YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
Shame it's 200mtrs down, I'm on holiday there in May . . . . . I wonder if I can increase the depth limit on my holiday insurance :D

ColinM

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
Is that depth a fact? I know that there are some stupid deep depths in the area but just hoping your wrong!
The cliffs at Thira are 300mtrs high, and as it's the volcano's crater, I can imagine they plummet down quite a way.

I'll enquire with the dive centres when i get out there what the possilities are to dive it.

ColinM

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
The cliffs at Thira are 300mtrs high, and as it's the volcano's crater, I can imagine they plummet down quite a way.

I'll enquire with the dive centres when i get out there what the possilities are to dive it.

ColinM
Whan are you going Colin? I went in 2005 and loved Santorini. I'd definitely go back again and was in the process of arranging it myself when a few other dive holidays and my sister's wedding postponed my plans.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
We're going early May for a week to Perissa, as it was so cheap I couldn't resist!

ColinM
That's where we went. Dived with Santorini Dive Center. It was quite cold even in July so I'd take a 5mm at least.

Check out the Saganaki - prawn, tomato and feta stew - in a little place called (if my memory serves me correct) God's Kitchen down a little side street.

Helen xxx

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
bow s at 50m runs down to 150m
pick your depth , nice
Sounds good to me. Any tec centers out that way will make a fortune over the next few years.

MMMmmmmmm, now that sounds like a good idea. lets see if the misses fancys moving to Greece:D :D

ATB
Gareth

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Do you reckon this ship could be salvaged at that depth? Or would it be left as it is?

Easily within salvage range, however I doubt it is worth a full recovery though an operation may be carried out to extract the possible victims.

If there is a large amount of loot in the ships strongroom (highly likely) then for sure commercial salvors will be called-in to snip the door off and clean it out. At present its likely to be a 'death-trap' with all manner of nasty gubbins waiting for someone to get near (shiver). If I end-up on the job I'll post - probably:)

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
From a Greek news geek;

"Thetis" Due in Santorini on Tuesday

Oceanographic ship "Filia" {Friendship in English) carrying bathyscaphe "Thetis" is due on Santorini on Tuesday, with the hope of shedding light to the search operation and possibly to the luck of the two missing passengers. "Thetis" is to submerge 120 metres below sea surface, where the cruise ship has slide, and take photos of its interior to make sure whether the shipwreck has been steadied. If not, any attempt to approach would prove rather dangerous. Besides, such a move requires a written permission by the island’s authorities.

As soon as the footage taken from Thetis proves that diving is not life-threatening, specialized divers are to dive to enter the interior of the wrecked cruiser, some 70 up to 130 metres below sea surface.

With regard to the oil spill spread in the area, the Mercantile Marine Ministry announced that 60% of the polluted area has been cleaned up, while some 410 tonnes of petroleum diesel have remained in the ship’s tank.

Sorry to put a damper on it but it'll be a while before recreational divers are allowed near it.

·
One Team One Dream
3,388 Posts
Think that may be due to the amount of Crow Bars sold at B& Q this weekend to BSAC dive clubs :embarassed:

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Knowing how touchy/tetchy the Greeks are about diving their waters (they wouldn't let us dive on our own RN vessels in Athens bay cos of the danger of 'archeaological vandalism' - navy divers vandals?:redface: ) you'll have more joy selling pork-pies to Mr Bin Laden than trying to dive her.

The wreck still has owners and the personal effects of passengers are still aboard as is 300-400tons of fuel-oil and lube. After commercial salvors have sorted the recoverables out they'll be a lot of diving ops to blow holes in her and make it less of a divers graveyard before you get near it. Take your jemmies along anyway, they'll come in usefull when you need to prize a Greek waiter off your wife/granny/son!:frown:

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
There was a nice piece of footage from the ROV yesterday on the BBC 6 o'clock news. Looked like it was at around 110mtrs, if I was reading the display correctly.

Plenty of fuel oil on the cliffs around there, so I guess diving there might be out of the question, unless they can clean it all up in couple of weeks.

Shame about the French bloke and his son, as they're still missing.

ColinM

·
Registered
507 Posts
From what I've read today the ship's stern is at 160m at the bow at 90m.
It seems that the ship stopped at that depth due to a big rock that is holding it. It is feared that if this big rock breaks the ship will sink down to around 300 metres

View image: m12 936195237007.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts