YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Last time I took my MX10 on holiday the strobe wasn't going off every time.   There was no pattern.   Sometimes it worked first time, other times I took 3 or 4 shots until the strobe would go off.

The guys on the boat tested the strobe and said that was ok so the problem is in the camera.   Same thing happens with the inbuilt flash.   I'm reluctant to send the camera back for another big repair bill.  

Does anyone know anything I can do to help cure the problem please?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I just got a second-hand system, and when I tested it (on dryland) the strobe only went off intermittently. I noticed that it would charge up, and then lose it's charge.

It turned out that the batteries were a little too short for the battery compartment (although they were AAs) and so when the camera & strobe was tilted forward, there was no connection, but leaning it backwards remade the connection and it charged up again, giving the intermittent problem.

I hope this is your problem as fortunately this is easy to fix, as all you need to do is bend the metal contacts in the lid of the strobe outwards a bit and you're sorted.

I guess the way to check is turn the strobe on, and tilt around gently and make sure the light stays on.

Laters,
   Janos

PS - What settings do you normally use on your system - I'm off to Stoney to play with it properly for the first time tomorrow

·
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

The strobe has worked fine for years, its only a recent problem.   I can test the strobe when it is not attached to the camera by zapping the sensor with the TV remote control.   Sets the flash off everytime which makes me think the problem is in the camera?

A lot of the time I use f8 and the strobe on auto.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Does it use a sensor arrangement, fibre optic?

Try cleaning all the surfaces.  Or as Janos says if it relies on sensing the flash on the camera, check the battery connections that power the inbuilt flash.  Could just be a bit of corrosion/crud on the contacts or maybe they need a gentle tweak to make a better contact.

Daz

·
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks chaps for your help.

I'll have a play with it when I go on holiday next week.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Just a thought,  on the auto setting the strobe adjusts its output according to the ambient light level.  If you are shallow in clear water and strong natural light the strobe may decide it is not needed, so it wont fire, or its output is low enough that its visual effect is lost to the naked eye.

If you notice the strobe not firing when on auto, retake the shot with the strobe set to ON and see what happens then.

Hope that helps

Darren

·
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi Darren
Thanks for your advice.   I have been playing with the camera out here in El Gouna.   It's still playing up a bit but I have been on the Thistlegorm today and have had the photos developed already.   Not bad for my attempts!   It still won't flash everytime even in the darkness of the holds.

Really enjoyed the Thistlegorm.   Six other boats on the wreck.   Boat departed at 6am and took 3 hours to get there from El Gouna.   Beautiful flat calm sea with very little wind and small current.   24 degrees both in and out of the water.   Sunbathing in bikini inbetween dives and on the bow deck on the return.   Wonderful.   Not meaning to piss anyone off here

Have a wonderful Christmas Day everyone.   I'm off diving again .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts