YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Had the bad luck of seeing my UKSunlightD4 Torch come to bits as the lens bezel and front spiraled off into the depths as I leapt off the boat to dive the Hispania on the last YD Mull Trip.

I was basically resigned to the fact that that was its final demise it having met a watery end and was unlikely to see it or the bits again.  Strangely enough after the dive when I was back on the boat, several members of the team produced most of the parts(  BIG THANKYOU) that they had found whilst exploring the wreck. So I was re united left with the waterlogged battery,Reflector with bulbs. The casing containing the switch I still had, which was still dangling from my bcd.
On the journey back on the boat I rinsed the battery pack out in fresh water and slowly dried the pack and bits out back at the dive centre. I tried the bulbs & reflector on the pack, and really couldn't believe "it worked" not bad considering it had 30mins at 20m plus in the Sea, but still I was without the bezel and lens.

Once home, e mailed Sea and Sea the importers to see if there was a possibility I could order the missing bit.  
They replied same day confirming part number price and the list of the local dealers. First local dive shop I rang got a rather negative response ie as in they take months to get hold of and I was going to have a nightmare getting the part.
Second shop, confirmed parts no problem and they could order it, without wanting a deposit they would ring me when it arrived in 7-10days.

True to their word it arrived at the shop within 10days.
Torch now re assembled good as new.
I'm impressed three things, First a crackin torch for having survived the immersion, Second top marks to Sea and Sea for excellent customer service and thirdly to Fins Dive Centre in Preston Lancs for ordering it and sourcing it with the minimum of fuss Top Marks

Tony K 

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have also had good results from Sea & Sea concerning a UKC8. I had managed to over tighten and crack the bezal and on two occasions the torch flooded (after the first I hadn't noticed so it was a right mess), so I sent it back thru my LDS. Back it came within the week all repaired with a new bezal, lamp, reflecter and contact pad, and, at no charge
.Result.
Dave.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've also had good service from Sea & Sea, needed a battery for my old puta, phoned them up , they had one but were supposed to kmake me go via a retailer, gave them my CC number and had it the next day
Excellent!
Steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I didn't fair so well with them.  I sent a suit back it was not dry.  They sent it back and it was still not dry and though I wrote to them complaining they have never replied.  As far as I'm concerned they are just to far away to shake by the throat.  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I bought a UKD8R from the SIDS and flooded it within 2-3 months. I sent it back to Sea + Sea with a letter trying to deny all knowledge on how or why it flooded. A few days later I recieved a 'phone call telling me it was "user error", which I knew anyway and had just tried to chance my arm. They replaced the reflector, P.C.B, bulbs and cleaned/repaired the battery F.O.C. then sent it back up to me within 3 weeks. Top stuff!!!!

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

I had great service from sea and sea to. After I flooded a D4  torch the technician patiently went through how to re-solder the battery connections back together over the phone. Saving me the postage costs.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

In order to ensure Sea & Sea have a sore back from the patting, I too had good service from them.

I ordered two small pieces for my FFM - due to the fact that the manufacturers were shut for summer hols in Italy they gave me the bits FOC when they arrived because of the delay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts