Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Compare this image

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

with this one. The photo was taken with the old MX-5. It took me only a couple of minutes to clean it up, using a Mac program called Graphic converter.
PS Yes, I'm sure a separate strobe would eliminate a lot of your backscatter.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

John, how exactly do you do that with Graphic Converter? I've got the program but don't really know how to use it, so some tips on your "clean up" routine would be very useful!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Open the file with Graphic Converter and you should see a panel of tools on the right side of the image. Among them is a dropper. Double click on it and you can then "suck up" a drop of colour from somewhere close to the white spot. Now click on the pen/paintbtush and fill in the white spot with the colour you just sucked up by moving the pen/paintbrush back and forth. If it's a big white spot, you may need to repeat the whole process several times. If the colour is too pale, try taking a drop of deeper colour from somewhere else and painting over the pale area. Be careful not too choose too dark a colour to start with, though, as it's easier to darken a pale spot than lighten one that is too dark. I believe the tools in Photoshop and other image processing programs are similar.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Thanks John. I think I will buy the strobe and the macro lens to take away with me. Who knows, might even get a couple of photos worth putting on here?!

All the best,

Ian

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Use the close-up lens and get close to the subject (40-50 cm) whenever you can. You'll find that backscatter is then much less of a problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Will do. Thanks.
Any suggestions as to what speed film I should use. Have been using 400 due to darker, murkyish uk waters, but as Malta should hopefully be clearer, was thinking of using faster 100 film?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I tend to cover the flash on my MX5 with my finger.  This reduces backscatter on most occasions.  However, you need good natural light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts