YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Sea level rising

1K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  captn_peaky 
#1 ·
Interesting site:-

Flood Maps

Combines google maps with elevation data to show the changing coastline with user selectable rises in sea level.

Useful for planning future dive sites or house buys :)

#13 ·
The pure sea level rise doesn't tell that big a story on it's own; some of the real impacts come from erosion - on a sandy shoreline, every 1m rise in sea level gives you a 100m recession of beach and dunes. We are already seeing this locally; many of the areas which had wide beaches at low tide in photos just 40 yrs ago now have a very narrow sandy strip, with pronounced erosion along the edges.

Also. lots of wetlands disappear, at least in the short to medium term and they are enormously important ecologically.

With a 3m rise, we lose our airport, which considering it's on the only bit of flat land with clear approaches in two directions for 100kms would be a real p1sser.

Also, it might not affect the UK as a whole but you have to look at it in terms of where people live. Thames Estuary as far up as anywhere that's tidal wouldn't be too good.

#15 ·
Also most current flooding events are caused by rainfall, not sea level rise.

However both are considered when undertaking Flood Risk Assessments for building developments.

Adrian
I don't know your flooding was defiantly due to the rising sea in your suit :D

Graham

Reactions: 722
#8 ·
with a 14 m rise I would be 30 seconds from the beach. roll on global warming:)

#23 ·
That's interesting. Just seen that the clump of new houses they want to build which would spoil my nice view of the valley and the broads wouldn't survive even a 1m increase. ha.

Now, I wonder... it's supposedly quite easy to use the google maps api to make mashups. And I think there are lists of UK wrecks, right. So, a google map with wrecks, dive sites, recommended dive shops.... hmmmm, i see a project on the horizon!

#26 ·
That's interesting. Just seen that the clump of new houses they want to build which would spoil my nice view of the valley and the broads wouldn't survive even a 1m increase. ha.
Very common now to build on flood plains. That's where most of the empty space in towns is. And most of London is a flood plain.

I have a rule of thumb of roads names where I would not want to live. Roads such as Meadow Walk, Spring Rise, The Leys (certainly not Blackbird Leys). All a possible promise of local wetness.

#24 ·
You can do much of that now using Google Earth. Just enter the wrecks lat/long as a pushpin and share the data. Could have them linking to a webpage about it.

That way you dont need to mess with hosting, the API and so on as google earth already takes care of that.

Unless you want an SQL database with the wrecks location, description and slack water times :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.