YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Everyone

I'm arranging a Seasearch Observer Course in central Edinburgh on Saturday, November 8th. Details below if anyone is interested.......

Seasearch is a national project for volunteer sports divers who have an interest in what they're seeing under water, want to learn more and want to help protect the marine environment.

The main aim is to map out the various types of sea bed found in the near-shore zone, up to about 5 miles off the coast or 30m depth around the whole of the British Isles. In addition Seasearch are recording what lives in each area, establishing the richest sites for marine life, the sites where there are problems and the sites which need protection.

Seasearch Training
Seasearch Observer is a one-day course aimed at giving divers new to the project and new to marine recording a basic grounding. At the end of the course you should be able to complete the Seasearch Observation Form and take part in Seasearch Dives either on your own, with your club or on dives organised by Seasearch Partners.

During the course you'll learn about Seasearch - its aims, history and achievements, a basic introduction to the variety of marine life in UK waters, recognising and classifying marine habitats, position fixing, and how to fill in the Observation Form. The day concludes with a 'video dive' and an opportunity to fill in a form without even getting wet!

The course includes a splash proof course pack and everything you'll need to go ahead and get started. The tutors are all divers themselves and drawn from our partner organisations and keen Seasearchers.

During the course you'll get a Seasearch Qualification booklet. Once you have completed 5 for real (two on dives with a Tutor present) you can get signed up as a Seasearch Observer.

Seasearch Observer Training Course
A Seasearch Observer Course will be held on Saturday November 8th in central Edinburgh, starting at 9am and running through to about 5pm. The course will be run by Calum Duncan of the Marine Conservation Society, with help from experienced Seasearch enthusiasts. The course costs £20 per person, a programme can be downloaded here. Places are limited so booking is essential. The course is classroom based and suitable for anyone with an interest in learning more about the marine environment. For qualified divers it may be possible to arrange a Seasearch Dive on Sunday 9th.

If you would like to take part, or would like more information please let me know, I've attached the programme for information, for more info about Seasearch visit the website

cheers

@lison

visit the Seasearch website

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Guys

I can recomend the course, i did one at the start of the season and have done 6 or so observer dives since then. It tends to give your diving a new focus, and i certainly look at all the sea growths in a different light now.

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Does it make a difference in what size of Lobsters you can have for the pot
?
??

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi M8,

Well as you asked, i have not actually seen one on a seasearch dive. It would be frowned upon, and as they are paying half my dive cost i would restrain myself.

But the temptation!!!

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Sep. 12 2003,21:28)]I can recomend the course, i did one at the start of the season and have done 6 or so observer dives since then. It tends to give your diving a new focus, and i certainly look at all the sea growths in a different light now.

Thanks for the recommendation Paul, I havent done the course yet but I'm really looking forward to it!

With regard to lobbies - it might help you decide which to take and which to leave......

Smallfry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Sep. 12 2003,21:28)]I can recomend the course, i did one at the start of the season and have done 6 or so observer dives since then.
Hi Paul

thanks for the PR, it's good to hear you're experience of Seasearch,

@lison

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Smallfry

I have always been careful to only take those big enough and never females in berry

The smallest i have ever had for the pot would be about twice the size of the ones you see in the shops and fish markets around here.

Regards

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts