·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
71 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Nice pics cheers for sharing them. I.ll be there end of may. What camera did you use?

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Medusa @ April 17 2004,14:40)]Nice pics cheers for sharing them. I.ll be there end of may. What camera did you use?
Olympus C-5050Z, PT-015 housing and Inon Wide Angle Lens.

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

it was about 6m, as you say a bit strange with it being so sterile - good fun for a swim around, but I still really enjoyed doing the JEL after. My buddy described the day as 'a swim around an adventure playground, followed by a proper wreck dive.'

And heres a couple of photo's from the JEL just to prove she's still an excellent dive even with the young upstart just next door!  

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ April 17 2004,17:31)]Nice gallery as well !
Stoney looks like fun , is it easy to find the wrecks !
Will have to pay a visit me thinks  
Ta

Most of the stuff is on the 6m shelf and is easy to find - you can see the 'submarine' from the terrace outside the pub.

As for the Stanegarth, there's a buoy on her so it's pretty easy to get to - failing that, find out where the helicopter is, visit that then follow the cliff to your left (as you're looking out into the quarry) until you find the anchor chain.

It's good if the weather's bad, but I'd rather be doing some real diving (hang on, I just did the Scylla  
)

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Excellent pics - love the JEL color shot !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>WOW Top Pics  
Dived the scylla yesterday  Fantastic Dive
Just wish we took our camera

·
Registered
159 Posts
Imported post

Went there last week.
Your vis looks better than mine, though.
I use C5050Z and housing, so why are your piccies so much clearer than mine???

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sjrw @ April 18 2004,10:56)]I use C5050Z and housing, so why are your piccies so much clearer than mine???
I suspect this lens makes all the difference.

It lets you get a lot closer, which gets rid of the murkiness - the 2nd picture of mine with the loudspeaker control, the lens would have been about 4-5cm away from the control unit.

The other thing I'd recommend is working out the white balance - you can get the camera to compensate for the loss of colour by pointing it at something white underwater (for example the hull of the Scylla
) and pressing a couple of buttons - have a look at p.136 in the C5050z reference manual.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Great Pics. Hoping to dive the new wreck early in May. Wonder when the jerks will start ripping off some of the control panels we saw in the photos ?  If they are stupid enough to hack out fuselage panels on the helicopter at Stoney, god know what they will do to this.

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L. @ April 18 2004,13:18)]Great Pics. Hoping to dive the new wreck early in May. Wonder when the jerks will start ripping off some of the control panels we saw in the photos ?  If they are stupid enough to hack out fuselage panels on the helicopter at Stoney, god know what they will do to this.
Yeah, know what you mean - I don't know if it's a bloke thing but me and buddy couldn't resist flicking the switchs or having a twiddle with the knobs  
as we went by.

One guy on the boat was so chuffed because he'd managed to 'salvage' a bath plug !!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Imported post

I can see I'm going to have to save up my pennies
 to get a lens like that.
Still, it will go in my 015 housing though. So that's reassuring.
5cm eh...
That's not very far...
Does that mean I am stuck with v. wide angle for the whole dive, or does it go on the outside.

I know what you mean... I too am a flicker and twiddler, but I wouldn't dream of stripping bits off.

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sjrw @ April 18 2004,14:59)]I can see I'm going to have to save up my pennies
 to get a lens like that.
Still, it will go in my 015 housing though. So that's reassuring.
5cm eh...
That's not very far...
Does that mean I am stuck with v. wide angle for the whole dive, or does it go on the outside.

I know what you mean... I too am a flicker and twiddler, but I wouldn't dream of stripping bits off.
Yup - I've been told that in the UK it goes for about £300, twice as much as the housing - scary! However, I was recommended a place in Japan and got it for £190 including postage, duty and vat - and it was here in 4 days.

The lens screws onto the outside of the housing so you can take it off underwater if you want.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sjrw @ April 18 2004,14:59)]Does that mean I am stuck with v. wide angle for the whole dive, or does it go on the outside.
Nope the lens is a wet lens and should be put on under water.  You can take it off if needs be and just the camera lens on its on.

Great photos.  Just goes to show the difference a WAL can make.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imported post

great pics god to see them
thinking of going down in july can anyone recommend a good dive boat etc

·
Registered
159 Posts
Imported post

Cee King.

Diving Plymouth with Cee King and  the Alexander guest house.

He also runs diver friendly accomodation at a very reasonable price as well.
You get up and have breakfast at a civilised time, (I am told chris even cooks it sometimes)
then go down to Queen Anne's Battery and on the boat for the best part of the day.
Packed lunch £3, hot soup provided post dive.
Good skipper - knows all the wrecks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts