YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Well? Were you?

• I was in the Cubs and/or Scouts.

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • I was in the Brownies and/or Girl Guides.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • No, not in either.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • In retrospect, would have liked to have been in either.

Votes: 2 3.8%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During Country File on Sunday there was an article about the Scouts and mention was made of the easily misunderstood title of the Scouting for Boys handbook. I don't doubt many a shirt lifting paedophile has been greatly disappointed when the post arrived!

Naturally, this (the item about scouting :)) brought back fond memories of my few years in the Scouts which I don't actually remember leaving which is a bit disconcerting. Why did I stop going? Even ending up with 5 stitches in my lip and a large scald on my inner forearm after one camp did not dull my enthusiasm.

Anyway, if you were asked were you in the Cubs, Scouts, Brownies or the Girl Guides what would you say? I would say - no, yes, it's illegal at that age and 'I wish'. Sadly for me 'girls' and 'in' didn't occur until I was 17 or 18.

Apparently, girls are now allowed to be Scouts so does that mean the Girl Guides movement is finished.

Anyway, it was a marvellous institution, great fun and I still have my old Scouts' knife although, sadly, my woggle is long gone!

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
I join then Cubs when I was eight and went through the lot Scouts, Venture Scouts, and then became a leader. I finally packed it in when I was 24, but I'm know looking forward to getting involved again when my son is old enough to join the beavers 5 I think it is.
Watching Mountain last night really made me get itchy feet, we used to go to all those places, my favourite was Crib Goch the ridge leading to Snowdon.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I join then Cubs when I was eight and went through the lot Scouts, Venture Scouts, and then became a leader. I finally packed it in when I was 24, but I'm know looking forward to getting involved again when my son is old enough to join the beavers 5 I think it is.
Watching Mountain last night really made me get itchy feet, we used to go to all those places, my favourite was Crib Goch the ridge leading to Snowdon.
Isn't 5 a bit young to be getting into Beavers? Still, 'good on 'im', you must be very proud, which is more than he'll be at 5 years old, I suspect? :teeth:

Seriously, I have not heard of the Beavers before.

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Isn't 5 a bit young to be getting into Beavers? Still, 'good on 'im', you must be very proud, which is more than he'll be at 5 years old, I suspect? :teeth:

Seriously, I have not heard of the Beavers before.
They have recently changed the aged groupings, it used to be Beavers 5 -8, Cubs 8 - 11, Scouts 11 - 16, Ventures 16 - 20. One of the main reasons for changing it was so that you don't have under 18's in the same group as over 18,s. Somthing about underage drinking, spoil sports.
It's now The Scout Association : Official UK Website » Home

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your Poll doesn't allow me to have been in Brownies, Guides and Scouts! :)

I joined brownies and went from there to guides but I was never a very girly girl and I think the evening that we had a cake icing competition was the final straw! I left and joined a scout group instead where I got to make things out of wood, set light to stuff and run around fields in the dark.

To be honest that didn't last all that long either because there were only 2 girls in the pack and we always won any of the 'british bulldog' type games because at the age of 13/14 the boys were to scared to touch us! We also couldn't go on any of the camping of overnight trips because there wasn't a female group leader to go with us.

The whole thing wasn't fantastic in my view but I think that was more to do with the specific groups I was involved with than the movement as a whole.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your Poll doesn't allow me to have been in Brownies, Guides and Scouts! :)
Well, when I was in the Scouts and the world was run properly girls weren't allowed! :)

To be honest that didn't last all that long either because there were only 2 girls in the pack and we always won any of the 'british bulldog' type games because at the age of 13/14 the boys were to scared to touch us!
And still are, well, this one, anyway. I mean, if you lot changed colour or waved a flag (that we could understand) when it is OK to touch.

The whole thing wasn't fantastic in my view but I think that was more to do with the specific groups I was involved with than the movement as a whole.
I imagine it's the same for everyone. You have the common interest, you meet some people and then you enjoy yourself. Perhaps the answer to most of the disaffected youth problem is to be found with a lack of interests?

Do girls have a woggle too or is it just the boys?

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Was in the cubs briefly, then went to boarding schools that had CCF instead. So whilst my mates at home were learning how to tie knots and stuff, I was running around fields with a .303 in hand!! :)

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts
I was in the Cubs, Scouts and Venture Scouts. As a scout I was luck that the wife of our tropp leader was a Guide Leader so we went camping with the Guides every year. The term "Camp Romance" had a somewhat more innocent explanation back then.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
They have recently changed the aged groupings, it used to be Beavers 5 -8, Cubs 8 - 11, Scouts 11 - 16, Ventures 16 - 20. One of the main reasons for changing it was so that you don't have under 18's in the same group as over 18,s. Somthing about underage drinking, spoil sports.
It's now The Scout Association : Official UK Website » Home
We were the only Venture unit in our district that travelled with it's own bar. None of this cans malarkey, we are talking ales and pumps! :D

Oh those were the days. :)

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I was banned from ever going near Cubs, let alone joining.

I hung around there one Summers evening as my mates were members. There was a wasps nest in a hole in the bank next to the village hall, so being a bit bored, I wedged a big pebble in there, completely blocked it and went off to play by the canal. Came back an hour or so later to find half the wasps in the north of England, swarming in a seething great yellow & black mass around the blocked entrance, so naturally I hoiked a big rock at them.

Unusually (as I was and still am a girlie thrower), it landed right in the middle of them, so half of them took off and chased me, stinging me half a dozen times around the face and up my shorts and inside my T shirt, which bloody 'urt.

The other half took off in the opposite direction and flew in through the open double doors of the village hall. (it was a warm night) and stung most of the cubs and cubscout leaders inside. They were further stung as they ran out through the fire doors which opened within a couple of yards of the nest. The screams were quite piteous.

There was a bit of a fuss after that and I'm surprised no one here has heard about it.

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
We were the only Venture unit in our district that travelled with it's own bar. None of this cans malarkey, we are talking ales and pumps! :D

Oh those were the days. :)
Respect! I'd green you but I have to spread the love. Mind you we did a cash & carry mebership so we could get cheap beer:)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Started as a leaders kid, when I was old enough I became a cub, then a scout, then a venture scout, then a cub leader...

Still a warranted leader in the group.

So yes, have had some involvement (just got 10 year service award as a leader!).

Danny

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I was kicked out of the scouts aged 13 the leader gave me his car keys to get the football out he came out to find me doing donuts round the field in his shiny capri :embarassed:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was kicked out of the scouts aged 13 the leader gave me his car keys to get the football out he came out to find me doing donuts round the field in his shiny capri :embarassed:
haha, we did a similar thing at school, the teacher gave us he keys to the minibus whillst she waited for the the other group.

We moved it to the other side of the car park.

At first the look on her face was priceless! Followed by a look that made us all s**t ourselves.

Was in cubs, but couldn't continue to scouts as it clashed with rugby training. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.