YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gravel crunched under the tyres and the rumble of the engine covered the gasps of the on lookers. The heavy door of the Jeep swung open and Mark slid from the drivers seat and slowly removed his aviator sun glasses.

There was a stunned silence and finally Howard stammered out the first words,

"My God...... Mark....... I really didn't think you were going to make it.

I took a last draw of the cigarette between my lips and flicked it to the floor crushing it under foot.

"No problem, I just told Ling who's boss, packed the car and came diving"

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllll

After the hysterical laughter died down and I had suffered the ignominy of being told I was full of s#it, we finally gathered our Kit and loaded the boat.

You see about 12 hours prior to this my darling wife had informed me I was doing the school run because she was going on an assignment. I pointed out I was going diving so couldn't do it. This didn't go down well. Ling countered that i went diving last week. I pointed out I didn't actually go diving as it was canceled. Ling replied that wasn't her problem I was planning to go diving and its the thought that counts???

I was somewhat flawed by this argument and needed at least 24 hours to formulate a suitable response.

Ling then asked the 10,000,000 dollar question.....

I thought you were diving next week?

"Yes i am" i said "Wednesday and Thursday"

Wellllll, I phoned the roofer to come round and re tile the roof, then I phoned Howard and told him i wont be coming.

Of we jog to the Invicter Grammar introduction evening for Angela's new school. 9:30 we get home and Ling finds the assignment is canceled.

Soooooooo can I pretty please go diving then? Says I

"Spose so" says she :D

GAME ON

I finished putting the kit together by about midnight and i set the alarm for 6. I was awake at 5:45 and ready to go by 6:10 so thought sod it an left.

Thank god for that because i bearly made it for 8:30 Pore old CHarlyT was only coming 40miles and he didn't make it at all :(. The traffic was appalling.

So with three divers missing six intrepid explorers were left

JP Taylor
Iani
ScubaJ
Howard
Nigel
and Me

The sea was less than calm as we set off, a good 2m swell all around us but somehow Steve's new boat made light of it and we settled in for the two and a half hour journey to the Seaford Ferry.

I had a great chat with ScubaJay on the way out and was highly amused when told that Jay felt it was a big dive but of course a 48m dive was nothing for me :D I informed Jay that only a few years ago (2002 I looked it up) I puked on the way out to do the Moldavia as i was so nervous about doing my first 50m dive :D

Howard was to be my buddy and he had put down on the list for a 90min run time which surprised me a bit but I went with it anyway. Steve said he was happy to let us extend it a bit if we liked.

We hit the water second and i had a bit of a problem. My torch cable was caught on something and i couldn't use my right arm fully so i was struggling to get down the shot. The tide was still running a bit so that didn't help. I got a red light on my new HUD so i went for the 02 inject but I over did it so it was now going mad as i spiked the 02 badly. Then I overdid the dill flush so it dropped too far so i injected 02 and spiked it again. Christ i was making a right hash of the decent.

Finally on the wreck and I let Howard lead the way while i sorted out my PP02. Viz wasn't bad. maybe 5-6m with a fair bit of clumpy plankton string but more than doable. The Seaford Ferry was more broken up than i had expected but the mid section where the boilers stood was still intact and a couple of promising penetration points were on offer.

I was tempted to crawl over the boiler to see if there were any nice gage's at the other end but I was coughing a lot and suffering indigestion heart burn so i decided to keep it simple. Howard seemed happy too as it was a bit of a squeeze to get down.

We content ourselves with studying the beautiful anemones and corrals on the wreck. It is definitely a pretty dive. I wish my wife would do a 48m wreck as id love to show her just how good a UK dive can be. The fish were prolific. At one point w had a wall of Pollock beside us so dense you couldn't see through it. There were also two of the most lovely co-co wrasse (SP) and i spotted a ling in one of the dark recess's of the boiler room.

Howard led us on a circuit of the boilers spotting a small lobster for me to have as a peace offering for Ling. This was quickly bagged. We went over loads of broken china and an intact toilet just stood there looking somewhat out of place on the deck. Howard was obviously very impressed with his first circuit so he did it again :D

I was sure we had passed this bit before and once again reaching the toilet was final confirmation that Howard's navigation skills were almost as bad as my own.

Howard signaled the bag and sadly with 45mins showing it was time to go. A bit of faf with Howard's SMB slowed leaving the bottom a bit but we were soon on the way to deco. My indigestion was pretty bad by now so i tended to keep heads up to keep the bile down (lovely image). Howard on the other hand demoed his lovely flat deco ascent which i have to say was looking pretty good. The bugger had all his bailout deco stages on the left and is doing perfect ascents, he's obviously going to those DIR puddles far too often :D

Howard's VR3 had a totally different ascent to my own so we just did who's ever stop was showing now. I managed to make a right hash of the PP02 on the ascent again which was damed annoying an in the end my 10/85GF cleared with Howard showing another 8mins.

Getting back on the boat was a bit of an adventure. The lift platform was going from just above the surface to 5ft under water every two seconds so getting the timing right was pretty important.

Back on board with 120mins on the clock and Steve just shook his head and didn't even bother telling us off :D. Mind you he had caught a very nice cod whilst we were diving so he was in high spirits. Howard decided that being so cool on deco was spoiling his image so he went arse over tit on the boat in full kit just to regain some comedy status :D

Every one seemed to have had a great dive. I for one will be doing this wreck again and next time ill have a crack at getting up past those boilers.

A dive that wasn't supposed to happen is a sweet dive and this one was sweeter than most.

Nice one Howard thanks for arranging it.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
So do I :frown: Bloody hell Chasey 40 minutes at 6m :eek: - you two must have been clean as a nuns whatsits after that lot :D

Reactions: Diving Dude

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Great report mate, sounds like "Fun"

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
l can't really add much to Chasey's report on my FIRST dive of the day (more of that later) except that l did look at the spaces beside the boiler and thought if l'd still been on OC l could've squeezed into them.

This started last tuesday when Steve Johnson, the skipper of Channel Diver told me that our proposed three day french gigette was canned because of bad weather, so l asked him what day he was free and what did he suggest in 45-50mtrs. So we opted for the Seaford Ferry, a wreck l'd not done before.

Mark, l was directly behind you on the line and untangled your torch a couple of times and then it got snagged again, so l think the battery really needs to be moved.

At the end of the dive, all my gear was packed in the car and l was chatting to John and Nigel and l wondered what the divers going up the ramp were doing. Nigel says "Steves going out again". l check with the skipper and he has spaces and if leaving in forty minutes. So l load my gear back on the boat and off we go again.

Steve does evening dives on tuesdays and thursdays and when the tide times suit he will do a local wreck. This time it was to be the City of London in 25 mtrs, which is a wreck l'd not done before.

Whilst on the boat another divers asks if l mind if he buddies me, which l don't, except that him buddying me in his mind meant him doing exactly what he wanted with me chasing around after him.
l looked into a hole, turned around and he was gone, yippee l thought, now l can mooch about on my own.

l came across an inverted part of the hull which looked easily penetrable so l peered in and it went a fair way, so l popped out tied a line off and went back in. l followed the propshaft, which was above me for about 29 mtrs then a large opening appeared, however l turned and retraced the line.

l'd say there was 3 to 4 mtrs of very light vis, still a lot of plankton in the water, but it was an absolute joy to dive without dragging that numpty Chasey around and even better, at the end of my 55mins bottom time l had about a minute of deco which l extended to 5.

So, after all the crap weather we've had it was great to sneak out on a work day and two good dives in.

How was work for the rest of you?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Wish I could have been with you on the dive - bloody glad I wasn't with you on deco ;)

Sounds bloody good fun guys - and, as ever, great report Mark. Nice to be reminded that UK sea diving is still possible after my track record this season. My timing has been awful.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
l can't really add much to Chasey's report on my FIRST dive of the day (more of that later) except that l did look at the spaces beside the boiler and thought if l'd still been on OC l could've squeezed into them.

This started last tuesday when Steve Johnson, the skipper of Channel Diver told me that our proposed three day french gigette was canned because of bad weather, so l asked him what day he was free and what did he suggest in 45-50mtrs. So we opted for the Seaford Ferry, a wreck l'd not done before.

Mark, l was directly behind you on the line and untangled your torch a couple of times and then it got snagged again, so l think the battery really needs to be moved.

At the end of the dive, all my gear was packed in the car and l was chatting to John and Nigel and l wondered what the divers going up the ramp were doing. Nigel says "Steves going out again". l check with the skipper and he has spaces and if leaving in forty minutes. So l load my gear back on the boat and off we go again.

Steve does evening dives on tuesdays and thursdays and when the tide times suit he will do a local wreck. This time it was to be the City of London in 25 mtrs, which is a wreck l'd not done before.

Whilst on the boat another divers asks if l mind if he buddies me, which l don't, except that him buddying me in his mind meant him doing exactly what he wanted with me chasing around after him.
l looked into a hole, turned around and he was gone, yippee l thought, now l can mooch about on my own.

l came across an inverted part of the hull which looked easily penetrable so l peered in and it went a fair way, so l popped out tied a line off and went back in. l followed the propshaft, which was above me for about 29 mtrs then a large opening appeared, however l turned and retraced the line.

l'd say there was 3 to 4 mtrs of very light vis, still a lot of plankton in the water, but it was an absolute joy to dive without dragging that numpty Chasey around and even better, at the end of my 55mins bottom time l had about a minute of deco which l extended to 5.

So, after all the crap weather we've had it was great to sneak out on a work day and two good dives in.

How was work for the rest of you?
So good it was worth posting twice hey dude?

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do I :frown: Bloody hell Chasey 40 minutes at 6m :eek: - you two must have been clean as a nuns whatsits after that lot :D

If you look at the shaded orange bit, thats the deco schedule. You can see at the bottom i was following the VR3 because i wasn't shallow enough for the 10/85 GF stops. Then in the mid range I managed to track correctly and keep Howard in view.

The 6 & 3m stops were a total of 27mins (Slightly extended because i did the deep VR3 stops)

The rest was clearing the VR3 and a slow ascent.

Gas 18/45, Howard was on 21/50

ATB

Mark Chase

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
The 6 & 3m stops were a total of 27mins (Slightly extended because i did the deep VR3 stops)
83mins to 120mins gives me 37mins, unless I am reading it wrong. I thought I was the one who was bad at maths :)

I hadn't noticed the other information on the graph; I take it the green line is the ppO2? Looks like you had fun trying to keep it under control during the ascent ;) What is the red jagged line?

It is nice that you can get print outs like this to enable sound debriefs to take place (and I mean that in a serious way, not a piss take way). It is too easy to wonder wtf happened but at least you get all the info here for you in one place.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
l can't understand why anyone is asking questions about the deco and not the wreck(s).
Its the least interesting, most boring bit of the whole day.

l blame Chasey for posting the dive profile.

Most of my early diving years was spent diving with my son and daughter and from day one, we agreed that anyone could can a dive for any reason without an inquest, then the webbed fingered inbreds from Florida copied us. Now l wonder, whats the difference between , even jokingly saying you've done too much deco to questioning someone who's canned a dive?

The last thing anyone would want is if someone reading this thread decided to shorten the deco because that's what they read on the interwebby.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing as much deco as you want to do. Also until the last post, I had no idea what the gas being breathed was so it could have been air ;)

The schedule posted, in my very little experience of deep diving, seems longer than I would have done at the 6m stop that's all.

41mins at an average of what looks like 46m (call it 48m) would give me around 46mins of deco, rounded up to 50mins to make the math easy and to take into account the fact that you are on the 'less safe' side of the RD curve. The last 25mins of that 50 mins would have been done at 6m and then up. This sort of dive is pretty close to the RD 'window' which Garf alluded to on the RD for T1 thread which he started.

However, until I have done these dives myself I won't know how my body will react. It might be that TFT will need to extend their stops to stop me being bent :)

Finally, this is the first time I have seen a print-out of a CCR dive computer which logs all the other information. Having heard that it is sometimes a laugh (sic!) trying to control ppO2 on a fast ascent (until deep stops), then I can see what they mean from this picture. Again more learning for me.

Edit: Reason why I am not asking questions is that this is the only picture Mark had on the thread :)

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
83mins to 120mins gives me 37mins, unless I am reading it wrong. I thought I was the one who was bad at maths :)

I hadn't noticed the other information on the graph; I take it the green line is the ppO2? Looks like you had fun trying to keep it under control during the ascent ;) What is the red jagged line?

It is nice that you can get print outs like this to enable sound debriefs to take place (and I mean that in a serious way, not a piss take way). It is too easy to wonder wtf happened but at least you get all the info here for you in one place.

But the deco line (orange block) dosent go to 120mins does it

The Green line is PP02. I have never used a smithers code HUD to run a dive before. This first go didnt go well on either decent or ascent. I over compensated in both directions. I dont quite know why as with the normal wrist display I dont think I strugled that bad. Possably the smiters coad on the HUD is slower to react than the old hand set or possably it just me :D

I am sure ill get used to it. Check out Friday as i have a couple more dives coming up.

Red line is ascent and decent rate.

ATB

Mark Chase
ATB

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The schedule posted, in my very little experience of deep diving, seems longer than I would have done at the 6m stop that's all.

41mins at an average of what looks like 46m (call it 48m) would give me around 46mins of deco, rounded up to 50mins to make the math easy and to take into account the fact that you are on the 'less safe' side of the RD curve. The last 25mins of that 50 mins would have been done at 6m and then up. This sort of dive is pretty close to the RD 'window' which Garf alluded to on the RD for T1 thread which he started.

[/I]

Yes call it 48 and include the decent time as i would and you should till you find out how you feel thats 47mins @ 48m

Using DOTF deco would be 47mins + 5mins for the additional depth so 52mins.

50% of that 52mins will be at the 6m stop which is 26mins.

The GF deco 10/85 profile posted shows 27mins at 6m

Even alowing for the decent and saying 41mins your 6m stop would be 22mins against 27mins

Your overall deco including deep stops and ascent would be within 10mins of us, so please give us a break as we are old fat farts who like to feel OK after a dive.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
But the deco line (orange block) dosent go to 120mins does it
I think the problem is that I don't understand the print out, I thought the black line was the deco, or is that the in-water profile? That makes more sense then. Can you force the computer to do the last stop at 6m as this appears to be what you want to do most of the time?
Your overall deco including deep stops and ascent would be within 10mins of us, so please give us a break as we are old fat farts who like to feel OK after a dive.
:)

As I was typing up the last reply I realised it wasn't that far off if you did include the descent in the profile. As I also said, I haven't done much in this realm, so I might need longer myself to feel fine. Bottom line though, is have fun diving :D

Take care Mark

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
Wind had dropped but there was still a bit of swell from the previous days SW winds. Ian & I were first pair in, still some current as we descended the line & for first 5mins on wreck. I found the wreck a little disappointing, quite small, upright section around boilers, bows & stern sections were collapsed into the sea bed. We swam to the bows, then did a couple of circuits of the main section. Some broken plates on wreck & plenty of lobsters, crabs etc, some quite large. Viz was quite good with some ambient light, still lots of plankton stuff in shallows that was blocking out light.

Coming up to 40min, Ian indicated he'd had a cell go down & thumbed the dive, it was Ok with me as I was ready to leave.

I cleared deco after 95min, Ian was about 10mins later as he was was on 10/50 compared to my 17/32 diluent. I did the deep stops my VR3 asked for as Ian was on a Boris & therefore running VR3 based deco; normally I'd have skipped the first deep stop on the VR3 & ascended up to the Visions ceiling depth.

Good day out, better than been in the office!

JT

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reactions: GLOC
1 - 20 of 24 Posts