YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting site:-

Flood Maps

Combines google maps with elevation data to show the changing coastline with user selectable rises in sea level.

Useful for planning future dive sites or house buys :)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I was wondering a while back if such a site existed! Very interesting to see how my local geography woud change.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
with a 14 m rise I would be 30 seconds from the beach. roll on global warming:)

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
Ah, Burscough by the sea. The fabled isle of Blackpool. Bring it on - gets me nearer to the briney. I reckon another few metres and I'll be launching A RIB from my front lawn.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
flooded river trent anyone? I think my house insurance will rise steeply in a few years :frown:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Intriguing, the diff between 1m rise and 14m rise is no where near as spectacular as I would have expected.

In fact at 14m not much of the UK disappears at all.

Good find

The pure sea level rise doesn't tell that big a story on it's own; some of the real impacts come from erosion - on a sandy shoreline, every 1m rise in sea level gives you a 100m recession of beach and dunes. We are already seeing this locally; many of the areas which had wide beaches at low tide in photos just 40 yrs ago now have a very narrow sandy strip, with pronounced erosion along the edges.

Also. lots of wetlands disappear, at least in the short to medium term and they are enormously important ecologically.

With a 3m rise, we lose our airport, which considering it's on the only bit of flat land with clear approaches in two directions for 100kms would be a real p1sser.

Also, it might not affect the UK as a whole but you have to look at it in terms of where people live. Thames Estuary as far up as anywhere that's tidal wouldn't be too good.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
The pure sea level rise doesn't tell that big a story on it's own; some of the real impacts come from erosion - on a sandy shoreline, every 1m rise in sea level gives you a 100m recession of beach and dunes. We are already seeing this locally; many of the areas which had wide beaches at low tide in photos just 40 yrs ago now have a very narrow sandy strip, with pronounced erosion along the edges.

Also. lots of wetlands disappear, at least in the short to medium term and they are enormously important ecologically.

With a 3m rise, we lose our airport, which considering it's on the only bit of flat land with clear approaches in two directions for 100kms would be a real p1sser.

Also, it might not affect the UK as a whole but you have to look at it in terms of where people live. Thames Estuary as far up as anywhere that's tidal wouldn't be too good.
Also most current flooding events are caused by rainfall, not sea level rise.

However both are considered when undertaking Flood Risk Assessments for building developments.

Adrian

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Also most current flooding events are caused by rainfall, not sea level rise.

However both are considered when undertaking Flood Risk Assessments for building developments.

Adrian
I don't know your flooding was defiantly due to the rising sea in your suit :D

Graham

Reactions: 722

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
that made me giggle, basically anything more than 3m sees anything south of the A27 around Pompei and Selsey underwater.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts