YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

'bout time I got myself on here!

Now I now this is going to get mixed reviews, but I am after some pro's and con's for each set. Apologies if this has been done to death, but I just can't make up my mind, and I don't want to buy the wrong thing!

I am about to buy my first decent set of regs,and I haven't been able to test either so I can't judge myself.

I aim to do quite a lot of UK diving all year round, both inland and coastal, (but probably not a lot of diving abroad after the stork delivers the young 'un) but I can't see me going deeper than 35M for quite a while, though there is a liklyhood that I will go to Nitrox within the next year once I am comfortable with my skills etc. BTW, only done 23 dives since OW last year though I'm doing my AOW now.

So, the choices are I see it are:

Scubapro MK25 + S550, R290 octo and console - got it down to £400
Apeks TX100 (1st & 2nd), TX40 octo and console - about £325

Now, Ok, the SP kit is very reliable stuff, but worth the cash?. Is it the best option to go for for all year round diving -especially cold water?  And why are the Apeks regs so much cheaper?

Are they suitable for Nitrox?

if you can think of a different option, please let me know. It is the last  bit of Expensive kit that I need now, but of course I need to get it right!

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Steve

Nice to see that you've dragged yer aris over from UKDivers.. mate you cannot go wrong with either brand, but bang for buck you cannot beat the Apeks.. I'm currently running two Tx100's and I love em to death.

HTH
Willo

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Steve

Go for the Apeks and you won't regret it.  Last time I checked a Scubapro 1st was about 3x the price of an Apeks DS4.  You won't notice any difference between the Scubapro and Apeks in terms of breathing them but the Apeks have other advantages over the Scubapro.

All regs. are "suitable for nitrox", don't let anybody tell you any different!

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

The Mk 25 scuba pro is a good reg, I've got one and I like it.
The Apex 100 is good, I've tried it.
I honestly wonder if any of the top of the line Apex first stages are any better at providing air than the DS4,(They all use the same service kit)  and I find the the Apex ATX 40 is just as good in the mouth as the Mk 25/550.  If I was equipping single cylinder and I had the money, I'd buy 2 TX or ATX 40's and a pony and I wouldn't bother with a octo. If I had a pony I'd still buy the ATX and put the savings towards a decent umbilical torch.  Looking back I wouldn't waste money on computers, go faster plastic fins, d4 or d8 torches, ankle weights, hose protectors, strobe lights, air 2's or auto airs and I'd re consider buying a stab jacket and get a back plate and wing. I'd also use heavy duty marigolds instead of £20+ dive gloves.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Steve,
I have the apeks ATX 50 and ATX 40 octo, and I love them. However some people prefer the TX series, they have a slightly poorer hose routing but apparently the exhaust T is quite a lot larger.

Simon A

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>most regs on the market will take nitrox to 40%
i have a tx 50 nitrox wich is good but nowere near as good as mt x-stremes but a lot better than my mk20 r380s

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>i've a tx 100 and it's brilliant. i dive all year round in the lakes down to 40 odd metres and never had a problem with it.
(well not had a problem with the free one apeks gave me
to replace the original one that tried to kill me
but that's a different story
)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

I use a TX 100 and TX 50 never had any problems..  Used it in cold water to -1..  I will be at stoney on the YD gig on the 21st Feb you are welcome to try them

Sean

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Yep,

I agree with everything said, I started with the older version of the SP and then went onto Apeks when I had a go at some and they are a good breath.

Save the £75

James

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Try upgrading from the Scubapro S550 to S600 as your main regulator.
I have been using one for two years, wonderful to breath through

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hmmm, TX100 seems to get the vote. I assume that this 1st and 2nd is fine for cold water - can't seem to find much anywhere about it. And why is the nitrox version £20 more?

Its just, well, GREEN isn't it? Or is there more to it than that?

Maybe I should get into the Green paint business!!!

Well, unless anyone has any other suggestions (or answers to the above) - Thanks!

Steve

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Steve,
"standard" Apex reg's are good for nitrox up to 40%(it states this in the manual).
AFAIK The nitrox Reg's have seals and lubricants that are compatable with higher partial presure's of Oxygen. However as far as I know you can save the money on the regs, and then when you want to go to more than EANx40 have the reg's serviced and made suitable for Oxygen use (anyone actualy done this and know how much it costs?).

Simon A
.... Just Another Simon....
(do you know who I am yet?)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Standard Apeks regs come 100% clean and are good for pure Oxygen - the "only 40%" bit is just to cover their arses if the regs get abused.

I have the TX100 and a TX40 on a DS4. They both perform exactly the same (which is why I breathe the 40 and have the 100 as backup) but I actually dislike the hose routing on the TX100 1st stage. By making it slant, they ensure that it's always pointing the wrong way for one hose on my twinset. With hindsight I'd have gone for TX50 and TX40 DVs and two DS4s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts