in the future?

Peter

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

What is the CMAS star rating for your current level?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Dunno. International Megastar probably. I honestly couldn't tell you.

Peter

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Peter (note no longer using Pete), this might help, failing that why not get in touch with Bsac direct through Bsac.org website
<a href="http://www.bsac.org/techserv/salt1.htm

Matt

(Edited" target="_blank">http://www.bsac.org/techserv/salt1.htm

Matt

(Edited</a> by MATTBIN at 8:14 pm on Feb. 16, 2003)

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

What is your current certification?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks people, I had a wee look at that link Matt and I would be a dive leader. So to answer your question Mr Moll, Somewhere between two star and three star.

Peter .With an R, well done Matt8o)

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

No such thing as far as I can see, you must be a master diver, that is a two star, when you pass your next higher cert you will be a three star, it seems clear to me.

I did not realise that BSAC had such an inflated opinion of their certifications, it is funny to see what they think is equivalent to their Dive leader cert. It also shows that they have not read up on the certifications that they have then made a crossover cert for, from memory a NAUI advanced SCUBA diver is a 'second level' cert, and rescue training is carried out at all levels of NAUI training, but only given Ocean diver crossover status, while a NAUI Rescue diver that can be done after certification as a SCUBA diver, and is a speciality that includes diving only to facilitate the rescue diving, is crossed over as Sport diver, it begs the question who drew these up.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

The somewhere in between comes from looking at it as CMAS 2 star is a sport diver, then there is no mention of CMAS in the dive leader bit and CMAS 3star is in the advanced diver bit. So as BSAC goes I'm in between CMAS two star and three star. But I'm not CMAS anyway, I was only looking for the SSAC-BSAC crossover thingumy-jig.  

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

Thats because a dive leader is a CMAS two star

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from darthmoll on 7:55 pm on Feb. 17, 2003
No such thing as far as I can see, you must be a master diver, that is a two star, when you pass your next higher cert you will be a three star, it seems clear to me.
<span =''>

Just as an off topic point. SSAC's next cert is a first class diver which out of a membership of about 3500 there is only about a dozen of, if even that many. For years there was a cock-up in the structure of passing it and no-one noticed and for this reason no-one passed. I'll chase the reason up on A.N.Other forum.

Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Technically, BSAC qualifications don't have a CMAS rating anymore as BSAC and CMAS parted company back in the late 90s.  I always felt that the CMAS two star rating for DL was completely underating the qualification anyway.
Chee-az
Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Steve

BSAC are kind of back in the CMAS fold again - kinda.

At the Diving Officers Conference Phil Harrison got the CMAS chairman on stage and a rep from SAA and announced that BSAC Qual cards are now available again with the CMAS level / qual on one side and the BSAC / SAA badges and qual on the other.

So although BSAC are still unhappy with CMAS for breaking their own constitution, as they and SAA are very compatable with standards the affiliation works.

Hope that helps,

Paul Oliver
BSAC Advanced Diver / CMAS 3 Star Diver
BSAC OWI / CMAS 2 Star Instructor
First Class spotter.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Chee-az for that Paul, I wasn't aware of our "re-entry".

It used to bug me that most scientific diving requires a CMAS 3star qual, which for us BSAC wallahs meant a lot more time going thru all the SDCs, I almost did the PADI DM course just for the sake of the CMAS 3* requirement.

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

No it doesn't Steve. The words are 3* or equivalent. One of the big problems in writing the advice notes ( and the UNESCO ones, and the European Scientific Diver Standards, etc) was to make them neutral to any organisation. The mention of CMAS was simply to give an idea of experience required.

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Steve

I know where you are comeing from on that. I was a DL for 7 years with no interest in doing AD as i felt the SDC's were a rip off and pointless, afterall a DL can do all BSAC diving, so why go further?

I also had no interest in instructing, i was a profesional weapons and tactics instructor, why teach in your own time?

But i like my club and wanted to do more diving, best way to do more is to organise it so i got the qualifications to run it safeley (On Paper). Now i've been spamed to do DO, but i enjoy it.

Treasurers a bit pissed with me for upgradeing all the safety kit though, but what the ####.

Hey were running a seasearch course next month, but only so i can identify what i'm eating, or is that the wrong attitude?

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Ahem...Tactfully  circumventing Paul's  attempt to wind me up...
Yes Phill I realise it is 3* equivalent, the post was typed in a bit of a rush, but the issue is/was the same, I couldn't have done (& didn't) any scientific diving in Europe with my DL qual givin its 2* equivalency. Yet in the USA all NOAA require is that you complete a theory exam (in impersial measure , bummer...) and do a check out dive and off you go. :biggrin:
Regards
Steve

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Steve

I thought that the CMAS cards were already to issue but from reading (In Dive or on the BSAC forum), it appears that although the agreement is in place the actual issueing has not started yet. No-doubt a minor technical issue that will drag on a while.

Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts