YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

http://www.seasearch.org.uk/

I know at least one YD-er (Paul Oliver) has done a Seasearch course, but I thought I'd give the scheme a bit of a promo as I've taken some steps to get involved with this too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHAT IT IS
"Seasearch is a national project for volunteer sports divers who have an interest in what they're seeing under water, want to learn more and want to help protect the marine environment.

The main aim is to map out the various types of sea bed found in the near-shore zone, up to about 5 miles off the coast or 30m depth around the whole of the British Isles. In addition we are recording what lives in each area, establishing the richest sites for marine life, the sites where there are problems and the sites which need protection. "

WHERE IT'S AT
Heres some dates for training incase anyone facies giving it a whirl

London (South Kensington) Saturday 20th March - organiser Leonora Lang [email protected]

Nottingham - Saturday 3rd April - organiser Josie Pegg [email protected]

Truro - Saturday 17th April - organiser Ruth Williams [email protected]

Kimmeridge, Dorset - Saturday 1st May (with optional dive on Sunday) - organiserPeter Tinsley [email protected]

Billericay, Essex - Saturday 1st May (with optional dive on Sunday) - organiser Stuart Wilson [email protected]

Lewes, Sussex - Saturday 1st May - organiser Kate Cole [email protected]

Portsmouth & Southsea - Saturday 8th May (with optional dive on Sunday) - organiser Alison Mayor [email protected]

North Wales (Bangor or Anglesey) - Saturday 8th May (with optional dive on Sunday) - organiser Kirsten Ramsay [email protected]

Kent - Sunday 9th May, Saturday 22nd May(with optional dive on Sunday), Sunday 6th June and Saturday 10th July (with optional dive on Sunday) - organiser Jonathan Bramley [email protected]

London (City) Sunday 9th May - organiser Zoe Murphy [email protected]

Portaferry, Northern Ireland - Saturday 15th May (with dives on Sunday) - organiser Claire Mullen [email protected]

Lewes, Sussex - Saturday 15th May - organiser Kate Cole [email protected]

Tynenouth (Blue Reef Aquarium) - Saturday 5th June (with dives on the Sunday) - organiser Zahra [email protected]

Manacles, Cornwall - 23rd-25th July (as a part of an MCS Member's Dives long weekend) - organiser Chris Wood [email protected]

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

Me and Liz did the "Observer" course a month ago in Edinburgh with the excellent Callum Duncan and had a great time.

Although we're into our sea-life, we were surprised at how much we didn't know!

It's not rocket science and you don't need to be "van Gogh" to do the sketches. It's basically common sense and lots of practice.

We thouroughly enjoyed the course and we also did two dives the day after. If anyone is doing the course and a day's diving is organised, try and get on it. The tutor doing the dives will put you right with any problems, and, not a priority but still important, to qualify as an "Observer", you need to do 5 dives, 2 of which MUST be signed off by a tutor.

According to our man Callum, over 600 people sat the course last year but only 20 or so have qualified.

If anybody is interested in sea-life, do the course, it's well worth it, and as Steve says, you're also giving something back at the same time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

Just another quick point before I get mi coat
:

Me and Liz enjoyed it so much we're already talking about carrying on and doing the "Surveyor" course when we can.

Trouble is, we might have to go "darn sarf" for it and we don't drink shandy!

Any distilleries on the south coast?

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A few of us were talking about doing the May one in Anglesey. A club member is getting more info on it this week.

FB

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ Mar. 19 2004,18:05)]Trouble is, we might have to go "darn sarf" for it and we don't drink shandy!

Any distilleries on the south coast?
No distilleries as far as I know, but some damn fine real ale pubs, including one near Swanage/Kimmeridge with it's little own natural history museum!

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Jolly good
Just done me Observer course down in London
Doing a seasearch dive in June, down in Kent somewhere, 13 June, YD buddy would be handy

Looks promising for the future as it gives a different perspective

1 - 8 of 8 Posts