YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am writing a java midlet to perform various calculations which should run on all Java compatible phones.

Currently it only does one thing:-
You enter a depth and select a PPO of 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6.
It tells you the restrictions for that PPO (as per TDI Basic Nitrox).
It tells you the maximum EAN that can be used.
It shows a table of all EAN from 21 up to the maximum and the corresponding EAD.

I am just tidying it up a little and the first version will probably be ready today or tomorrow.

I would like to judge the interest in this software.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

The first version is now complete.

If you would like to test it them please email me at:-
[email protected]

I will be adding another menu where you select the EANx you have and a PPO and it will state the maximum depth. It will then give a list of depths and their corresponding EAD and PPO.

After that I am open to suggestions as to what other calculations you want.

NOTE: The software comes as a .zip file which you need to extract to get scuba.jar and scuba.jad.
You then need to install these files. Using nokia datasuite you choose to install an application and select either file and it installs it.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>forgive me if I am being thick - is there an easy way of telling if my phone is Java compatible?  I have a Nokia 6310i which I think I recall could have java games downloaded to it but the screen is nothing like your screendumps above?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

The simplest way is to go to the Nokia Website and choose your phone from the drop down list on the right.

In your case one of the key features is list as "Downloadable Java applications" so it should work fine on your phone.

The look of the application varies a little between phones. The screenshote are from the generic phone emulator running on a PC. On phones with a lower screen resolution the text is bigger while on my 6600 (Series 60 phone) the text is very small due to the larger screen size.
The bottom right soft key will normally be 'Back' on nokia phones and the bottom left will be 'Ok' or 'Options' with a menu showing Exit, Ok, Edit etc... depending on the model of the phone. The application basically works the same way on all phones though.

EDIT: See Nokia's List of Java Phones. This should be an almost complete list. Newer phones (such as the 6600) are not on there so if  your model is fairly new then check it specifically.

A lot of other manuafacturers phones also support java and my software is written for all phones not just Nokia.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Version 1.00 has now been released. It can be downloaded from the Scuba Calculations Website.

I would welcome any suggestions for extra features.

I have added a paypal donation button. This is for anyone coming across the page and finding the application usefull. I will be passing all donations over to the running of the forum. If people here find it usefull and use it a lot I would suggest making a donation to the running of the forum directly as that way paypal don't take their cut.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I wonder how it'll work on my 9210?  It say's it's java-enabled, but the screen is dofferent...

I'm interested in this sort of thing.  My cunning plan is to link a PDA to a depth guage and bodge it to a dive program.  Add a whiff of GPS for the surface stuff, voice output for the alerts, MP3 for the deco hangs, and I think that just about describes the perfect wet computer.  

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Imported post

Is this programme compatible with any other phone manufacturer?

Specifically, Samsung, if so how do you go about gettin it on the phone?

Sorry if this is a thick question, just never done that type of thing before (i've still got a 3310)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Mdemon - Yes it will work on the 9210. The full screen width will be used.

gityerkneedahn - The software is written for all Java (J2ME) phones so it should work fine on other makes other than Nokia. The version you can download from my website needs to be copied to the the phone via a direct link between the phone and the computer such as IR/Cable/Bluetooth. It is mainly SonyErricsson and Nokia who provide this software with handsets.

I am working on getting the application put on www.handango.com which means you can download and install the software via WAP/GPRS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Version 1.01 is now available with a minor fix to the PPO 1.5 description. A major change is a switch in the development system so that the application is now compatible with many more phones. Version history and downloads are avaible HERE.
There is also a link to the Handango site which should allow the downloading of the application via WAP. I am still trying to figure out how to do that though

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Gareth
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If your phone model or carrier is not listed, Handango does not support it at this time. You must be a U.S resident to purchase ringtones and phone graphics from Handango.
Does that means it can't be downloaded via WAP?
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Thats the question I have asked. It sais you must be a US citizen to purchase ringtones and graphics but of course you are actually downloading an application.
It is possible they send these via a text message but some Java apps can be over 100K which is too large.
I can't see why they would be so restrictive when it is easy to support WAP securely especially when they charge 30% comission on sales.

I sent them an email yesterday so I should hear back today from them. I'll let you know what they say. In the meantime I will look around for a free WAP site which allows hosting of Java apps (I have used tagtag.com but they dont support java).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

I have added a WAP capability to my server at home so the software can now be installed 'over the air' by visiting the following WAP site on your phone:-

http://home.gbsecurity.com/wap/

I tested it on my phone and it installed fine on the second attempt. The first one appered to stop downloading so I canceled and started again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts