YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi,

I'm at the very early stages of looking at the possibility of moving up from my 12l to twin 7's or even twin 12's. The first thing I need to find out is whether my BCD can accommodate this. I've tried to call Scubapro but to no avail. Does anyone have any idea if this is the case?

Many thanks,

Ian

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Hi bud,
You can use twins on the glide, you need a Bibo(?) kit which is Steel bands and threaded posts to fit through the holes on your backplate fixed on the inside by a wingnut affair. you can also fit a steel or ali backplate for more stability. On the inside of the BC, you should find the lift capacity for your BC make sure this fits with the twinset you want to use. I did not use twins with my glide2000 but i know people who did, I was chatting to darren barker (YD'er) the other day and he uses twins with his Glide, try and chat to him as he has everyday experience of what you want to know. best of luck, JOHN

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi John,

Thanks very much for your advice. Now that I know it can be done, will investigate further. Will also try to get hold of Darren and seek his advice.

Kind regards,

Ian

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I used to do it, but moved on to backplate and wing a while ago.

It's not really got enough lift for much more than twin 7s, to be honest. I put twin 12s on it once and it was barely floating at the surface. Not good. You could probably get away with twin 10s if you're diving with very little extra gear and no stages, but you could also probably get enough money from the sale of a BCD like that to buy a wing setup to do this sort of diving. Just to give you another option...

Feel free to get in touch offline, I used to use S/S bands with mine, worked for a couple of seasons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Ian,

I use twin 12s with my Glide 2000 simply because I haven't got around to buying a wing yet which i'm sure would be preferable to using a BCD for the job. However, to be honest I don't suffer the same problem that Digger did, i've always had plenty of lift, this may be because my Glide is an X/L size which has more lift than the smaller sizes(s=27,m=34,l=36,xl=40lbs).

As John pointed out, if you choose to use your Glide then you'll need a Scubapro Bibo Kit, this will set you back £40 and I know Kent Diving stock them. They also sell twin manifolded 12s at a very good price too!

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts