YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my dampsuit and really want a good product that will actually be dry . I am pretty sure I want to go and get measured up and pretty sure I would like neoprene material but not set in stone about that.

I have noted the company seaskin on these forums quite a lot and would be very grateful for any feedback from anyone who has bought one of their suits. Our club dives the atlantic off N west Donegal from Easter through to October so ice dive warmth not priority but dryness is please !

I suppose anyone with horror stories about seaskin , I would like to hear also as this time I am prepared to spend the money to get a quality product and so hope to choose wisely. There seems to be a wealth of experience on these forums and I would like to tap in to it if I can.
Cheers,
Mal

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Don't worry Malachy, Outer Edge is another make of drysuit.

I don't have a seaskil suit but if you put seaskin in to the search box I am sure you will find some information probably posted by Mark Davies as he has good things to say about them.

I have recently been to Seaskin to have the boots changed from my Otter suit and Seaskin replaced them with neo socks. Seems to be a good job.

They were very helpfull and a nice bunch of people.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I have a seaskin laminate front loader... great service. 3.5 weeks from measure to collection. I went up there to be measured but most people us their online measuring guide. Prometheus has one of their neo suits so pm him for his views if he doesn't jump in with comments. I've only done 5 dives in mine so far but all dry. with the pockets, zip cover and neo boots it added up a little but still great value IMHO

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
My personal recommendation is the Outer Edge Drysuit, which as mentioned above is made by sports components
Sports Components Ltd.

Top drysuit, and top service from them after buying, all in my experience of course. I've done about 60 dives in mine so far.

I know a couple of people with Seaskin suits, and they also seem to be gettnig a very good reputation. I would be happy to go for either from what I have seen.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Some one mention my name?, Seaskin , love my compressed neo, Richard who runs the place is great for sorting out what you want, Ian1904 did a write up on them when he bought a suit I think, if you use the search function on this site and enter seaskin you will find lots of reports.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got the Seaskin membrane suit, superb service from richard, great DRYsuit, well made in Yorkshire not China.
Good value for money, extras well priced such as pockets and different boots. Comfortable to wear with its extendable back system, front entry zip as standard.
I have only had it a short while (about 20 dives) so cant comment on its long term use but it feels and looks very well made.

Hope this helps you decide.
Gareth

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have a Seaskin neoprene suit, I've had it for a little short of two years and done something like a hundred dives in it.

On the whole i'm quite happy with it.
I've not had a wet dive, it's comfortable enough to be able to spend a full day in, there's lots of flexibility in the material and it's standing up well to the abuse i've given it.

In short, it's a very good suit that doesn't cost a fortune.

However if compare it to an O3 Ri, you will see the differance, and yes I have compared the two. My wife has an O3 Ri.

:)

·
9,453 Posts
I
However if compare it to an O3 Ri, you will see the differance, and yes I have compared the two. My wife has an O3 Ri.

:)
How do the prices compare?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Other branch members also have Seaskin suits.
Can't fault mine either - really good value for money, and the service was excellent (and quick, which is good for impatient bods like me!).

Only thing is that with more experience I probably wouldn't go for a front-loading suit again - have to put my neck at a very peculiar angle to get it on and off, and have to keep reminding myself to beware of sitting on neck seal when trundling around with suit halfway on pre-dive.

Cath

·
9,453 Posts
It's sitting on the inflation valve that gets me, :teeth: but I would still choose a front loader and as for prices, I looked at outer edge prices today and with comparable extra options they came out nearly £100 more than I paid for my seaskin, admittedly mine is laminate rather than crushed neo though.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I'd struggle to find any fault with mine.

I've been diving it for some time now and it's still bone-dry. As Fiona said, I've been singing its praises since I got it. I'd be interested to see the differences with the long exhalted O'Three suits that are so favoured in the south, because looking at mine I'd really struggle to see where the standard of finish can be improved. One thing is for certain, if they are any better I'd very much doubt it's worth paying an extra £400 for!

Bottom line is you get exactly what you ask for, well made and at an excellent price.

I got the front entry trilaminate. I added a zip cover, neo neck warmer, neo-lined boots, reflective patches, two cargo pockets and a knife holder - all done exactly the way I want it. Also got a tailor made undersuit (and frankly I've never seen a better one) and still the whole lot only cost £600. The equivalent Otter Brittanic, without an undersuit and off-the-peg, sets you back over £800. As I say, it's still bone-dry so where is the doubt about quality?

I challenge anybody to find a better suit for anything like that kind of money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.